Roger Ebert is dying in increments, and he is aware of it.

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Print Roger Ebert: The Essential Man

Roger Ebert can’t remember the last thing he ate. He can't remember the last thing he drank, either, or the last thing he said. Of course, those things existed; those lasts happened. They just didn't happen with enough warning for him to have bothered committing them to memory — it wasn't as though he sat down, knowingly, to his last supper or last cup of coffee or to whisper a last word into Chaz's ear. The doctors told him they were going to give him back his ability to eat, drink, and talk. But the doctors were wrong, weren't they? On some morning or afternoon or evening, sometime in 2006, Ebert took his last bite and sip, and he spoke his last word.

Ebert's lasts almost certainly took place in a hospital. That much he can guess. His last food was probably nothing special, except that it was: hot soup in a brown plastic bowl; maybe some oatmeal; perhaps a saltine or some canned peaches. His last drink? Water, most likely, but maybe juice, again slurped out of plastic with the tinfoil lid peeled back. The last thing he said? Ebert thinks about it for a few moments, and then his eyes go wide behind his glasses, and he looks out into space in case the answer is floating in the air somewhere. It isn't. He looks surprised that he can't remember. He knows the last words Studs Terkel's wife, Ida, muttered when she was wheeled into the operating room ("Louis, what have you gotten me into now?"), but Ebert doesn't know what his own last words were. He thinks he probably said goodbye to Chaz before one of his own trips into the operating room, perhaps when he had parts of his salivary glands taken out — but that can't be right. He was back on TV after that operation. Whenever it was, the moment wasn't cinematic. His last words weren't recorded. There was just his voice, and then there wasn't.

A powerful read to say the least. One of the most well written articles I've read in a long time.

Wondered what happened to him on the program. One day he just wasn't there anymore.
Now he can't talk but uses a computer and writes out notes on paper. Too bad. He was a terrific film critic along with his bud Gene Siskel. They were surely a pair.

No one he gave Avatar a good review, then dissed it.

I don't have time to read the whole article now, but it does seem like a good read.

Last edited:
I read him religously, and I hate religion.

He is a brilliant man with a huge heart.

Comment in his comment section and if you are honest he will respond to you.

This man, of all men, deserves a movie made about him; if I had my way, while he could still review it.

Exactly what would a movie about Roger Ebert entail...would it be setup much like Mystery Science Theater?

I haven't read that much about Ebert's life, but I don't know of anything particularly fascinating that ever happened to the guy.

Good grief, I don't find anything powerful about it. I found grammatical and syntax errors all over the place. It's just a rambling description of a sick person's day, with some random history thrown in. It's interesting, sort of, and has moments where it's good, but it's like it hasn't been edited.

I didn't get through it.

I had no idea this had happened to him. Poor guy.

On the reconstruction . . . they used bones from his body and not man-made material? Anyone know why? Wouldn't the man-made material work? (like with an artificial hip)?

Exactly. I could write a descriptive piece about anyone in the local assisted living home and it would be the same thing. Only better.

Forum List

Back