Richard Sherman: Thug is the New Ni66a

By who the people who called him a thug or someone else?

By the people who make up these so called code words for ******.

Thug means what it means and that's all it means.

Just because one guy who happens to be white wasn't called a thug and another guy who happens to be black was does not mean that there is some secret lexicon out there.

So why call an NFL player a thug if the definition is clear?

How the hell am I supposed to know the reasons behind the word choices of another?

How the hell are you for that matter.

If you want to see racism everywhere than that is exactly what you'll see.

Neither the word thug nor any of its synonyms mean ******

Last edited:
I don't care about the color but people that do violent things to people are thugs. People that join gangs are normally thugs.

These people deserve to be spit on and locked up.

How many gang members do you know? I know a lot and most of them are not thugs. Most of them are kids looking for a place to belong thats safe.

By the people who make up these so called code words for ******.

Thug means what it means and that's all it means.

Just because one guy who happens to be white wasn't called a thug and another guy who happens to be black was does not mean that there is some secret lexicon out there.

How the hell am I supposed to know the reasons behind the word choices of another?

Ok so you dont know why someone would compare an College Educated NFL player who is black a thug. So lets bounce around some ideas.

Has Sherman ever attacked someone? Has he ever been violent? Why would someone consider him a thug? Why do you THINK someone would call him a thug? What Thug characteristics MAY have been on display?

See it wasnt 1 white guy who said it. He was called a thug 625 times. By anyones standards that isnt a coincidence.

So lets pow wow

Ok so you dont know why someone would compare an College Educated NFL player who is black a thug. So lets bounce around some ideas.

Has Sherman ever attacked someone? Has he ever been violent? Why would someone consider him a thug? Why do you THINK someone would call him a thug? What Thug characteristics MAY have been on display?

See it wasnt 1 white guy who said it. He was called a thug 625 times. By anyones standards that isnt a coincidence.

So lets pow wow

I don't give a rat's ass about Sherman. He's a football player with an overblown ego who like to posture and scream how good he is.

Someone thought he was acting tough being a punk or whatever all those are all synonyms for thug. As for the news cycle and the repetition of the word that's the world we live in today. One reporter uses a word and it's parroted mindlessly by others.

Tell me how many times was it reported that fruit loops cereal are all one flavor despite the different colors? Every news station ran that blurb a dozen times in the same morning.

A football player on a super bowl bound team acting like an ass is sure to get more coverage than a cereal. If they had lost he would still be an average league minimum wage corner back that no one cared about.

Someone having a college degree does not exclude them from acting like a thug.

Thug does not mean ****** it never did there is no secret decoder ring needed.

Last edited:
Ok so you dont know why and you dont even want to round table some ideas about why he was called a thug. I get it.

Now you've changed what thug means when earlier you claimed you didnt know why someone would call him a thug. Now definitions dont mean anything to you?

The word "thug" has been used so many times by the same sort of people about the same sort of thing that it's no longer even accurate to call it code—it's really more of a shorthand. It means a black guy who makes white folks a little more uncomfortable than they prefer. On Sunday night, Richard Sherman made a lot of people uncomfortable. Then on Monday, people said thug on TV more often than on any other day in the past three years.

The numbers here come from iQ Media1, and they're based on every closed caption that ran in every market in the country over the past three years. As you can see above, Monday was more "thug"-heavy than any day in the past few years. iQ Media says 625 "thug"s across all markets, while competing service TVEyes says 524 so far today, but just 269 yesterday. Both have today and yesterday as massive spikes. ESPN, to its credit, appears to be on the hook for just two "thugs" all of yesterday. CBS was the overall leader by iQ's count, but that number is slightly inflated because of a mention on the national broadcast of the creatively bereft ratings graveyard Intelligence, which went out to a bunch of local affiliates.

So if I understand you right Spiderman. You are ignorant and indifferent...You dont know and you dont care. But the ONLY thing you DO KNOW its NOT racist....and Thug was used wrong...then you say was used right

I am very familiar with this phenomenon. The fact that he was angered by Crabtrees reaction is enough to intimidate people. What Sherman did subconsciously comes across as a threat display. This tends to frighten a lot of white men. There is no rational reason to call Sherman a thug unless you are ignorant or a panty waste of a bigot.

Last edited:
Ok so you dont know why and you dont even want to round table some ideas about why he was called a thug. I get it.

Now you've changed what thug means when earlier you claimed you didnt know why someone would call him a thug. Now definitions dont mean anything to you?

The word "thug" has been used so many times by the same sort of people about the same sort of thing that it's no longer even accurate to call it code—it's really more of a shorthand. It means a black guy who makes white folks a little more uncomfortable than they prefer. On Sunday night, Richard Sherman made a lot of people uncomfortable. Then on Monday, people said thug on TV more often than on any other day in the past three years.

The numbers here come from iQ Media1, and they're based on every closed caption that ran in every market in the country over the past three years. As you can see above, Monday was more "thug"-heavy than any day in the past few years. iQ Media says 625 "thug"s across all markets, while competing service TVEyes says 524 so far today, but just 269 yesterday. Both have today and yesterday as massive spikes. ESPN, to its credit, appears to be on the hook for just two "thugs" all of yesterday. CBS was the overall leader by iQ's count, but that number is slightly inflated because of a mention on the national broadcast of the creatively bereft ratings graveyard Intelligence, which went out to a bunch of local affiliates.

So if I understand you right Spiderman. You are ignorant and indifferent...You dont know and you dont care. But the ONLY thing you DO KNOW its NOT racist....and Thug was used wrong...then you say was used right

I didn't change the definition you did by saying thug means ******.

And it seems to me you don't know what a synonym is.

Sorry but I don't see a racist behind every tree or a terrorist under every rock.

You people are looking for something to be "outraged" about

Like I said he's a nobody league minimum player looking to get his name in the paper.

He is not the object of a racist plot.

Sorry but I don't see a racist behind every tree or a terrorist under every rock.

Like I said he's a nobody league minimum player looking to get his name in the paper.

I included the definition of thug and you said that Sherman was acting like one.

thug
THəg/Submit
noun
a violent person, esp. a criminal.

Sherman didnt attack anyone or commit a crime so you are using a "new" definition of the word thug.

I'm not outraged. I even offered an opportunity to bounce around some ideas of how or why so many could've seen a thug when they looked at Sherman.

Then you got frustrated because you didnt want to think about it. You dont know why, how or with what frequency Sherman was called a thug but you DO know something that is impossible to know....

You know what it WASNT....but have no idea what it Was.

Thats strange....almost like....bullshit...Smells funny too

A player boasting about his performance and belittling his opponent is par for the course in pro sports. But some thought Sherman's post-game smack talk -- angrily putting down his defeated foe -- smacked of poor sportsmanship. Others thought a whole lot worse than that, with tweets belittling him as a gorilla, an ape and a thug from the ghetto.

Don't call him a thug and 4 other things to know about Richard Sherman - CNN.com

Now Spidey would tell you that an Ape and Gorilla are just animals in the wild and are very strong but he'll be overlooking the meaning. Which is the entire point?

Racism is strengthened with Indifference

I included the definition of thug and you said that Sherman was acting like one.

thug
THəg/Submit
noun

Sherman didnt attack anyone or commit a crime so you are using a "new" definition of the word thug.

I'm not outraged. I even offered an opportunity to bounce around some ideas of how or why so many could've seen a thug when they looked at Sherman.

Then you got frustrated because you didnt want to think about it. You dont know why, how or with what frequency Sherman was called a thug but you DO know something that is impossible to know....

Ah so the only definition of the word despite its entire usage since the 19th century is the one you gave? The word thug is used describe rough, tough, ruffian, bully, and people acting tough. Thug meant a member of a sect of assassins too so maybe they meant he was a killer.

So go ahead and tilt at your windmills. In a couple weeks this guy will be forgotten as he should be and you can find another racist conspiracy somewhere else.

Mountain out of molehill syndrome. Desperately looking for reasons to call people racists.

Thoughts?

Everyone sees through the bullshit now a days. White people are quick to be scared by a black man and that intimidation is enough to label him a "thug" but what they want to say is the N-word.

thug
THəg/Submit
noun

Meanwhile, like Sherman pointed out. All he did was say things. In Hockey when you beat someones teeth out (while white) you get applauded all day. Look at Incognito. Not one time did anyone call him a thug. Even tho his behavior was Thuggish.

Then add in the fact that you want all these Alpha males on the field but you want them to act like politicians? Huh?

Whats your thoughts?

My thought is that it is utter bullshit.

Just more race baiting.

when you switch up your racists words because you cant use the N words anymore dont expect us to NOT notice.

Its like gangsta and you all know it.

just like welfare queen was designed to make one think of a black woman.

yes we are allowed to catch your racist asses and tag you with your racism.

cry more

thug
THəg/Submit
noun

Ah so the only definition of the word despite its entire usage since the 19th century is the one you gave? The word thug is used describe rough, tough, ruffian, bully, and people acting tough. Thug meant a member of a sect of assassins too so maybe they meant he was a killer.

Calm down man. If you want to throw in a definition no problem. I tried more than once to engage you in some brain storming and you refused. Lets do it!

So go ahead and tilt at your windmills. In a couple weeks this guy will be forgotten as he should be and you can find another racist conspiracy somewhere else.

Mountain out of molehill syndrome. Desperately looking for reasons to call people racists.

So basically you're upset that you called him a thug and you cant explain why but goddammit you've had enough? :cuckoo:

White seem to get offended at the mere suggestion that it is a acceptable way to call a Black person the N word. I still dont know how you get thug from his rant. I thought it was funny even though the Niners lost. I think whites that do that are just frightened at the vocal expressions of a Black alpha male. It kind of shows you how certain behavior to whites is frightening when to Blacks its not.

Did a single white person indicate to you that he/she was frightened by Sherman's silly rant ? :lol: Amazing that this dopey thing is even being talked about.

Yes they did. Why do you ask?

Doesn't make sense. Why would anybody (of any color) be frightened, just because some nitwit throws a tantrum, yelling into a TV camera ??? ...... :confused: ........ I don't believe it.

Last edited:
Did a single white person indicate to you that he/she was frightened by Sherman's silly rant ? :lol: Amazing that this dopey thing is even being talked about.

Doesn't make sense. Why would anybody (of any color) be frightened, just because some nitwit throws a tantrum, yelling into a TV camera ??? ...... :confused: ........ I don't believe it.

I know you get easily confused but it makes plenty of sense. Why would you call someone a thug if they were not a violent criminal? Everyone knows the only rational reason is because you are frightened. I'm not concerned if you believe it. I'm just stating the facts.

When a black guy acts like the stereotypical angry black man, he's going to get called names like thug. Black guys that don't act this way don't get called thugs. Is it code for "******"? Who cares, just don't be a jackass and this can be avoided. Besides, im guessing any moron that goes around calling people ******* doesn't care about what behavior they are displaying; they only care about their black skin color, so even well behaved black people suck to them.

When a black guy acts like the stereotypical angry black man, he's going to get called names like thug. Black guys that don't act this way don't get called thugs. Is it code for "******"? Who cares, just don't be a jackass and this can be avoided. Besides, im guessing any moron that goes around calling people ******* doesn't care about what behavior they are displaying; they only care about their black skin color, so even well behaved black people suck to them.

I understand angry acting Black men frighten you. I already stated that. What I am wondering is how that turns that Black man into a violent criminal? Thats what thug means.

Thoughts?

Everyone sees through the bullshit now a days. White people are quick to be scared by a black man and that intimidation is enough to label him a "thug" but what they want to say is the N-word.

thug
THəg/Submit
noun

Meanwhile, like Sherman pointed out. All he did was say things. In Hockey when you beat someones teeth out (while white) you get applauded all day. Look at Incognito. Not one time did anyone call him a thug. Even tho his behavior was Thuggish.

Then add in the fact that you want all these Alpha males on the field but you want them to act like politicians? Huh?

Whats your thoughts?

Yeah, thug was a bit over the top but he really did sound a little nutty. Afterward, as I see him in interviews I've learned that he's very intelligent and he seems like a really nice guy.

I don't think he'll go off like that anymore regardless.

White seem to get offended at the mere suggestion that it is a acceptable way to call a Black person the N word. I still dont know how you get thug from his rant. I thought it was funny even though the Niners lost. I think whites that do that are just frightened at the vocal expressions of a Black alpha male. It kind of shows you how certain behavior to whites is frightening when to Blacks its not.

Cause associating with pussies is unhealthy.

There was a time when all sportsmen were expected to behave like gentlemen. And I don't mean pulling out chairs for ladies. I mean behaving with dignity and self control, being courteous to all others (not just women), being self-efacing and modest, showing a concern for the welfare of others, especially those who were not so fortunate in life as himself, etc.

A thug is defined as a violent person or a criminal. Thugish behavior is verbal or physical violence.

When a sportsman, no matter what color, engages in thugish behavior, people will label him as a thug. When he engages in gentlemanly behavior, people will label him as a gentleman.

It's the way of the world. Race is not the issue.

My 2 cents. Otherwise, I know nothing about this kind of athletics or who these people are. :)

Last edited:

I understand angry acting Black men frighten you. I already stated that. What I am wondering is how that turns that Black man into a violent criminal? Thats what thug means.

How could I be afraid of a man I will never meet? You need to apply more logic to your posts. :lol:

Forum List

Back