Robert E Lee & The Confederate Solider statue removed in Dallas

Having a statue of Lee is akin to having one of Yamamoto. Both lead their countries against this country.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Not even close. Civil Wars are different from Foreign wars, and back then people could identify more with their State than with the Country as a whole.

"These" United States vs. "The" United States.

More applying our mores and means to past times.
yea, people don't bother to shift mindsets when thinking back that far. hell in our own lifetime it used to be ok to say/do many things that is simply not the case today. better or worse is yet to be determined. so to compare the state of our country today as a model of how it was back then?

please. we can get pissed off at actions across the world and dox a hundred people before our morning cup of coffee. to get that cup of coffee back then was how much more work than today?

Bullshit. It was never "OK". People said so. Boisterously and profusely. It was accepted is all.
my bad. if you were around in the civil war i'm sure you'd have been just as big an idiot as you are today.
I don't need to have been around then to understand the issues of the day and how people were thinking. Try reading sometime.

Do you have a specific complaint with my post or just your usual feckless jabs?

There was everything noble and honorable about Lee. His father died when Lee was 11. They had a very tough existence. Lee applied to West Point and was accepted when he was 17. The rest is history. There is no record of Robert E. Lee owning land or slaves. So what's the bitch?

Again, that he betrayed his country and fought to maintain slavery...

Oh, he had a very tough existence, the poor thing, living on a plantation.

Actually, the Mexican American war is a war we should be even more ashamed of than the Civil War. We were completely in the wrong on that one.

1. He fought for his state. The "country" was a "Union of States". The US was much more localized back in 1860. They fought for States' Rights, not just slavery. Slavery was the norm back then, they didn't know what political correctness was. Cheap manual labor was necessary to succeed in farming. There was no real farm machinery. Your idealistic view of the 1860 world is laughable.
2. Show me after his dad died when he was 11 where he owned a plantation. They were essentially beggars living with family.
3. Who is ashamed of annexing Texas? Not most of us.
Mexican–American War - Wikipedia
4. If you were drafted to fight in VN what would you do? The power of the "state" has demands.

Funny how you regulate the owning of other human beings being wrong just a matter of political correctness.

I guess if it were deemed PC you would gladly own other humans?

What's wrong is applying 2019 politically correct norms to ancient history. Trying to criminalize what was not against the Law.
I don't support slavery, but if I lived in ancient times it would be the norm, to use cheap manual labor. It was not against the Law, was it?
Tell me you support full benefits and the minimum wage for farm workers, so that your fresh produce costs triple or quadruple?

Not really "ancient history". My great grandfather was born during the civil war. My father knew him. He also knew civil war veterans.
The last civil war vet died in 1956.

Statue sold for $1.4 million. Why are we removing the in the first place because they owned slaves and that makes it racist today. What’s next all our money? George Washington owned 30 himself is he know a piece of shit? The Left gets offended by EVERYTHING in the past because they’re personally so inadequate in the present.

Um, not, it's being removed because he betrayed the country over slavery.

Time to stop honoring traitors. Take them all down.

Just like the Taliban, destroying art, trying to erase history. History haunts them, even if they try to mangle the history books.
History is history, the truth is the truth, deal with it.

Yes, history is history.

And there was nothing noble or honorable about Lee, which is why he should be expunged from any place of honor. .

Just so you can maintain a little credibility here and all...go ahead and link us to your cries for the removal of the statues honoring Spanish Conquistadors...you know, those raping murderous fucks.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Time to stop honoring traitors. Take them all down...

And there was nothing noble or honorable about Lee, which is why he should be expunged from any place of honor. .

Lee considered himself a Virginian before an American, with his loyalties being to State first and Nation second. That’s why he turned down Lincoln’s offer to lead the Hnion army. The same was true for most Confederates.

They were the ones who understood the true ideals of the US Constitution. Lincoln used the document as toilet paper. Those boys in chestnut and grey were the ultimate in honor and valor. They fought for an ideal against overwhelming odds and did themselves and their Ststes proud. They deserve to be remembered as true American heroes.

Cool, except for the fact that they were traitors thingy!

Statue sold for $1.4 million. Why are we removing the in the first place because they owned slaves and that makes it racist today. What’s next all our money? George Washington owned 30 himself is he know a piece of shit? The Left gets offended by EVERYTHING in the past because they’re personally so inadequate in the present.

Just like the Taliban, destroying art, trying to erase history. History haunts them, even if they try to mangle the history books.

Yes, history is history.

It depends on your perspective. For their time, his family was a bit more progressive when it came to their slaves. They violated the law by teaching them to read and write, several were emancipated before the war, and some of those freed slaves still remained on the property of what is now Arlington National Cemetery.

Statue sold for $1.4 million. Why are we removing the in the first place because they owned slaves and that makes it racist today. What’s next all our money? George Washington owned 30 himself is he know a piece of shit? The Left gets offended by EVERYTHING in the past because they’re personally so inadequate in the present. ‘Robert E. Lee & The Confederate Soldier’ Sculpture Removed From Dallas Park Sells For $1.4M
Lee's wife owned the land where Arlington Cemetery is. Lee will always have a connection to American soldiers and honor with or without statues. This coming from a Connecticut Yankee.
Arlington Cemetary was put there to humiliate the Lees
Depends how you look at it-I see the glass half full.

Um. No.

He went to war for his home state of Virginia. Nobody was abolishing slavery when the war started, so he was not defending slavery.

He and Grant reached an agreement of reconciliation. He was pardoned of any crimes after he lost property and rights.

His portrait still hangs at West Point because the military still honors the commitment to reconciliation (which you and other apparently do NOT honor).

Taking down monuments of Lee (a leader revered by both sides who reconciled with his nation) is symbolicly resuming hostilities.

Is that the goal?

Yes, history is history.

There was everything noble and honorable about Lee. His father died when Lee was 11. They had a very tough existence. Lee applied to West Point and was accepted when he was 17. The rest is history. There is no record of Robert E. Lee owning land or slaves. So what's the bitch?
Robert E. Lee - Wikipedia
"Lee was a top graduate of the United States Military Academy and an exceptional officer and military engineer in the United States Army for 32 years. During this time, he served throughout the United States, distinguished himself during the Mexican–American War, and served as Superintendent of the United States Military Academy."
Lee was a military man his entire life and never owned slaves. He inherited some slaves when his wife died. Having no use for them they were freed.

Actually, the Mexican American war is a war we should be even more ashamed of than the Civil War. We were completely in the wrong on that one.

1. He fought for his state. The "country" was a "Union of States". The US was much more localized back in 1860. They fought for States' Rights, not just slavery. Slavery was the norm back then, they didn't know what political correctness was. Cheap manual labor was necessary to succeed in farming. There was no real farm machinery. Your idealistic view of the 1860 world is laughable.
2. Show me after his dad died when he was 11 where he owned a plantation. They were essentially beggars living with family.
4. If you were drafted to fight in VN what would you do? The power of the "state" has demands.

Funny how you regulate the owning of other human beings being wrong just a matter of political correctness.

What's wrong is applying 2019 politically correct norms to ancient history. Trying to criminalize what was not against the Law.
I don't support slavery, but if I lived in ancient times it would be the norm, to use cheap manual labor. It was not against the Law, was it?
Tell me you support full benefits and the minimum wage for farm workers, so that your fresh produce costs triple or quadruple?

The idea of not owning other human beings is not a matter of political correctness...no matter how many ways you try to whitewash the institution of slavery.

There is no comparison to low wages and being owned. Fucking pathetic you would try and compare the two

The idea of not owning other human beings is not a matter of political correctness...no matter how many ways you try to whitewash the institution of slavery.

There is no comparison to low wages and being owned. Fucking pathetic you would try and compare the two

You seem to be the authority on the matter....I’m curious Gator, what percentage of slaves volunteered themselves to leave the jungles where unimaginable poverty, despair, disease and violence were sure to end their young lives?
Scary taboo isn’t it...you know, the ‘other side’ to slavery...the side LefTarded fools want to pretend couldn’t have existed.

Also...Mr Authority, I’d like to inquire about how many descendants of slaves have migrated back to Africa to live that life and culture they ‘missed out” on?

Last edited:

Yes, history is history.

It depends on your perspective. For their time, his family was a bit more progressive when it came to their slaves. They violated the law by teaching them to read and write, several were emancipated before the war, and some of those freed slaves still remained on the property of what is now Arlington National Cemetery.
and now you know...the rest of the story. :)

Yes, history is history.

If you knew American history, then you would know that Robert E Lee was a very honorable man. Liberalism twists people's minds into thinking that anti-American con men like Obama are honorable while great men from our history like Lee are not.

I agree. Not a good comparison at all.

It's also pathetic when some people equate to the plight of the poor to the institution of slavery as a means to promote government-forced minimum pay when the market does not support those rates, which in turn leads to a host of other problems, like having an unsustainably enormous supply of workers compared to the limited number of available jobs.

It's even more pathetic when multi-millionaire athletes liken their situation to slavery.

Everybody needs to knock that shit off, from all sides.

No, it and others are being removed by Democrats because they are reminders of the Democrats' heritage of slavery and treason, and Americans are letting them do it.

Say that's a nice spin. Let me try it. So the protesters in Charlotte wanted the statue to remain because they wanted to keep reminding the current Democrats that the Southern elitist slave holders also called themselves Democrats, not their adulation of the racism the Confederacy stood for!

Yes, history is history.

Robert E. Lee - Wikipedia
"Lee was a top graduate of the United States Military Academy and an exceptional officer and military engineer in the United States Army for 32 years. During this time, he served throughout the United States, distinguished himself during the Mexican–American War, and served as Superintendent of the United States Military Academy."
Lee was a military man his entire life and never owned slaves. He inherited some slaves when his wife died. Having no use for them they were freed.
The Lees had extensive slave holdings
He never emancipated them

Myths & Misunderstandings | Lee as a slaveholder | American Civil War Museum

In an 1866 account, Norris recalled,

[W]e were immediately taken before Gen. Lee, who demanded the reason why we ran away; we frankly told him that we considered ourselves free; he then told us he would teach us a lesson we never would forget; he then ordered us to the barn, where, in his presence, we were tied firmly to posts by a Mr. Gwin, our overseer, who was ordered by Gen. Lee to strip us to the waist and give us fifty lashes each, excepting my sister, who received but twenty; we were accordingly stripped to the skin by the overseer, who, however, had sufficient humanity to decline whipping us; accordingly Dick Williams, a county constable, was called in, who gave us the number of lashes ordered; Gen. Lee, in the meantime, stood by, and frequently enjoined Williams to lay it on well, an injunction which he did not fail to heed; not satisfied with simply lacerating our naked flesh, Gen. Lee then ordered the overseer to thoroughly wash our backs with brine, which was done.

Forum List

Back