RIP Lionel "Little Train" James, Auburn legend, undersized 5'6 RB, who set multiple records during his short 5 year career with the San Diego Chargers

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
I have been aware of Lionel James and his nickname for years but I was a few years old when I finally put 2&2 together and realized the nickname comes from the brand of model trains that boomers played with as kids

from wikipedia:

He spent his entire five-year NFL career with the Chargers from 1984-1988. His best year as a pro came during the 1985 season when he set the then-NFL season records for receiving yards by a running back and all-purpose yardage. He also led the AFC in receptions that year.

In 1985, James set the NFL record for all purpose yards in a season with 2,535 yards. He also set the record for receiving yards by a running back with 1,027 yards,[1] while also leading the AFC in receptions with 86. On November 10, 1985, he had his best day as a pro versus the Los Angeles Raiders. He gained 345 all-purpose yards including a career best 168 yards receiving and scored the winning touchdown in a 40–34 overtime victory.[1] The total yardage was second at the time only to the 373 yards by Billy Cannon in 1961, and remains a Chargers franchise record

FMd3Y9fWQAIn4km

Forum List

Back