Save the Post office from our government

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
Our post office is not "broke," our government is destroying it. Please sign the petition to help save the post office.

Congress: Stop Destroying Our Postal Service

See, in 2006 George W. Bush’s Republican Congress signed a bill to effectively kill the Postal Service, requiring it to pre-fund their workers’ health benefits *75 YEARS* into the future.

No country, corporation or government service has EVER been required to fund the full retiree health benefits for workers that aren’t even born yet – there is literally no financial reason to do so unless you wanted to kill the Postal Service for purely ideological reasons.

There is a ton of fat that can be trimmed before anything else is proposed. Saturday delivery and getting rid of the post offices that don't do enough business to cover their payroll would be a good start.

There is a ton of fat that can be trimmed before anything else is proposed. Saturday delivery and getting rid of the post offices that don't do enough business to cover their payroll would be a good start.

They wouldn't have to trim anything if they didn't have to provide 75 years worth of retirement and medical. Did you even read the link?

I favor doing away with Saturday delivery.
I think email, e-bill pay, and e-banking are killing the postal service more than Congress.
But on the bright side, a lot of e-commerce requires delivery.

Our post office is not "broke," our government is destroying it. Please sign the petition to help save the post office.

Congress: Stop Destroying Our Postal Service

See, in 2006 George W. Bush’s Republican Congress signed a bill to effectively kill the Postal Service, requiring it to pre-fund their workers’ health benefits *75 YEARS* into the future.

No country, corporation or government service has EVER been required to fund the full retiree health benefits for workers that aren’t even born yet – there is literally no financial reason to do so unless you wanted to kill the Postal Service for purely ideological reasons.

that bill was co-sponsored by 2 Democrats.....so dont blame it on just Republicans.....the Democrats are just as guilty as they are today for not doing a dam thing to repeal it....

Postmaster Generals at the state and federal level have been trying to do this for 20 years.
But they are fought tooth and nail by legislators to score political points for "saving our local post office".
The Post Office has it's hands tied behind their backs trying to run an organization efficiently with the postal unions and constant government interference.
I have worked with the Post Office for many years.

They wouldn't have to trim anything if they didn't have to provide 75 years worth of retirement and medical. Did you even read the link?

The whole thing stinks of the UPS/FEDEX lobby.

:lmao:

2 Dems and its a wash? C'mon!

Anywho, I didn't know that they had to cover the benes that far into the future.

The year is 2013:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AiKOhAEbAU]The Postman Theatrical Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Yup...that is exactly who wants to destroy the PO. That's a lot of real estate up for grabs.

The point is they need to trim things, there are post offices all over the country that have very little business and have other offices within a few miles of them. These post offices need to be closed, but the union is fighting it tooth and nail. I drive by a post office on a regular basis and rarely see a car there, why are we paying to keep it open? Also would you really miss Saturday delivery, I know I wouldn't, so why pay for it. You can choose to stand up for union excess, I don't, so we can agree to disagree.

The point is they need to trim things, there are post offices all over the country that have very little business and have other offices within a few miles of them. These post offices need to be closed, but the union is fighting it tooth and nail. I drive by a post office on a regular basis and rarely see a car there, why are we paying to keep it open? Also would you really miss Saturday delivery, I know I wouldn't, so why pay for it. You can choose to stand up for union excess, I don't, so we can agree to disagree.

Yes, I would miss Saturday delivery. We have two post offices in this city of 84,000 people and they're are crowded every time I go, both of them and no parking spaces to be found. Usually have to park in the grocery store parking lot next door.

Don't know what post office you're driving by, but are you sure you're driving by when it's open?

Yup...that is exactly who wants to destroy the PO. That's a lot of real estate up for grabs.

yep and my Union found out that Feinsteins husbands firm is handling those real estate deals here in Cal.......he is making a bundle.....they just sold our building for 3 mil...they wrote Feinstein a letter asking her about this and why she is quiet about Sat Delivery.....she danced around both questions and gave them some other bullshit....

apparently it was mandated that there be a PO for every zip code.....

Yes, I would miss Saturday delivery. We have two post offices in this city of 84,000 people and they're are crowded every time I go, both of them and no parking spaces to be found. Usually have to park in the grocery store parking lot next door.

Don't know what post office you're driving by, but are you sure you're driving by when it's open?

It's in a little community called Dobin, TX which might have a sprawling population of 60 or so. As for you other question, I've been around long enough to know postal hours.

apparently it was mandated that there be a PO for every zip code.....

Funny my PO serves 2 zips, 77315 and 77316.

It's in a little community called Dobin, TX which might have a sprawling population of 60 or so. As for you other question, I've been around long enough to know postal hours.

Do you think your small community should have no post office?

Forum List

Back