Sam Altman Wants to Scan Your Eyeball in Exchange for Cryptocurrency

MisterBeale

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2012
Stare into the orb, let them take your soul. . . in exchange for currency, you will have your soul enslaved!

:auiqs.jpg:
(Here is the Bloomberg article.)
Cryptocurrencies

Sam Altman Wants to Scan Your Eyeball in Exchange for Cryptocurrency​

His startup Worldcoin is developing an orb-shaped device that can read a person’s iris.

Opinion​

Gaze Into the Orb to Collect Your Worldcoin​

". . . Based on what we know so far, Altman and the Worldcoin team seem to have hit on a way to make this appealing premise seem utterly dystopian. Users who want a Worldcoin account will have to register by scanning their unique retina pattern with an “orb” device that in its current form is the size of a basketball and costs $5,000 to make, according to Bloomberg.

This points to serious practical problems with the company’s plans, but let’s start with the larger issue – privacy. The thing about a retina print is that you can’t change it, so once it’s compromised that form of identity verification is invalid for you, forever. That makes it spectacularly and inherently risky for a private company to gather this kind of biometric data about everyone on Earth. Frankly, there’s a strong argument that it should be illegal until we have better data regulations in place (yes, I’m looking at you, Clear).

(Side note: If you’re starting a company that harvests data from people’s eyeballs in ways that could threaten privacy, don’t refer to your scanning device as an “orb.” It strongly implies the Eye of Sauron, Foucault’s Panopticon, the Saudi Intelligence Orb, Saruman’s palantir, and the for-profit spy firm named after it. In short, it’s creepy as hell. Sam, you can send my comms consulting fee via CoinDesk.)

Now, to its credit, Worldcoin has already said it won’t store iris scans as raw data, instead converting images into a “unique numerical code,” according to Bloomberg, and deleting source data. I take that to indicate some kind of hashing, similar to the transaction-batch hashes that link Bitcoin blocks.

But that leaves too many open questions. Most specifically, if Worldcoin moves its retina scans to a central server for hashing, it’s still far too risky to be justifiable, because data could be intercepted or stolen in the process. On-device hashing shouldn’t be incredibly computationally intensive, and the size and cost of the Worldcoin “orb” suggests that may be the plan. But it also seems likely that the device would be internet-connected, which would still leave it potentially vulnerable.. . . "

5uy1mg.jpg

Worldcoin in exchange of your soul, first story here;

“I’ve been very interested in things like universal basic income and what’s going to happen to global wealth redistribution and how we can do that better,” Altman said. “Is there a way we can use technology to do that at global scale?”

well this is absolutely terrifying Mr B...... :oops: ~S~

“I’ve been very interested in things like universal basic income and what’s going to happen to global wealth redistribution and how we can do that better,” Altman said. “Is there a way we can use technology to do that at global scale?”

well this is absolutely terrifying Mr B...... :oops: ~S~
That's what I thought.

I don't usually bring the New World Next Week News Video's Upstairs, and call attention to the stories they cover. I figure, if folks on the forum want to watch the weekly podcasts, they will just click the Stay Informed link in my signature, go to the last page in that thread, and view the latest episode. I keep that thread updated every week.

But this last episode? With that news? That story really creeped me out.
I thought everyone should know what is coming, so when these orbs start appearing, people have both sides of this issue, are informed, and really will know the consequence of looking into it, before they do. Once you do, that is it, that is forever.

If you had known twenty years ago, that smartphones would eventually lead to data mining every last personal detail about you, and eventually linking your whole profile to a "vaccine passport," to you, would you have agreed to start using them?

I knew that smart phone technology would eventually lead to, GPS, data tracking, all of it. Thus, I never got one, and never built my life around one. I don't have a clue how to use one. You can't miss, what you have never had. I'm still living in 1990. It is wonderful.

Folks need to know about this stuff. . . .

I firmly believe, if nobody had adopted smart phones, they would have never unleashed this virus on us. There would have been no point. It is all about control and power for the folks at the top.

Forum List

Back