Richard Sherman: Thug is the New Ni66a

‘To Those Who Would Call Me a Thug or Worse …’

I show passion on the football field—but that’s only a small part of who I am. If you want to judge me, I can handle it.

Here’s what happened …

I spent most of the game on an island: I was targeted only twice during the entire NFC Championship. The first produced a BS holding call against me; the second ended the game. Michael Crabtree stutter-stepped out of his break on first down and sprinted toward the end zone. I was in good position for a pick until he pushed me in the back. My interception became a tip and an interception for Malcolm Smith in the end zone.

Game over. The Seahawks are in the Super Bowl.

I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said, “Good game, good game.” That’s when he shoved my face, and that’s when I went off.

“It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am.”

Richard Sherman explains the Crabtree incident and postgame interview | The MMQB with Peter King

He's far too introspective to be even close to thuggish. It was a moment and he's not taking the issue any further. Call it a learning experience for the guy, he deserves respect.

There are code words these days and as he honestly expressed in a calm and healthy way, thug could be one of these.

It was a moment and they stuck a mike in his face, no big deal. Is thug a code for a word in this case? Nah...it just gets more attention this way.

Everyone has bad moments. Lucky for most of us it is not on international a TV. Or on second thought, lucky for Sherman that it was on international TV since it involved winning a league championship.

Last edited:
Sometimes thug is used as code for ******, and there are other times where it is used appropriately. For instance kids who play the knockout game are merciless thugs. In Sherman's case many people calling him thug would really like to call him ******, but then there are some that are just using the word inappropriately. Personally I feel this whole thing with Sherman is so overblown. The guy is a football player, he made a play, right after they shoved a microphone in his face. I expect him to show some emotion. Could he have been more gracious? Of course, but the guy didn't kill anyone's mother,

Last edited:
Thug is the same as the "N word"?

Richard Sherman....the newest race baiter. Mr. Sherman...expect Jesse Jackasson and his butt buddy Al Sharpie to give you a medal sometime soon.

Sometimes thug is used as code for ******, and there are other times where it is used appropriately. For instance kids who play the knockout game are merciless thugs. In Sherman's case many people calling him thug would really like to call him ******, but then there are some that are just using the word inappropriately. Personal I feel this whole thing with Sherman is so overblown. The guy is a football player, he made a play, right after they shoved a microphone in his face. I expect him to show some emotion. Could he have been more gracious? Of course, but the guy didn't kill anyone's mother,

This also happened:

sherman-crabtree-960.jpg

I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said, “Good game, good game.” That’s when he shoved my face, and that’s when I went off.

Sometimes thug is used as code for ******, and there are other times where it is used appropriately. For instance kids who play the knockout game are merciless thugs. In Sherman's case many people calling him thug would really like to call him ******, but then there are some that are just using the word inappropriately. Personal I feel this whole thing with Sherman is so overblown. The guy is a football player, he made a play, right after they shoved a microphone in his face. I expect him to show some emotion. Could he have been more gracious? Of course, but the guy didn't kill anyone's mother,

This also happened:

sherman-crabtree-960.jpg

You know what though, running up and getting in someone's face to shake their hand right after a season ending play was made could be a little annoying. I understand Crabtree's reaction. IMO no big deal though. It's football.

Last edited:

I take it that calling someone who happens to be black any generically derogatory word is now a code word for ******. Only kind words may be spoken about blacks.

I take it that calling someone who happens to be black any generically derogatory word is now a code word for ******. Only kind words may be spoken about blacks.

Some liberals think every word in the English language is code for ******, but the world is not all nice and there are racist people who like to hide their true feelings. That's just reality.

This also happened:

sherman-crabtree-960.jpg

You know what though, running up and getting in someone's face to shake their hand right after a season ending play was made could be a little annoying. I understand Crabtree's reaction. IMO no big deal though. It's football.

:cuckoo: Sometimes people defend their position so much they become invested in it and will refuse to budge no matter what

All he did was make the observation that people were calling him thug which did not fit the situation. Either you know what the word means and use it to disguise your true intent or you are illiterate. You simply cant have it both ways.

This also happened:

sherman-crabtree-960.jpg

:cuckoo: Sometimes people defend their position so much they become invested in it and will refuse to budge no matter what

meaning what? I'm not the one calling Sherman a thug. Do you even watch football? Guys smack each other in the helmet after each play. What Sherman did was annoying to Crabtree and Crabtree reacted. What's the big deal?

Last edited:

All he did was make the observation that people were calling him thug which did not fit the situation. Either you know what the word means and use it to disguise your true intent or you are illiterate. You simply cant have it both ways.

People can be wrong without being racist. Or is that only when a black is not involved? There are a lot of racist people in the world. However, our society has become hypersensitive to racism.

People can be wrong without being racist. Or is that only when a black is not involved? There are a lot of racist people in the world. However, our society has become hypersensitive to racism.

I think its a pretty long stretch to call someone a thug accidently. Either you don't know what the word means or you are being a bigot. Since Blacks are frequently portrayed as thugs then its not at all being hypersensitive. Its being correctly perceptive.

meaning what? I'm not the one calling Sherman a thug. Do you even watch football? Guys smack each other in the helmet after each play. What Sherman did was annoying to Crabtree and Crabtree reacted. What's the big deal?

you forgot to ask: what day is it?

I think its a pretty long stretch to call someone a thug accidently. Either you don't know what the word means or you are being a bigot. Since Blacks are frequently portrayed as thugs then its not at all being hypersensitive. Its being correctly perceptive.

Or perhaps it was because he was acting very aggressive. The word thug does carry the conotation of someone who is aggressive.

Last edited:

Or perhaps it was because he was acting very aggressive. The word thug does carry the conotation of someone who is aggressive.

Actually it doesnt. A thug can be aggressive but you can be white collar criminal and be aggressive. its not even listed as a synonym.

Thug - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

thug noun \ˈthəg\
: a violent criminal

Last edited:
The term thug comes from the murderous Thuggee cult in India, which provided villains for two great action comedies, 1939's Gunga Din and 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Despite that, Indians are almost never described as "thugs."

In Britain, "thug" was used to refer to white soccer hooligans, as in the well-known 1990 book Among the Thugs by American journalist Bill Buford about English soccer outfits.

0978067974535_180X180.jpg

In America, "thug" was largely used to refer to white mobsters and their hired goons, as in this 1953 Bugs Bunny cartoon about gangsters. Bugsy, Mugsy, and Thugsy.

BugsandThugs_Lobby_Card.png

Yes, its 1990s appropriation by blacks like 2Pac Shakur is likely related to black gangsta rappers' love for all things Mafioso.

So, for a couple of decades, some famous blacks have been boasting tirelessly about their own thuggishness, but the Real Problem is that some whites have finally Noticed.

The term thug comes from the murderous Thuggee cult in India, which provided villains for two great action comedies, 1939's Gunga Din and 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Despite that, Indians are almost never described as "thugs."

In Britain, "thug" was used to refer to white soccer hooligans, as in the well-known 1990 book Among the Thugs by American journalist Bill Buford about English soccer outfits.

0978067974535_180X180.jpg

In America, "thug" was largely used to refer to white mobsters and their hired goons, as in this 1953 Bugs Bunny cartoon about gangsters. Bugsy, Mugsy, and Thugsy.

BugsandThugs_Lobby_Card.png

Yes, its 1990s appropriation by blacks like 2Pac Shakur is likely related to black gangsta rappers' love for all things Mafioso.

So, for a couple of decades, some famous blacks have been boasting tirelessly about their own thuggishness, but the Real Problem is that some whites have finally Noticed.

White America must like to assume. Pacs Thuglife had nothing to do with the original word. It is actually an acronym for racial oppression. You forget inspite of his flaws he was an artist.

The Hate U Gave Lil Infants Fucks Everybody

I agree there is no reason to call him a thug but yet instill people did it. Some told me he was frightening. How does my post not make sense if thats what some white people told me? Just admit a riled up Black man intimidates you weak hearted white guys.

EARTH TO ASCLEPIAS: Millions of white guys have served in the military and fought in wars, dodged bombs & bullets, jumped out of planes from 10,000 ft, fought against enemy fighter jets in the air, and took on everything from Japanese Kamikaze planes ramming into their ships, to booby traps in Vietnam, to IEDs in Afghanistan. And you call them weak hearted, right ? HA HA HA!!

Well, I guess I call you weak-minded. A riled up black man is just another riled up somebody somewhere. When I think of intimidation, I recall back to the North Vietnamese lieutenants I interrogated, who would rip the skin off your face with a bayonet, curl it into a ball, and shove it down your throat, just for the hell of it. Next to them, your riled up black man looks like a 2 week old kitten. :lol:

You are trying entirely too hard to pretend you are not afraid. Dont get your panties in a bunch. I'm talking about scary white guys like you and good boy. I know some white guys that are not afraid of anything but they seem to be few and far between. Most of the ones I seem to meet are easily intimidated.

That may be more in your head than theirs. And I don't "pretend" anything, asshole. I'm an Army veteran. If we were pretenders, we'd be dead. As for the word "thug". It just means a criminal who is pushy, that's all. As usual, black people in all their typical race paranoia are making something out of nothing. Ho hum. Yawn ***.

Last edited:
Protectionist is right. Why did black people make whites refer to Sherman as a thug 625 times? Why did those blacks make the media use the word thug more in one week than they have every in history?

Dam black people why'd you do that?

Forum List

Back