Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they were not

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Don't know/unsure

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Did you read the article? The "reporter" Ms Simitch should be indicted for substituting creative writing for reporting. How many animals did they have in the run down delelect home that was deemed unfit for human habitation? Curioully Ms Simitch doesn't say. How many summonses did the family ignore? Curiously Ms. Simish fails to say? The "raid" does seem like overkill and sometimes animal rights cops can take their jobs too seriously but so can novelists pretending to be reporters. Who finds this stuff anyway? Media Matters?

The problem with journalism today is they do not report the facts. They slant the report toward their own ideological purposes not just the news! They had a name for it "Yellow Journalism" and it is rampant in the US today. It is not a liberal problem but a conservative one too. It has come to the point where you you cannot believe anything you see or read on the news because of the journalists creative interpretation of the facts. And in this in turns inflames the zealots in the political arena and makes governing impossible. Journalists are not the root of the problem but they do have an effect.

So how do you know the true story? You have to go to several sources and compare and try to get the facts and sort out the subjective opinions.

Last edited:
Fark said Rich people in nice Chicago neighborhood try to run out poor family that lived there long before the neighborhood was nice, call SWAT team to do it.

Okay, so I'm thinking that's the article I'm going to read.

Family shattered after raid, home loss - chicagotribune.com

Only not so much. Not at all, really.

Do you think things were handled correctly? Agree, or disagree?

Call out SWAT for an animal cruelty investigation? Sounds just like a police state to me.

Sounds like Bill Ayres wants to buy the property.

It is a delicate situation. A police state? A left-wing conspiracy? A right wing conspiracy? Don't think so. Police do not use a swat team unless they are fairly certain something bad could go down. Do we know the son's entire criminal history? I think not. But I can assure you that the police officers going in there did. Two of the most dangerous parts of a police officer's job, statistics say, are traffic stops and serving civil papers. Many police officers are killed in the line of duty doing those two things.

It doesn't seem fair, especially since there were two elderly people living there. There is probably much about this story that we still don't know.

Did you read the article? The "reporter" Ms Simitch should be indicted for substituting creative writing for reporting. How many animals did they have in the run down delelect home that was deemed unfit for human habitation? Curioully Ms Simitch doesn't say. How many summonses did the family ignore? Curiously Ms. Simish fails to say? The "raid" does seem like overkill and sometimes animal rights cops can take their jobs too seriously but so can novelists pretending to be reporters. Who finds this stuff anyway? Media Matters?
I thought it was curious that the building inspector shows up after the raid and writes up a lot of violations that had not been written before.

I thought it was curious that the building inspector shows up after the raid and writes up a lot of violations that had not been written before.

The neighbors consulted some one on how to get rid of this family. First step make a false claim of a meth lab, second step get political allies to stage a building inspector there right after the raid.

The "compassionate left" hard at work. Poor black people may vote for them but by god they sure aren't allowed to LIVE with them.

Well,it's Mary "The FOrehead" Schmick, I wouldn't believe her if she wrote a column saying the sky was blue.

(Seriously, look at the woman's forehead, it's freakish!)

Most neighborhoods have community standards about the condition of homes. Sounds like their home was run down compared to their neighbors.

Considering most of the people living in this neighborhood are Chicago Liberal Democrats, I guess it only proves they only care about poor people in the abstract.

See, that was my reaction. When I started reading the state of their property, I was kind of surprised they hadn't been inspected before now.

depends...Poor doesn't always equal violent and murderest...If they're good people then no.

Some of them were good people, some not-so-much. I think the parents probably let their kids and grands run a little too wild.

On the other hand, they're 80. I'm only 53, and I'd be too tired to ride herd on a clan.

Isn't it a normal procedure that a developer of a subdivision would try to buy the homes that are in a tract of land? From what I have heard about Chicago, this wouldn't come as a surprise, but this family could have been saved by a fair offer on the valuable land and able to set up for a new home.

But I didn't like hearing about the inadequate treatment of the dogs!

Same on the dog front. And they dug their heels in on the selling front. I think if they'd known what was behind Curtain #2, they would have taken the money and made a life elsewhere.

Well, you read the article, so you know who finds it. The Chicago Tribune.

The problem with journalism today is they do not report the facts. They slant the report toward their own ideological purposes not just the news! They had a name for it "Yellow Journalism" and it is rampant in the US today. It is not a liberal problem but a conservative one too. It has come to the point where you you cannot believe anything you see or read on the news because of the journalists creative interpretation of the facts. And in this in turns inflames the zealots in the political arena and makes governing impossible. Journalists are not the root of the problem but they do have an effect.

So how do you know the true story? You have to go to several sources and compare and try to get the facts and sort out the subjective opinions.

Exactly - and that's the point of critical thought. Don't read, or listen, and believe. Dig. THINK.

Fark said Rich people in nice Chicago neighborhood try to run out poor family that lived there long before the neighborhood was nice, call SWAT team to do it.

See....the republicans lack for want of regulations could have saved this family from this ;). All those laws on the books unfortunately mean the govt has the power to do this.

I dont think its right at all.

It is a delicate situation. A police state? A left-wing conspiracy? A right wing conspiracy? Don't think so. Police do not use a swat team unless they are fairly certain something bad could go down. Do we know the son's entire criminal history? I think not. But I can assure you that the police officers going in there did. Two of the most dangerous parts of a police officer's job, statistics say, are traffic stops and serving civil papers. Many police officers are killed in the line of duty doing those two things.

It doesn't seem fair, especially since there were two elderly people living there. There is probably much about this story that we still don't know.

Hopefully more will come out, with time. Somebody at Fark brought this;

From TFA's comments section:

BGMF78 at 12:55 PM October 02, 2011
I am familiar with this house and with R.J. Harris. No one seriously questions that R.J. worked hard to provide for his family. People should (and do) respect him. The issue here is that R.J. does not have control anymore. He allowed his extended family to freeload off of his good heart, and now, 40 years later, you have 30+ people, good and bad, living in very poor conditions and, in many cases, victimizing their neighbors. The article leaves out many serious problems that are not gang and drug-related. There are frequent loud and threatening domestic disputes, music blared out the windows all through the night, and garbage scattered outside and in the vacant lot next to the park. The Harris family made themselves a target by being disrespectful to families living on the block. No one else in the area, regardless of age, race, or income, steals from their neighbors, yells at all hours, takes over a park for children under 12, or lets their house fall into ruin. R.J. provides for many healthy, younger family members. In return, they might have helped him maintain and preserve what he worked so hard for, or held a job and contributed. Instead, they made the 77 year-old do all the work and sat around. And raher than being kind, quiet, and courteous in a quiet neighborhood full of families that keep to themelves, they behaved as though they owned the whole block.

True; but who knows when last they were inspected? I've never been a homeowner, I don't know what the status quo is for home inspections. Seemingly, it's "never." I don't remember my folks ever having one. Maybe only when somebody wants to refi?

The neighbors consulted some one on how to get rid of this family. First step make a false claim of a meth lab, second step get political allies to stage a building inspector there right after the raid.

The "compassionate left" hard at work. Poor black people may vote for them but by god they sure aren't allowed to LIVE with them.

Bitch, please. Like every time somebody does something wrong, they must be on the left. I have no idea if they are left or right. Probably, as a microcosm of society, they are both.

In other words justify throwing out a man that legally owns the property. IF his family is breaking the law, guess what? The law can arrest them. This was a set up. It started with a fake claim that meth was being cooked on the Premises and was followed by a Building Inspector obviously sent to oust the family.

Compassionate Liberals indeed. Someone paid someone to come up with a plan to get them evicted from their own property.

Bitch, please. Like every time somebody does something wrong, they must be on the left. I have no idea if they are left or right. Probably, as a microcosm of society, they are both.

If conservatives were involved you would have highlighted that. Pot calling the kettle black. We all know what Chicago is full of.

If conservatives were involved you would have highlighted that. Pot calling the kettle black. We all know what Chicago is full of.

No, I wouldn't. And again: NOBODY KNOWS. You are guessing, based on political climate. You don't know what neighborhood this is, you don't know who the neighbors are. You can keep talking shit, but that's all you're doing; talking shit.

Hopefully more will come out, with time. Somebody at Fark brought this;

From TFA's comments section:

BGMF78 at 12:55 PM October 02, 2011

I am familiar with this house and with R.J. Harris. No one seriously questions that R.J. worked hard to provide for his family. People should (and do) respect him. The issue here is that R.J. does not have control anymore. He allowed his extended family to freeload off of his good heart, and now, 40 years later, you have 30+ people, good and bad, living in very poor conditions and, in many cases, victimizing their neighbors. The article leaves out many serious problems that are not gang and drug-related. There are frequent loud and threatening domestic disputes, music blared out the windows all through the night, and garbage scattered outside and in the vacant lot next to the park. The Harris family made themselves a target by being disrespectful to families living on the block. No one else in the area, regardless of age, race, or income, steals from their neighbors, yells at all hours, takes over a park for children under 12, or lets their house fall into ruin. R.J. provides for many healthy, younger family members. In return, they might have helped him maintain and preserve what he worked so hard for, or held a job and contributed. Instead, they made the 77 year-old do all the work and sat around. And raher than being kind, quiet, and courteous in a quiet neighborhood full of families that keep to themelves, they behaved as though they owned the whole block.

I had a feeling that this was how it went down. When you work with the public, you see things like this all the time. I wanted to say that in some way they two elxderly were probably being taken advantage of, but I didn't want someone to accuse me of being racist.

But being raised poor and white, I lived around many families like this...of every race. And just because no meth was found, that doesn't mean that NO ONE in the house was on drugs. Meth labs are pretty easy to spot. Oxycontin and xanax stuffed into an old envelope underneath a pile of dirty underwear are not as easy to spot.

And white, black, or whatever color-domestic disturbances, drugs, other crimes, being loud...it makes for an uncomfortable environment for those who live around them.

Yeah, it reads like somebody with a little juice in city hall used that influence to harass the neighborhood eyesore.

Another crime agains the people much thanks to the War on Drugs NO KNOCK laws.

Call out SWAT for an animal cruelty investigation? Sounds just like a police state to me.

Sounds like Bill Ayres wants to buy the property.

That too.

Forum List

Back