russian pre ak 47?

i could use some help here..where are all the vietnam vets?

Right Here! I fought in Nam back in A company as a tunnel rat. I have over 1000s kills under my belt. It should have been more, but every time I tossed a gernade into a school classroom they counted it as one kill! Facist bastards!

but the fact that the bolt handle is straight tells you that it isn't German. Could Yugo, Chech, or Turkish.
The early German rifles had straight bolts...could easily be a WWI-mechanism bolted onto a WWII-stock during the final desperate months of the war.

Could be, but the Turks made K98k's with straight bolt handles. That action looks like a K98k to me.

Definitely not a Kar. The Receiver housing is too large and the stock is standard K98 German. That's a gewehr/k98 match up, I just wish I could see the markings clearly to be more than 99.8% positive.

okay okay markings it has some....i will have to drag it back out....the men were guessing at what it was....they couldnt get the bolt to close....and were all like monkeys ....looking at the moon....i closed it..with little or no trouble by simply pushing the bottom plate down....they were amazed...like monkeys looking at a goddess...*hey its my mother fucking reality, not yours*

the other guns i could id fast..this one...i am stumped...not being a gun expert and all...we are having some trouble with the 22 auto...it keeps jamming...son thinks it has to do with how hard you pull bolt back...and all...i say no...its simply jamming....and needs to be looked at

so guys...what kinda bullets can we slap into this unknown gun and try to kill ourselves with?

my next door neighbor who has helped with my mother....i gave my father's old fishing equipment....i handed him the rod and reel and he goes nuts....i still have no clue what i gave him....

my son has moved in like a toad....and claimed all the guns...i told him to stop being an ass...he replied he didnt mean to be.....i told him to stop acting like a toad....(that is about the worst thing i say) and he said he was sorry but he is keeping all the guns. i told him the single shot had been mine since i was 12, he replied...that i fire high now....that my eyes are gone.......i may kill that little toad...i remind him...dble 00 loaded in a dble barrel...i dont have to see mal

Last edited:
The early German rifles had straight bolts...could easily be a WWI-mechanism bolted onto a WWII-stock during the final desperate months of the war.

Could be, but the Turks made K98k's with straight bolt handles. That action looks like a K98k to me.

Definitely not a Kar. The Receiver housing is too large and the stock is standard K98 German. That's a gewehr/k98 match up, I just wish I could see the markings clearly to be more than 99.8% positive.

okay okay i will drag that bitch out...and see if i can read the markings....or take a better photo..its hard to photo the markings.....and this mother is heavy did i mention that..heavy....some one made the comment ...to help with the kick...

IMG_2163.jpg

marked with : dou 43

IMG_2164.jpg

see the bottom plate and how it pops up? son continues to say the bullet weight would push the plate down.

IMG_2165.jpg

i think it says....4-592 with some type of stamp before it..looks like a V

IMG_2166.jpg

stamped on the small bar to the right....: mod 98

IMG_2167.jpg

yes the damn thing opens....

another stamp...i have forgotten where but i think near the bolt....is: 30-78

on the bolt....stamped with: 15

sooooo what says yall? and crimson, my sweet love, a german ww 2...does predate the ak 47...heheheee....i dont knowz mal i tellz ya

okay this is what i know about the history of the gun...it arrived to the house in a film projector thing....it was the only foreign gun my father kept...the rest where his vintage hunting guns...i dont know why he got it..or why he kept it...or what it is...i have always assumed it was the russian gun....none of the rest are russian...but i never can remember who called it that....

i grew up in a home where you were never a step away from a gun of one type or another...i was in my early 20's when i realized that was not the norm...

My dad kept some dandy guns and I've got the only one that survived over the years.

I remember a similar looking rifle where the breech popped up when you pulled back the bolt. Mom moved after he died and the fuckers ripped it off.

My brother got his other guns and either sold them, gave them away, or destroyed them. Sad.

Nice family history there, stromboli.

On the receiver housing in front of the numbers (with the hh underneath) is what's left of a Waffenmark (Eagle and swastika) that someone tried to obliterate. In front of that on the base of the barrel is a small German eagle waffenmark. if you look on the stock you'll find similar markings, if they havent been erased. That is almost assuredly a Volksrum issued weapon.

is that all you got ring? come on now? you can do better....ww 2, right? so it is not a turkish gun

but is really german.....any other pics needed...

is that all you got ring? come on now? you can do better....ww 2, right? so it is not a turkish gun

but is really german.....any other pics needed...

By the pictures you provided it does not appear to be Turkish. Two dead giveaways are the cut in the stock for a sling and the obvious shape of the 'erased' Nazi waffenmark as well as what looks to be the early German eagle waffenmark on the barrel. Turkish Kars did not have any of the above items.
It is a WWI barrel and receiver/bolt fitted in a WWII K98 stock. My best educated guess is it was issued to a Volkstrum unit in the last weeks of WWII. If it came to your father via Russia then it was 'liberated' buy a Russian soldier then probably traded or sold to a GI some time after the war and before the start of the cold war.

no no he got the gun in vietnam..that is the only thing we are sure of...my father was there during tet

he did two tours...i am not sure which tour he was doing when he mailed this back.

the russian weapon is a misnomer...i have always heard it called that but i am not sure why or who called it that...my father knew more about guns...i just find it interesting that he kept this piece....

now riddle me this...can it be fired?

no no he got the gun in vietnam..that is the only thing we are sure of...my father was there during tet

he did two tours...i am not sure which tour he was doing when he mailed this back.

the russian weapon is a misnomer...i have always heard it called that but i am not sure why or who called it that...my father knew more about guns...i just find it interesting that he kept this piece....

now riddle me this...can it be fired?

Aha! Russian capture during WWII then years later it was part of a weapons supply to the VC or NVA. That explains the Russian connection.
Can it be fired? I don't see why not, with a good cleaning and the proper ammo, though you might want to take it to a gun smith and have him/her check it out first. Just as an added precaution.

i am amazed what good condition all the guns were in...they had been oiled and stored...no rust...

ahhh if we were loading it...we would be putting in...what? lol

i would have a smith check it out...but they are worse than magpies...much easier to get the bullets...and go...."boys, i think this bitch can be fired" and let nature take its course lol

i am amazed what good condition all the guns were in...they had been oiled and stored...no rust...

ahhh if we were loading it...we would be putting in...what? lol

i would have a smith check it out...but they are worse than magpies...much easier to get the bullets...and go...."boys, i think this bitch can be fired" and let nature take its course lol

7.9x57 Mauser rounds, commonly referred to as 8 millimeter Mauser. Here is a link to one site that has it in brass/non-corrosive made by Wolf.
Wolf 8mm Mauser (8x57mm) 196gr SPBT Rifle Ammunition

Forum List

Back