Roman Concrete "Secret"

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

"Roman concrete, in many cases, has proven to be longer-lasting than its modern equivalent, which can deteriorate within decades. Now, scientists behind a new study say they have uncovered the mystery ingredient that allowed the Romans to make their construction material so durable and build elaborate structures in challenging places such as docks, sewers and earthquake zones.

The study team, including researchers from the United States, Italy and Switzerland, analyzed 2,000-year-old concrete samples that were taken from a city wall at the archaeological site of Privernum, in central Italy, and are similar in composition to other concrete found throughout the Roman Empire.

They found that white chunks in the concrete, referred to as lime clasts, gave the concrete the ability to heal cracks that formed over time. The white chunks previously had been overlooked as evidence of sloppy mixing or poor-quality raw material.

“For me, it was really difficult to believe that ancient Roman (engineers) would not do a good job because they really made careful effort when choosing and processing materials,” said study author Admir Masic, an associate professor of civil and environmental engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

“Scholars wrote down precise recipes and imposed them on construction sites (across the Roman Empire),” Masic added.

The new finding could help make manufacturing today’s concrete more sustainable, potentially shaking up society as the Romans once did."

See what happens when you stay in your lane and do research rather than fucking about screaming from the “River to the Sea.”

Someone better write that shit down before it gets lost again.

But hey, there isn't any money in building something once. There is plenty of money (and grift) in building something twice. Or three times. Or more.

Maybe next they can "rediscover" appliances that last more than ten years. ;)

"Roman concrete, in many cases, has proven to be longer-lasting than its modern equivalent, which can deteriorate within decades. Now, scientists behind a new study say they have uncovered the mystery ingredient that allowed the Romans to make their construction material so durable and build elaborate structures in challenging places such as docks, sewers and earthquake zones.

The study team, including researchers from the United States, Italy and Switzerland, analyzed 2,000-year-old concrete samples that were taken from a city wall at the archaeological site of Privernum, in central Italy, and are similar in composition to other concrete found throughout the Roman Empire.

They found that white chunks in the concrete, referred to as lime clasts, gave the concrete the ability to heal cracks that formed over time. The white chunks previously had been overlooked as evidence of sloppy mixing or poor-quality raw material.

“For me, it was really difficult to believe that ancient Roman (engineers) would not do a good job because they really made careful effort when choosing and processing materials,” said study author Admir Masic, an associate professor of civil and environmental engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

“Scholars wrote down precise recipes and imposed them on construction sites (across the Roman Empire),” Masic added.

The new finding could help make manufacturing today’s concrete more sustainable, potentially shaking up society as the Romans once did."

See what happens when you stay in your lane and do research rather than fucking about screaming from the “River to the Sea.”

Someone better write that shit down before it gets lost again.

But hey, there isn't any money in building something once. There is plenty of money (and grift) in building something twice. Or three times. Or more.

Maybe next they can "rediscover" appliances that last more than ten years. ;)
Saw a whole program bout this on one of the discovery channel type things the other day. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Saw a whole program bout this on one of the discovery channel type things the other day. Pretty cool if you ask me.
the one i saw may have been on pbs nova. they were thinking it was the ash from vesuvius that did it.

incredible that the pantheon has stood for 2000 years and i may outlast the superdome.

the one i saw may have been on pbs nova. they were thinking it was the ash from vesuvius that did it.

incredible that the pantheon has stood for 2000 years and i may outlast the superdome.

They don't build them like they used to.
1705775177003.png

Forum List

Back