Satellite data show Earth's glaciers in massive decline

The world's most renowned climate scientist...

idiot-retard.jpg

Some of the world's best climate scientists. These are the authors of "The Physical Science Basis" of the IPCC's 5th Assessment Report; Working Group I. I'd bet a dollar to a donut you've never heard of any of them.

PIC52d67738d1a108.01291713.JPG
CUBASCH, Ulrich
Freie Universität Berlin
Germany

PIC52d7ddcb5a8a30.52498363.JPG
WUEBBLES, Donald
University of Illinois
USA

PIC5aa192566969d2.85389749.JPG
CHEN, Deliang
University of Gothenburg
Sweden

PIC52d7b126b12108.04538313.JPG
FACCHINI, Maria Cristina
Institute of Atmospheric Sciences and Climate (ISAC)
Italy

PIC5aa249da248fe1.73192388.PNG
FRAME, David
Victoria University of Wellington
New Zealand

PIC52d7b1bb303562.25778953.JPG
MAHOWALD, Natalie
Cornell University
USA

PIC52d7b17a34e996.44702384.JPG
WINTHER, Jan-Gunnar
Norwegian Polar Institute
Norway

PIC52d677ed35bca6.48467782.JPG
DING, Yihui
China Meteorological Administration
China

PIC52d78a6528e3a6.24760614.JPG
MEARNS, Linda
National Center for Atmospheric Research
USA

PIC52d7c6582c0787.85530678.JPG
WADHAMS, Peter
University of Cambridge
UK

And could care less about what they have to say.

idiot-retard.jpg

Some of the world's best climate scientists. These are the authors of "The Physical Science Basis" of the IPCC's 5th Assessment Report; Working Group I. I'd bet a dollar to a donut you've never heard of any of them.

CUBASCH, Ulrich
Freie Universität Berlin
Germany

WUEBBLES, Donald
University of Illinois
USA

CHEN, Deliang
University of Gothenburg
Sweden

FACCHINI, Maria Cristina
Italy

FRAME, David
New Zealand

MAHOWALD, Natalie
Cornell University
USA

WINTHER, Jan-Gunnar
Norway

DING, Yihui
China

MEARNS, Linda
USA

WADHAMS, Peter
University of Cambridge
UK

And I, you.

Glaciers used to be generally in decline before Al Gore came along. Now they are in "massive decline". If it's true it's a byproduct of the Earth's geological emergence from the last ice age. The Sun is always the culprit but you can't make an extortion grab on the world's (U.S.) economy by blaming the Sun. That having been said the prediction is for snow in upstate New York on the 1st day of May.

Glaciers used to be generally in decline before Al Gore came along. Now they are in "massive decline". If it's true it's a byproduct of the Earth's geological emergence from the last ice age. The Sun is always the culprit but you can't make an extortion grab on the world's (U.S.) economy by blaming the Sun. That having been said the prediction is for snow in upstate New York on the 1st day of May.

Would liberals be whining this much if the glaciers were advancing?

The fact of the matter is, the temperate of the earth is dictated by the sun, and the sun is entering a cooling cycle, as it has done since before man inhabited the planet. That's how we had a mini ice age just 10,000 years ago, and it appears we could experience quite a cooling spell again in the very near future, because of the SUN. So all this frenzied worry about a glacier melting is just moronic. We can't do a damn thing about it anyway.

The FACT of the matter is that the temperature of the Earth is dictated BOTH by the behavior of the sun and of the atmosphere of the Earth. The sun is NOT responsible for the warming of the last century and a half and the warming from increased GHGs is more than sufficient to overwhelm any decrease in solar irradiance we're likely to see in the next two centuries.

So how does atmospheric CO2 heat the deep ocean?

The sun doesn't right?

Let's imagine the Earth at two different points in its history. At both points, we shall imagine, the output of the sun is perfectly equal. But one Earth is a snowball and almost entirely covered with ice and snow. We shall imagine that it has no It has an albedo, we shall say of 0.94. 94% of the sun's incident radiation is reflected back into space. As a result of this, this Earth is extremely cold with a global temperature of -20C or lower.

Our second Earth, outside of a few tall northern mountains, has no permanent ice at all. It poles are clear of ice and snow. It's global temperature is 18C or warmer.

Your comment that the Sun is always the culprit is wrong. At all times it is the emission characteristics of the sun and the reception characteristics of the Earth that determine the result.

Let's imagine the Earth at two different points in its history. At both points, we shall imagine, the output of the sun is perfectly equal. But one Earth is a snowball and almost entirely covered with ice and snow. We shall imagine that it has no It has an albedo, we shall say of 0.94. 94% of the sun's incident radiation is reflected back into space. As a result of this, this Earth is extremely cold with a global temperature of -20C or lower.

Our second Earth, outside of a few tall northern mountains, has no permanent ice at all. It poles are clear of ice and snow. It's global temperature is 18C or warmer.

Your comment that the Sun is always the culprit is wrong. At all times it is the emission characteristics of the sun and the reception characteristics of the Earth that determine the result.

The Sun is a digital heat source.

The things one learns from the AGW Cult

I'm so sick of this climate change shit I can not begin to tell you

idiot-retard.jpg

CUBASCH, Ulrich
Freie Universität Berlin
Germany

WUEBBLES, Donald
University of Illinois
USA

CHEN, Deliang
University of Gothenburg
Sweden

FACCHINI, Maria Cristina
Italy

FRAME, David
New Zealand

MAHOWALD, Natalie
Cornell University
USA

WINTHER, Jan-Gunnar
Norway

DING, Yihui
China

MEARNS, Linda
USA

WADHAMS, Peter
University of Cambridge
UK

And every prediction they have ever made, was wrong. Palm readers are more accurate.

Do you think everything should remain stable on this planet?...how do you know a warmer global temperature isn't just what the earth needs at this time in its evolution?....

We need to eliminate GHG emissions. What that costs depends a great deal on you and I. I strenuously suspect that my way of doing it would cost a fraction of the manner you would end up doing it.

Stop exhaling CO2 and I promise you the next day the world will be a slightly cooler place.

Imbecile...

I used to have a collection of such comments and it was interesting to note that it was ONLY the global warming deniers who made these veiled, puerile death threats. I have NEVER seen such comments from people who accept the mainstream science. I suggest it is because it is only the deniers who are stuck in this endless argument with absolutely no facts to back up the views their politics say they have to push. Such a state leads to desperation and desperation leads to poor decisions - like your post. And, of course, there's their general ignorance to consider.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JLW
We need to eliminate GHG emissions. What that costs depends a great deal on you and I. I strenuously suspect that my way of doing it would cost a fraction of the manner you would end up doing it.

Stop exhaling CO2 and I promise you the next day the world will be a slightly cooler place.

Imbecile...

I used to have a collection of such comments and it was interesting to note that it was ONLY the global warming deniers who made these veiled, puerile death threats. I have NEVER seen such comments from people who accept the mainstream science. I suggest it is because it is only the deniers who are stuck in this endless argument with absolutely no facts to back up the views their politics say they have to push. And, of course, their general ignorance.
When your arguments are hollow and empty all you have are the personal attacks. Crick, not one denier on this board has come close to matching your intelligence and knowledge on this topic. Keep it up.

Do you think everything should remain stable on this planet?...how do you know a warmer global temperature isn't just what the earth needs at this time in its evolution?....

Because of the predictable effects of a warming planet: sea level rise, loss of crops and drinking water supplies, impacts on plant and animal life throughout the globe, increases in extreme weather events, etc, etc, etc. And, just fyi, the Earth does not "evolve" nor does it "need" anything. It is a passive participant in the story of life.

No really........where is there any evidence that anybody is caring about the glaciers in 2021? 20 years ago, it was on a magazine cover every other month but we see absolutely zero in social media. CNN five years ago publicly stated they werent doing shows anymore on climate change because there was no interest.

So again, what we see here is an exceedingly fringe topic........across the whole country maybe 117 people care.

idiot-retard.jpg

CUBASCH, Ulrich
Freie Universität Berlin
Germany

WUEBBLES, Donald
University of Illinois
USA

CHEN, Deliang
University of Gothenburg
Sweden

FACCHINI, Maria Cristina
Italy

FRAME, David
New Zealand

MAHOWALD, Natalie
Cornell University
USA

WINTHER, Jan-Gunnar
Norway

DING, Yihui
China

MEARNS, Linda
USA

WADHAMS, Peter
University of Cambridge
UK

And I, you.

Awwwww......................

Abstract
As a result of global climate change, glacial melt occurs worldwide. Major impacts are expected on the dynamics of aquifers and rivers in and downstream of mountain ranges. This study aims at quantifying the melt water input fluxes into the watersheds draining the Canadian Rocky Mountains and improving our knowledge about the fate of meltwater within the hydrological cycle. To this end, we use (1) time‐variable gravity data from GRACE satellites that are decomposed into water storage compartments; (2) an ensemble of glacier information: in situ observations, geodetic measurements, and a mass balance model; and (3) in situ surface water and groundwater level observations. The glacier mass balance model estimates a total ice mass change of ~43 Gt for the period 2002–2015, corresponding to an average of −3,056 (±2,275) MCM/yr (million cubic meters per year). 78% of the meltwater total flows west of the continental divide (to the Pacific Ocean), while 22% flows east of the continental divide (to the Arctic Ocean and Hudson Bay). However, the GRACE‐derived total water storage increases, suggesting that groundwater storage compensates for the glacial melt with an increase of 3,976 (±2,819) MCM/yr. A plausible explanation is that meltwater is not immediately flowing down in rivers but rather stored locally in aquifers. This hypothesis is supported by in situ river base flow observations, showing base flow increase in basins draining the ice melt, mostly west of the continental divide. Direct in situ evidences such as well water level time series are not sufficiently available to fully support this hypothesis.
Plain Language Summary
This study discusses glacial melt and its impacts on water resources in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. First, we quantify glacial melt inflows into the hydrological cycle flowing to the draining watersheds on both sides of the mountain range. Our melt estimation is in good agreement with previous studies. Second, we explore the fate of glacial meltwater, and in particular the changes occurring in aquifers, by comparing our melt estimates with other data sets such as geodetic gravity field time series and hydrometric data. While glacial mass change modeling estimates a relatively high mass loss for 2002–2015, geodetic observations show that groundwater storage has increased during the same period. Decreasing glacial mass is compensated by increasing groundwater mass in the total mass change derived from geodetic observation, suggesting water transfers from melting glaciers to aquifers. Field measurements support the hypothesis of a significant groundwater storage increase, but not enough field data are available to precisely and independently quantify this rise.

Abstract
The Greenland Ice Sheet is losing mass at accelerated rates in the 21st century, making it the largest single contributor to rising sea levels. Faster flow of outlet glaciers has substantially contributed to this loss, with the cause of speedup, and potential for future change, uncertain. Here we combine more than three decades of remotely sensed observational products of outlet glacier velocity, elevation, and front position changes over the full ice sheet. We compare decadal variability in discharge and calving front position and find that increased glacier discharge was due almost entirely to the retreat of glacier fronts, rather than inland ice sheet processes, with a remarkably consistent speedup of 4–5% per km of retreat across the ice sheet. We show that widespread retreat between 2000 and 2005 resulted in a step-increase in discharge and a switch to a new dynamic state of sustained mass loss that would persist even under a decline in surface melt.

Abstract
Mountain glaciers are highly sensitive to climate change. In this paper, we systematically analyzed and discussed the responses of glaciers to climate change during 1960–2017 in western China by the methods of least squares and correlation analysis. Results show that the maximum temperature, minimum temperature, average temperature, and precipitation significantly increased in western China at the rates of 0.32°C/10a, 0.48°C/10a, 0.39°C/10a, and 11.20 mm/10a, respectively. However, the wind speed, hours of sunshine, snowfall, and snowy days displayed decreasing trends at the rates of −0.53 m/(s·10a), 3.72 h/10a, −2.90 mm/10a, and −0.10 d/10a, respectively. The annual percentage of glacier area decreased by approximately 0.42%, and the average glacier area decreased by 2.76 km2/a. Meanwhile, glacial shrinkages were greater in the Altay Mountains, Tanggula Mountains, and Qilian Mountains than in the other mountainous regions. Glacier accumulation decreased while melt volume increased at a rate of 2.7×104 m3/a. The area of melt volume was 1.3 times that of the glacier accumulation area. The glacier mass balance (GMB) decreased substantially at a rate of −14.0 mm/a, whereas the equilibrium line altitude (ELA) showed an increasing trend at a rate of 0.5 mm/a. After 1997, the mass was smaller than −500.0 mm, indicating a huge loss in glaciers. Furthermore, relationships between ELA and GMB and various climatic factors were established. Temperature and precipitation demonstrated a significantly negative correlation, whereas wind speed and snowy days had significantly positive correlations with GMB. Snowy days also exhibited a remarkably negative correlation with ELA. The strong warming trend and less snowy days were thought to be the main factors leading to glacial melting, whereas the increase in precipitation, and reductions of sunshine hours and wind speed might slow glacial melting.

Abstract
As a result of global climate change, glacial melt occurs worldwide. Major impacts are expected on the dynamics of aquifers and rivers in and downstream of mountain ranges. This study aims at quantifying the melt water input fluxes into the watersheds draining the Canadian Rocky Mountains and improving our knowledge about the fate of meltwater within the hydrological cycle. To this end, we use (1) time‐variable gravity data from GRACE satellites that are decomposed into water storage compartments; (2) an ensemble of glacier information: in situ observations, geodetic measurements, and a mass balance model; and (3) in situ surface water and groundwater level observations. The glacier mass balance model estimates a total ice mass change of ~43 Gt for the period 2002–2015, corresponding to an average of −3,056 (±2,275) MCM/yr (million cubic meters per year). 78% of the meltwater total flows west of the continental divide (to the Pacific Ocean), while 22% flows east of the continental divide (to the Arctic Ocean and Hudson Bay). However, the GRACE‐derived total water storage increases, suggesting that groundwater storage compensates for the glacial melt with an increase of 3,976 (±2,819) MCM/yr. A plausible explanation is that meltwater is not immediately flowing down in rivers but rather stored locally in aquifers. This hypothesis is supported by in situ river base flow observations, showing base flow increase in basins draining the ice melt, mostly west of the continental divide. Direct in situ evidences such as well water level time series are not sufficiently available to fully support this hypothesis.
Plain Language Summary
This study discusses glacial melt and its impacts on water resources in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. First, we quantify glacial melt inflows into the hydrological cycle flowing to the draining watersheds on both sides of the mountain range. Our melt estimation is in good agreement with previous studies. Second, we explore the fate of glacial meltwater, and in particular the changes occurring in aquifers, by comparing our melt estimates with other data sets such as geodetic gravity field time series and hydrometric data. While glacial mass change modeling estimates a relatively high mass loss for 2002–2015, geodetic observations show that groundwater storage has increased during the same period. Decreasing glacial mass is compensated by increasing groundwater mass in the total mass change derived from geodetic observation, suggesting water transfers from melting glaciers to aquifers. Field measurements support the hypothesis of a significant groundwater storage increase, but not enough field data are available to precisely and independently quantify this rise.

Abstract
The Greenland Ice Sheet is losing mass at accelerated rates in the 21st century, making it the largest single contributor to rising sea levels. Faster flow of outlet glaciers has substantially contributed to this loss, with the cause of speedup, and potential for future change, uncertain. Here we combine more than three decades of remotely sensed observational products of outlet glacier velocity, elevation, and front position changes over the full ice sheet. We compare decadal variability in discharge and calving front position and find that increased glacier discharge was due almost entirely to the retreat of glacier fronts, rather than inland ice sheet processes, with a remarkably consistent speedup of 4–5% per km of retreat across the ice sheet. We show that widespread retreat between 2000 and 2005 resulted in a step-increase in discharge and a switch to a new dynamic state of sustained mass loss that would persist even under a decline in surface melt.

Abstract
Mountain glaciers are highly sensitive to climate change. In this paper, we systematically analyzed and discussed the responses of glaciers to climate change during 1960–2017 in western China by the methods of least squares and correlation analysis. Results show that the maximum temperature, minimum temperature, average temperature, and precipitation significantly increased in western China at the rates of 0.32°C/10a, 0.48°C/10a, 0.39°C/10a, and 11.20 mm/10a, respectively. However, the wind speed, hours of sunshine, snowfall, and snowy days displayed decreasing trends at the rates of −0.53 m/(s·10a), 3.72 h/10a, −2.90 mm/10a, and −0.10 d/10a, respectively. The annual percentage of glacier area decreased by approximately 0.42%, and the average glacier area decreased by 2.76 km2/a. Meanwhile, glacial shrinkages were greater in the Altay Mountains, Tanggula Mountains, and Qilian Mountains than in the other mountainous regions. Glacier accumulation decreased while melt volume increased at a rate of 2.7×104 m3/a. The area of melt volume was 1.3 times that of the glacier accumulation area. The glacier mass balance (GMB) decreased substantially at a rate of −14.0 mm/a, whereas the equilibrium line altitude (ELA) showed an increasing trend at a rate of 0.5 mm/a. After 1997, the mass was smaller than −500.0 mm, indicating a huge loss in glaciers. Furthermore, relationships between ELA and GMB and various climatic factors were established. Temperature and precipitation demonstrated a significantly negative correlation, whereas wind speed and snowy days had significantly positive correlations with GMB. Snowy days also exhibited a remarkably negative correlation with ELA. The strong warming trend and less snowy days were thought to be the main factors leading to glacial melting, whereas the increase in precipitation, and reductions of sunshine hours and wind speed might slow glacial melting.

Notice how every one of these "studies" relies on a MODEL, to alter raw data.

Every. Single. One.

Computer derived fiction.

Forum List

Back