"Roots"

It sucked. I like Levar Burton, so I was surprised he is one of the producers. It is not factually based and it was poorly done.
The first one was better. And it showed the same amount of violence but without CPG's to enhance the torn backs and shit.
That tribe did NOT prance around on stallions and they damn sure didn't say "university" any more than a zulu warrior wanted to go to Oxford or Shaka Zulu wanted to twerk. It's ludicrous. And NOT a good film. Period.
I'm so glad you brought him up. You SAY you like Levar. Do you think he would be involved in a ill-produced, non-factual remake?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

And let's all just bypass the slavery underground and all those awful whities risking their lives helping blacks escape.
Were you watching the WGN show "Underground?" It's excellent. Have you been watching it?

WGN? No...can't say I have. What channel is that? What day and what time? Maybe it's on netflix.
What do you have cable? Free to air? What?

It sucked. I like Levar Burton, so I was surprised he is one of the producers. It is not factually based and it was poorly done.
The first one was better. And it showed the same amount of violence but without CPG's to enhance the torn backs and shit.
That tribe did NOT prance around on stallions and they damn sure didn't say "university" any more than a zulu warrior wanted to go to Oxford or Shaka Zulu wanted to twerk. It's ludicrous. And NOT a good film. Period.
I'm so glad you brought him up. You SAY you like Levar. Do you think he would be involved in a ill-produced, non-factual remake?

No, I don't think he would, which is why I am surprised that he has.
I ADORE Forest Whitaker, but he was the wrong actor for The Fiddler. He was great in Last King Of Scotland, though.
Put it this way...I didn't like the remake. I just didn't. It was bullshit. And factually...slaves were NOT laid as they showed in that ship. They were spooned, so more room could be made fit way more in there. They were hosed down once every couple of days up top, but never released from chains. Those that managed to escape from top deck, jumped overboard rather than be a slave. Hundreds did exactly that. And most slave owners took rudimentary care of their slaves. Slaves were money. Would you buy a race horse and beat it so it could not race? Would you invest in a pure bred dog for showing, and beat or starve it? No. Because its MONEY. Same with slaves. Yes, many were cruel and evil.
Do you really think the majority of white people that know this happened are ok with it? Really? Maybe so, but I don't think so. Any more than the majority of people think what happened to the jews was ok with it.

If yer gonna tell a horrendous story about slavery...then at least give some credence to the MANY that tried to stop it, or help slaves. There are more than 2 sides to every story.

And let's all just bypass the slavery underground and all those awful whities risking their lives helping blacks escape.
Were you watching the WGN show "Underground?" It's excellent. Have you been watching it?

WGN? No...can't say I have. What channel is that? What day and what time? Maybe it's on netflix.
What do you have cable? Free to air? What?

Cable, silver package. Which means I can get most of the major channels but some are blacked out.

And for the record..I did watch the first episode. When Kunta refused to say Toby....I was glad he was that strong. When the whip came out with nails and glass..I knew he would break, and he did..and I was glad he did because they would have killed him. And if they did...end of story. No kids. No ancestry. No anything.

And, overseers WERE the devil incarnate. They are like mall cops. Wannabes but can't ever be. So they took out that anger on those beneath them. However, the slave OWNER usually took care of the overseers who beat their money makers because they did not see them as human beings. They saw them as laborers. Slaves. Who made them lots of money.

I ADORE Forest Whitaker, but he was the wrong actor for The Fiddler. He was great in Last King Of Scotland, though.
Put it this way...I didn't like the remake. I just didn't. It was bullshit. And factually...slaves were NOT laid as they showed in that ship. They were spooned, so more room could be made fit way more in there. They were hosed down once every couple of days up top, but never released from chains. Those that managed to escape from top deck, jumped overboard rather than be a slave. Hundreds did exactly that. And most slave owners took rudimentary care of their slaves. Slaves were money. Would you buy a race horse and beat it so it could not race? Would you invest in a pure bred dog for showing, and beat or starve it? No. Because its MONEY. Same with slaves. Yes, many were cruel and evil.
Do you really think the majority of white people that know this happened are ok with it? Really? Maybe so, but I don't think so. Any more than the majority of people think what happened to the jews was ok with it.

If yer gonna tell a horrendous story about slavery...then at least give some credence to the MANY that tried to stop it, or help slaves. There are more than 2 sides to every story.
So if I understand you correctly, you don't like the new "Roots", and think it's BS because it didn't show the slave situation harshly enough? Based on your slaveship comments.

Do I have that right?

So if I understand you correctly, you don't like the new "Roots", and think it's BS because it didn't show the slave situation harshly enough? Based on your slaveship comments.

Do I have that right?

I didn't like the new remake because it was BULLSHIT. Come on. You are a smart man. Think.

Do I have that right?

I didn't like the new remake because it was BULLSHIT. Come on. You are a smart man. Think.
You're not telling me why. I can't, nor won't accept it just on face value. Why do you think it was BS?

What parts of the film did you identify as comic book material? I'm curious to know.
I watched only the first episode, which was quite enough for me to be sure the entire series would, as I explained, compare in terms of general quality with such productions as, Amistad, at the level of a comic book.

Did you happen to watch a documentary on the topic of slavery (also on the History channel) called The Castles of Hell?

Did you know that stupid back hill redneck slave owners also used slave children as a step stool or to hold their feet against their backs to get rid of "rheumatiz"? Old wives tale by their redneck mothers, but there it is. And many slave owners did not use them for cotton or tobacco. They used them to BREED, to resell to plantations as laborers or house slaves. Mixed blood slaves were of higher value due to the lighter skin..suitable for maids and shit. The "massah's" usually gave visiting male guests or kin or business guys a field hand slave for the night. The results were a baby of lighter skin...which means MONEY. LOTS of money. And they treated their slaves very well, except for stupid shit like the rheumatiz thang. Damage the breeding progress, the less they will fetch at market.

Same with cotton pickers and tobacco slaves. Thorns and shit. Can't pick if they are doubled over in pain or starved or beaten. So yeah....it was a bad time all around, to put it mildly, but not all slave owners were evil. Roots focused on generations that survived in a harsh world in their time. It SHOULD have focused as well on those who assisted in keeping that generation going strong, and died doing it. Meaning..whites. Who also helped slaves escape from other black slave owners. That was left out too. I guess Kunta's family were lucky they didn't wind up the slaves of a black person because they were meaner than the white ones were. Probably of the same black ilk that sold their own in africa to willing whites.

Last edited:

Well said, Gracie.

Do I have that right?

You're not telling me why. I can't, nor won't accept it just on face value. Why do you think it was BS?

I told you why. Either accept it, or not. But I will put it in another way this one time.

IF producers are going to do a remake of such a movie, then FACTS are important. Otherwise, its just a fantasy land movie. FACTS were not correct. Mandinkas were NOT interested in "university". They concentrated on their own kin, family unit, keeping it strong and within the tribe itself...NOT running off to "timbuktu" to "university". They also shot film of the slave ship. SPOONING is how they were transported. Not side by side shoulder to shoulder. Too much space. SPOONING fit in a couple hundred more. And they were STACKED, like pallets. And they spooned them to where they laid on their right side. They thought too much pressure of laying on the left side would damage their hearts.

Yes, I read a lot. Or rather...used to.

Last edited:
On top of that, they completely skimmed over the inner warring of each tribe and the greed or corruptness of the winning tribe in a war was to sell off their captors to the white guys ready to buy.

They did, but because you didn't watch it all you have is weird ass allegations about what it showed and again....you're defensive over a fucking movie! I bet it's my fault right? Or Obama's fault? Black et al.?

On top of that, they completely skimmed over the inner warring of each tribe and the greed or corruptness of the winning tribe in a war was to sell off their captors to the white guys ready to buy.

They did, but because you didn't watch it all you have is weird ass allegations about what it showed and again....you're defensive over a fucking movie! I bet it's my fault right? Or Obama's fault? Black et al.?
Those are your words, not mine.
I am not defensive over a fucking movie. I am saying it sucked and some are taking offense I didn't like it.

And furthermore..you are not a MarcATL. You are the guy that sold Kunta Kinte to the white guys. Big difference in personalities and actions, dontcha think? And gosh...that goes for all colors of skin, doesn't it?

Do I have that right?

I told you why. Either accept it, or not. But I will put it in another way this one time.

IF producers are going to do a remake of such a movie, then FACTS are important. Otherwise, its just a fantasy land movie. FACTS were not correct. Mandinkas were NOT interested in "university". They concentrated on their own kin, family unit, keeping it strong and within the tribe itself...NOT running off to "timbuktu" to "university". They also shot film of the slave ship. SPOONING is how they were transported. Not side by side shoulder to shoulder. Too much space. SPOONING fit in a couple hundred more. And they were STACKED, like pallets. And they spooned them to where they laid on their right side. They thought too much pressure of laying on the left side would damage their hearts.

Ok, let's approach this logically. What you are saying is not a fact. You can't say that NO ONE EVER wanted to go to school from the Mandinka tribe. How would you know that's a fact? You cant.

Then you keep mentioning spooning. As if there was only ONE WAY that every single slave trader kidnapped Blacks. How would you know THAT is a fact? You dont and can't prove it.

Then add this Redirect Notice

Which shows slaves chained side to side. And one of your key "facts" blown to shit. Now you have to find a new reason to be mad to disguise the fact you didn't watch it and are prone to automatically hate any story about slavery except Gone with the Wind.

Those are your words, not mine.
I am not defensive over a fucking movie. I am saying it sucked and some are taking offense I didn't like it.

You said they didn't cover it. They did cover it. How do you explain that difference?

First one was very good. And closer to actual history. Second one is fantasy land.
I'll be watching the original again soon. Most likely before the month is over. Last time I saw it was early to mid eighties. I was 10 or less. It was an EXCELLENT idea to remake the movie for a new generation and a reminder to the older generations.

I have a lot of young ones in my family who never saw it because it was "old" lol. So I was glad they remade one for a new generation to continue the story. At then end they even added that there is no way to tell if the story is real but it was a story he hoped made his ancestors proud.

And I just watched Inglorious Bastards the other day. And it didn't even bother me. :badgrin:

Do I have that right?

Ok, let's approach this logically. What you are saying is not a fact. You can't say that NO ONE EVER wanted to go to school from the Mandinka tribe. How would you know that's a fact? You cant.

Then you keep mentioning spooning. As if there was only ONE WAY that every single slave trader kidnapped Blacks. How would you know THAT is a fact? You dont and can't prove it.

Then add this Redirect Notice

Which shows slaves chained side to side. And one of your key "facts" blown to shit. Now you have to find a new reason to be mad to disguise the fact you didn't watch it and are prone to automatically hate any story about slavery except Gone with the Wind.
I hated Gone With The Wind. Not my cuppa.
Can YOU prove the Mandinka tribe wanted "University" instead of sticking to family tribal growth, as a fact?
Can YOU prove spooning was not used as a way to get more slaves stuffed in a ship?
Blacks warred with each other all the time and...drumroll...STILL ARE. The winners of the war either kept the enemy as their own slaves, or they sold them. NO DIFFERENT than what Egypt did with the hebrews. Slavery. Period. And it's STILL going on today. Open yer eyes. Or stay angry. I don't give a damn.

I read about it years ago. Spooning was more favorable because the more the slaves the more TO SELL. Owner of the ship pays the captain to bring home merchandise. Which is slaves if it is a slave ship. If the captain has been commissioned to bring in 300 slaves in one trip and only 100 arrive still alive...guess who doesn't get paid and probably fired? The captain.

And why you think I am mad, is beyond me. I didn't like the remake. Period. The one ANGRY is YOU, because I didn't fall all over it and grovel about it. Maybe because I'm white and therefore am racist for not liking it? Get real. Yer one of those Angry Black Guys. I have no patience for you or those like you.

Forum List

Back