Sanders just submitted college for all bill.

America's public schools are 'free,' and guaranteed to all youngsters up to a certain age. America's public schools are frequently compared unfavorably with those in other countries.

America's universities are not 'free' and guaranteed to all, and they are BY FAR the very BEST in the world.

How hard is this to understand?
What does their funding have to do with it?

It's what competition has to do with it. I know it's a difficult concept for liberals.

America's public schools are 'free,' and guaranteed to all youngsters up to a certain age. America's public schools are frequently compared unfavorably with those in other countries.

America's universities are not 'free' and guaranteed to all, and they are BY FAR the very BEST in the world.

Our universities are becoming out of reach for many working Americans. ........e

No, they are not.

Now, a college education ( or technical training) is needed to get a job you can support yourself on

That is not true.

For the most part, it is
Note that I said college or technical training. The days of getting a good paying job out of high school are over

I noticed you tried to hedge your bet, and I notice you are still wrong.

The market has evolved. The days of getting a good job off of a High School education are over

Our society has to adapt to a new market

Making higher education out of reach for the masses is not in our best interest.......Sanders realizes that

Now, a college education ( or technical training) is needed to get a job you can support yourself on

That is not true.

For the most part, it is
Note that I said college or technical training. The days of getting a good paying job out of high school are over

The market has evolved. The days of getting a good job off of a High School education are over

No they aren't. Lots of people still do so.

That is not true.

For the most part, it is

Making higher education out of reach for the masses ....

It's not.

To understand the feeling of crisis that many see in higher education right now, it’s useful to start with some figures from 40 years ago. In 1974, the median American family earned just under $13,000 a year. A new home could be had for $36,000, an average new car for $4,400. Attending a four-year private college cost around $2,000 a year: affordable, with some scrimping, to even median earners. As for public university, it was a bargain at $510 a year. To put these figures in current dollars, we’re talking about median family income of $62,000, a house for $174,000 and a sticker price of $21,300 for the car, $10,300 for the private university and $2,500 for the public one.

A lot has changed since then. Median family income has risen slightly, to about $64,000, while median home prices have increased by about two-thirds. (Car prices have remained steady.) But the real outlier is higher education. Tuition at a private university is now roughly three times as expensive as it was in 1974, costing an average of $31,000 a year; public tuition, at $9,000, has risen by nearly four times. This is a painful bill for all but the very richest. For the average American household that doesn’t receive a lot of financial aid, higher education is simply out of reach.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/magazine/is-college-tuition-too-high.html?_r=0

To understand the feeling of crisis that many see in higher education right now, it’s useful to start with some figures from 40 years ago. In 1974, the median American family earned just under $13,000 a year. A new home could be had for $36,000, an average new car for $4,400. Attending a four-year private college cost around $2,000 a year: affordable, with some scrimping, to even median earners. As for public university, it was a bargain at $510 a year. To put these figures in current dollars, we’re talking about median family income of $62,000, a house for $174,000 and a sticker price of $21,300 for the car, $10,300 for the private university and $2,500 for the public one.

A lot has changed since then. Median family income has risen slightly, to about $64,000, while median home prices have increased by about two-thirds. (Car prices have remained steady.) But the real outlier is higher education. Tuition at a private university is now roughly three times as expensive as it was in 1974, costing an average of $31,000 a year; public tuition, at $9,000, has risen by nearly four times. This is a painful bill for all but the very richest. For the average American household that doesn’t receive a lot of financial aid, higher education is simply out of reach.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/magazine/is-college-tuition-too-high.html?_r=0

No, it is not.

Yay the US taxpayers get to fund degrees in high demand areas like 17th Century Kabuki theater.
And engineers, scientists, accountants, doctors, lawyers

Let those wanting to be engineers, etc. fund their own degrees if it's such a good investment. What's the problem with the one directly benefitting from receiving such a degree investing in their own education? It's easy. There is nothing wrong with it. It's just another way for people like you to support giving someone something so they'll vote for your candidate. It's pandering. The problem is those who pander don't get the bill.

If you or anyone you know can't afford to send their kids to college, tough shit. I don't owe it to them. No one does.

What does their funding have to do with it?

Our universities are becoming out of reach for many working Americans. Society benefits from an educated workforce

Our universities are becoming out of reach for many working Americans.

How can this be? The government is spending more money every year to make college affordable.

How can this be? The government is spending more money every year to make college affordable.

And the usual RW response to this is to moan about how those costs are passed along to the taxpayer, and what we really need is smaller government.

But offer free tuition at state universities by imposing a small fee on hedge-fund managers and venture capitalists? No, no, no, no, RWs can't wrap their little minds around how that might work...

My plan would provide free online college courses to anyone who wants to take them. All accredited universities would be required to accept them.

Just another Liberal thinking someone is owed something they don't deserve.

We decided people deserve an education over a hundred years ago

Used to be eighth grade
Then it became High School
Now it needs to be college

We? You mean you bleeding hearts who thing someone else should foot the bill for it. You don't count for shit in a ******'s back yard. You have less value.
Yes...that is what is known as ..We the People
A free public school education is something we have cherished for over a century

Actually, that's a gross misapprehension of "We the People". The phrase doesn't refer to government at all, but to society independent of government. Unlike modern statists, the founders used it to emphasize that the people stood above government, and not the other way around.

Last edited:
just another $47 Billion in debt

this year

once colleges get that "free money", tuition will once again sky rocket so it will cost, us, $60-70 billion next year.

free college but you can't afford to eat

Food is next.
Then water
then housing

There seems to be nothing, in principle, preventing those initiatives. From what I'm hearing, if a given program can be shown to serve society's interests (as defined by government, of course) all bets are off.

Yay the US taxpayers get to fund degrees in high demand areas like 17th Century Kabuki theater.
And engineers, scientists, accountants, doctors, lawyers

Let those wanting to be engineers, etc. fund their own degrees if it's such a good investment. What's the problem with the one directly benefitting from receiving such a degree investing in their own education? It's easy. There is nothing wrong with it. It's just another way for people like you to support giving someone something so they'll vote for your candidate. It's pandering. The problem is those who pander don't get the bill.

If you or anyone you know can't afford to send their kids to college, tough shit. I don't owe it to them. No one does.
So only those who can afford it get to be engineers, scientists, accountants...

What is wrong with a society putting out the best qualified workforce in the world?

My plan would provide free online college courses to anyone who wants to take them. All accredited universities would be required to accept them.

Just another Liberal thinking someone is owed something they don't deserve.

We decided people deserve an education over a hundred years ago

Used to be eighth grade
Then it became High School
Now it needs to be college

We? You mean you bleeding hearts who thing someone else should foot the bill for it. You don't count for shit in a ******'s back yard. You have less value.
Yes...that is what is known as ..We the People
A free public school education is something we have cherished for over a century

Actually, that's a gross misapprehension of "We the People". The phrase doesn't refer to government at all, but to society independent of government. Unlike modern statists, the founders used it to emphasize the that the people stood above government, and not the other way around.
Absolutely...I think you are starting to get it

In the Constitution, We the People established a government to represent us and do what is in the best interests of the people. If government fails to do that...we the people vote someone new in

And the usual RW response to this is to moan about how those costs are passed along to the taxpayer, and what we really need is smaller government.

But offer free tuition at state universities by imposing a small fee on hedge-fund managers and venture capitalists? No, no, no, no, RWs can't wrap their little minds around how that might work...

And the usual RW response to this is to moan about how those costs are passed along to the taxpayer

Costs are passed along. And prices rise at multiples of prices in general.
The government wants to make it more affordable, spends tens of billions, it becomes less affordable.

But offer free tuition at state universities by imposing a small fee on hedge-fund managers and venture capitalists?

Is it a small fee, or is it hundreds of billions a year? Because your post said hundreds of billions.
And your source did not limit the tax to hedge funds and venture capitalists.

And the usual RW response to this is to moan about how those costs are passed along to the taxpayer

Costs are passed along. And prices rise at multiples of prices in general.
The government wants to make it more affordable, spends tens of billions, it becomes less affordable.

But offer free tuition at state universities by imposing a small fee on hedge-fund managers and venture capitalists?

Is it a small fee, or is it hundreds of billions a year? Because your post said hundreds of billions.
And your source did not limit the tax to hedge funds and venture capitalists.

You're the one who keeps tossing that "hundreds of billions" around, not me. I'm just quoting it back to you.

Forum List

Back