Richard Dawkins and The Ignorance of The New Atheism

Plus having kids is 99% suck and 1% pure joy. Think about the terrible 2's. Think about the teenage years.
My experience was more 99.5% pure joy; .5% working through things. The twos were a lark; teenagers are great kids the greatest percentage of the time. We now live in three different states, and are in touch almost daily, they being the ones that initiate contact. When we get together, hiking, cruising, skiing, paddle boarding, etc. Depending on what genes I inherited, I might be like the part of the family that are living on their own well into their nineties; or, I'll be in memory care. Hope it is the former while preparing the latter. I have great kids, the kind where there was no need to lock up the liquor and who forgave my mistakes. Never had to be the "cool" mom--just Mom.

I will note that I had six little brothers and sisters, then nieces and nephews. I was always around children of various ages which may be why I found it easy, and I found being a mom was even better than being the big sister or the aunt. And by the way, my aunt had the relationship with us, you describe with your own nephews. As I noted before, in the end she was grieving over never having her own kids, and there was nothing we could do but to be with her--which we all were to the end, and then after as well. Though not Greek, we were plenty Irish, who are also known to be tight families. Even those of us who couldn't drink were embraced by those who could. ;)

Which is why it's odd that people want the planet colder to be colder while we are in the middle of an ice age.
And what ice age is that?
The one that began about 2.7 million years ago. We are presently in an interglacial cycle. There have been ~33 glacial /interglacial cycles since we entered the ice age.

Last edited:
the bible is supposed to about for you isn't it? After all it's an instruction book on how to live in a way that god deems acceptable.

This is where religion and I part ways.

I shouldn't need someone to tell me what the word of god means.

hence no third party commentary or fluency in ancient languages should be necessary.
That was the Protestant philosophy during the Reformation. Everyone, with the help of the Holy Spirit, can read the Bible for themselves with perfect understanding. That wasn't the Catholic position because language, cultures, and times change. One Protestant read the Bible, didn't understand the Hebrew (not that the King James translation was any help with that) and presto! He decides according to the Bible the earth is six thousand years old. Anyone who could read the Hebrew knew Ussher had it all wrong. Still, to this day (more than 200 years later) some still believe the earth is about six thousand years old.

My other favorites, of course, is that people believe the events written about in Revelation are yet to happen, when each one happened two thousand years ago. Some Protestants believe there will be a day when some will be "Raptured" off the planet. And speaking of the planet, some think there had to be zebras, polar bears, and penguins on Noah's ark. Read the Hebrew. It didn't say the flood covered the planet, but the earth (meaning the ground) as far as the eye could see.

It is my opinion that Protestants and their insistence that everyone can read and understand the Bible on their own may be responsible for the number of atheists today. Don't tell me that understanding the history and cultures (commentary) and fluency in the original language(s) isn't necessary. Early Jews and Christians would be laughing hysterically at the ideas of Rapture, penguins on the ark, etc. Bet you anything they would be saying, "Don't know what you're reading, but it's not the Bible!"

Perhaps you can understand why limiting answers about the Bible to "Yes" or "No" isn't at all practical.

I haven't yet met a Catholic priest that was fluent in ancient languages so they are just being told what to say by someone else.

And if god is the perfect unassailable all powerful being you'd think that he would understand that languages would evolve wouldn't you?
Many protestant ministers are well versed in both GREEK and HEBREW. Both are ancient languages of GOD's Word.
or so they say.

It was still all second, third .....100th hand or more.

So the bible is what a bunch of different people decided was the true word of their god
The Bible has been around thousands of years. And JESUS gave full credence to the scriptures comprising the Old Testament. Some of what JESUS said and reaffirmed are recorded in the New Testament. Everything that is in both the OLD & NEW Testament is what GOD wished for us to hear. It stands complete and is understood through the leading of the HOLY SPIRIT.

the bible is supposed to about for you isn't it? After all it's an instruction book on how to live in a way that god deems acceptable.

hence no third party commentary or fluency in ancient languages should be necessary.
That was the Protestant philosophy during the Reformation. Everyone, with the help of the Holy Spirit, can read the Bible for themselves with perfect understanding. That wasn't the Catholic position because language, cultures, and times change. One Protestant read the Bible, didn't understand the Hebrew (not that the King James translation was any help with that) and presto! He decides according to the Bible the earth is six thousand years old. Anyone who could read the Hebrew knew Ussher had it all wrong. Still, to this day (more than 200 years later) some still believe the earth is about six thousand years old.

My other favorites, of course, is that people believe the events written about in Revelation are yet to happen, when each one happened two thousand years ago. Some Protestants believe there will be a day when some will be "Raptured" off the planet. And speaking of the planet, some think there had to be zebras, polar bears, and penguins on Noah's ark. Read the Hebrew. It didn't say the flood covered the planet, but the earth (meaning the ground) as far as the eye could see.

It is my opinion that Protestants and their insistence that everyone can read and understand the Bible on their own may be responsible for the number of atheists today. Don't tell me that understanding the history and cultures (commentary) and fluency in the original language(s) isn't necessary. Early Jews and Christians would be laughing hysterically at the ideas of Rapture, penguins on the ark, etc. Bet you anything they would be saying, "Don't know what you're reading, but it's not the Bible!"

Perhaps you can understand why limiting answers about the Bible to "Yes" or "No" isn't at all practical.

I haven't yet met a Catholic priest that was fluent in ancient languages so they are just being told what to say by someone else.

And if god is the perfect unassailable all powerful being you'd think that he would understand that languages would evolve wouldn't you?
Many protestant ministers are well versed in both GREEK and HEBREW. Both are ancient languages of GOD's Word.
or so they say.

So the bible is what a bunch of different people decided was the true word of their god
The Bible has been around thousands of years. And JESUS gave full credence to the scriptures comprising the Old Testament. Some of what JESUS said and reaffirmed are recorded in the New Testament. Everything that is in both the OLD & NEW Testament is what GOD wished for us to hear. It stands complete and is understood through the leading of the HOLY SPIRIT.

I don't believe that.

The one god religion is just a scaled down version of the many gods religions.

gods are created by men

I think the uncle nephew relationship in some ways is better than dad and son. We smoke weed together. We drink together.
Have you told his dad about the smoking and drinking?
He’s cool with the drinking not the smoking. But he smokes without me so once he smokes, that’s on him. I’m not going to be a dick, rat or a hypocrite. I didn’t introduce him to cannabis

So no lady, you can not look out for yourself. Because of bias and the good old boys club. Diversity programs are designed to fight that bias.
Not my experience. When I was in that situation, horrors of all horrors, when I brought the matter to their attention, white men agreed with my point and put things right. You can say I was lucky, you can say it was my abilities, but I never needed government help, and the men and women I worked with (and for) needed the government to do any fighting for me. Not only that, there has never been anyone to fight against. Most people have a natural inclination towards fairness. Perhaps you don't and believe no one else does either? How much government help have you personally needed throughout your life that you believe everyone else needs it, too?

By the way, because genealogy is a hobby, I no for a fact no female ancestor of mine ever stood for any man patronizing or disrespecting her. In my very humble lineage, women owned small businesses as a sideline for other accomplishments. They were executors (when history books in error tell us, women couldn't be executors). They sailed across the ocean on their own, traveled the wilderness on their own (when history books tell us that women couldn't travel on their own that she had to go where her husband was. Tell that to one of my female ancestors who told her husband he could stay in the colonies if he wanted, but she was sailing back to England. On her own.

Again, how much have you had to depend on the government or someone else to stand up for you? Don't you ever find that having to always find someone else to fight your shadow battles for you belittling? Don't tell this lady she can't fight. She has--and so have ladies before her. Don't be so patronizing.
Such hogwash. Just look at my mom's high school yearbook from the 50's and 60's. Look at what every woman wanted to be when she grew up. Housekeeper, maid, teacher, nanny, housewife. Not too long ago you weren't even considered to be the VP of the HR department. You still wouldn't if it weren't for diversity programs and AA.

Today you can be the VP of the HR department or maybe accounting but never sales or Engineering. This means most likely you will never be the CEO's.

You are still being treated like a second class citizen. Republican women never seem to mind. They know their place.
Almost every Republican woman I know has a PhD and is as near to or actually running a department or division of a company.
On the other hand, education is a Biblical mandate for Jews.
There goes another Republican wanting us to go based on their personal observations on life not the facts. Not the numbers. Let's go based on the opinion that most women Indeependent knows have PHD's.

This is why poor and middle class people shouldn't vote Republican. Republicans speak for spoiled entitled people. They don't know the real world.

P.S. Do they have real PHD's or Jill Biden phD's?
Real PhDs; that’s why every atheist wants a Jewish professor or surgeon.

Nobody should vote for anyone who belongs to a group with an established agenda that has succeeded in rendering 99% of US citizens as poor.
Trickle down has done that. Reagan. Doesn't work. Clinton had 8 great years. Gore picked a Jew as his running mate. He later showed he was more loyal to Israel than he was to his constituents. Remember how close LIEberman and Bush were on Iraq?

And Trump admitted that they lied us into Iraq. But I remember jews didn't care back then. They loved it that we were attacking one of Israel's enemies. How did that turn out for the USA? Not good.

Bush sent all our high paying manufacturing jobs overseas to break unions. This also made the middle class disappear.

And Bush/McCain and Romney all said back then illegals were just here doing jobs Americans won't do. This also made the rich richer and the middle class poorer.

Then Bush and Trump's tax breaks made the rich richer and widened the gap between the rich and poor even more.

So how many policies have I named that Republicans did that all created the widening gap between rich and poor? 4 or 5?
Raygun was a piece of shit, as was Sr Bush and GW.
Clinton and Obama did not stem the Business Visa tide.
Too late then. You think they could have done anything about it with Republican's and special interests fighting them? Let's face it. NAFTA and globalization is the way of the future. Yea sure I was against it all back in the day but now I've learned to live with it. Adapt. Figure it out.

My brother works at a fortune 500 they hire indians from India. He explained the reality. Sorry if it hurt you but maybe that was your problem not being able to find a job. Lots of white american men in America are thriving in IT despite the things that happened to you.

And boo hoo. You want a cheap car so you buy from Mexico or China. That was ok with you. But when it hit your industry, suddenly you want government protection. Too late. You did this to yourself. Now either you have the skills to go out and find a 6 figure job or you don't. Don't blame Obama or Clinton for this. Blame yourself for voting against labor.
I know US citizens who work in IT; connecting cables.
After the BVs get their Green Cards they are fired and have to work as cashiers.
I know as I see them every time I go shopping; the Best & The Brightest I used to see in the city standing at a cash register for 10 hours a day exhausted out of their minds.
God Bless Corporate America!
Yup. They do not value labor. No worker protections.

This is why people need to stop having so many kids. If you are middle class you can afford to have 1 maybe 2 kids. No more. And it'd be great if a lot of us didn't have kids. Like me. I know I don't like when you say a lot of people... but a lot of people I know don't have kids. I don't think so many people 20 years ago didn't have kids.
It’s time to stop voting by letter and let the bastards know it.
China, India and Mexico aren’t practicing birth control.

The one-child policy was a program in China that was implemented nationwide by the Chinese government in 1980 in order to limit most Chinese families to one child each. The policy was enacted to address the growth rate of the country’s population , which the government viewed as being too rapid.

one-child policy | Definition & Facts | Britannica
www.britannica.com/topic/one-child-policy
www.britannica.com/topic/one-child-policy
I’m still waiting for your condemnation of FoxConn and Trespassers wages.

What
I never heard of foxcon and trespassers wages. I rarely watch FoxNews.
Either you’re a complete ignoramus or you’re full of shit.
The truth is you don’t give a shit about anyone but yourself and will never condemn the use of cheap slave labor.

What cheap slave labor are you speaking of?
For someone who claims to be business savvy you come across as incredibly stupid.
Even Tim Cook has addressed the issue.

Who is Tim Cook?
Google is your friend and I no longer believe you know anything about business.

Oh I have no interest in cell phone companies.
I believe you have no interest in anything but the destruction of Israel.

You're crazy.. No one wants to destroy Israel.
I couldn’t tell from reading your revisionist history.

The Jews have always been good t propaganda and the Palestinians never had a voice. The quick fix after WW2 was to bring in another 500,000 European Holocaust survivors and displace 700,000 Palestinians.
What did us Americans do with the native Indians who were already here?

Dark days...nothing to be proud of.
Like every other nation in history.
I wish white Americans would have occupied all the coastal states and left the middle of America to the native Americans. What an amazing country it would be. The entire center of our country would be all natural. Beautiful. Of course being like parasites us humans would eventually encroach on the center. Pretty soon we would consume two states in and the center would get smaller.

He’s cool with the drinking not the smoking. But he smokes without me so once he smokes, that’s on him. I’m not going to be a dick, rat or a hypocrite. I didn’t introduce him to cannabis
I was just wondering if you were open with your nephew's parents, letting them know you sometimes drink and smoke with their son. I am not even suggesting you would be a dick, rat, or hypocrite. I tend more toward irony. For example, you can be open with younger set, but not those in your own age group? Again (with a smile) I was thinking it would be ironic if this were the case, but I didn't want to jump to any hasty conclusions.

I was just wondering if you were open with your nephew's parents, letting them know you sometimes drink and smoke with their son. I am not even suggesting you would be a dick, rat, or hypocrite. I tend more toward irony. For example, you can be open with younger set, but not those in your own age group? Again (with a smile) I was thinking it would be ironic if this were the case, but I didn't want to jump to any hasty conclusions.
My brother and wife looked me square in the eyes and said if I ever smoked pot with him they’d never forgive me.

He smokes pot without me. They even know he smokes pot. They just don’t want me contributing.

Hes an adult. 18 years old. But still he and I know never tell his parents we smoke together.

By the way she asked me, she and my brother would not be cool with it.

If that were true that would be the case regardless of the location.
Exactly right. You're a little slow today. But you would not need to rely on rhetorical parlor tricks, if you had good evidence. That's why you want the bullring. It's your MO at all times.

If that were true that would be the case regardless of the location.
Exactly right. You're a little slow today. But you would not need to rely on rhetorical parlor tricks, if you had good evidence. That's why you want the bullring. It's your MO at all times.
I'm not the slow one who made an excuse with no merit but thanks for agreeing with me that your excuse had no merit even if you couldn't be honest about it. You are scared. I get it.

LOL

I always find it amusing when Christians can't answer my simple questions about large errors in the bible.

Carry on with the bogus attack on Richard Dawkins if that will make you feel better.

The bible is not a science book. Only fools act as if it is.
Viktor you are seriously wrong. The Holy Bible is replete with science, beginning with the first Sentence of the first Chapter of the first Book, viz., "In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth." It took science 2,000 years to validate this scientific fact. 2,000 years.

or so they say.

Jesus ministry was built entirely around the original written Torah, the real Torah as opposed to the fake 'oral Torah' cult invented by the Pharisees in the 2nd Century A.D. and its 600 odd ridiculous 'laws' they tacked on to Moses's real Torah.

or so they say.

Jesus ministry was built entirely around the original written Torah, the real Torah as opposed to the fake 'oral Torah' cult invented by the Pharisees in the 2nd Century A.D. and its 600 odd ridiculous 'laws' they tacked on to Moses's real Torah.
The problem was Jews love to assimilate so the Rabbis had to, so to speak, modify the behavior and habits of their flock.

Viktor you are seriously wrong. The Holy Bible is replete with science, beginning with the first Sentence of the first Chapter of the first Book, viz., "In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth." It took science 2,000 years to validate this scientific fact. 2,000 years.
Oh gods.

LOL

I always find it amusing when Christians can't answer my simple questions about large errors in the bible.

Carry on with the bogus attack on Richard Dawkins if that will make you feel better.

The bible is not a science book. Only fools act as if it is.
That's funny.

You were joking, weren't you? I mean, otherwise your comments would be espousing a profound level of ignorance concerning the depth of scientific discovery. I can gain a clear account of the total sum of your knowledge of science from your statement. How can you be so very certain about science matters that you claim originates in a book compiled during a pre-scientific time? Here’s something astonishing: the earth revolves around the sun. Have you surrendered your very thought processes to blind subservience to a dogmatic creed? Try cracking open a science book before making such absolute proclamations.

or so they say.

I don't believe that.

The one god religion is just a scaled down version of the many gods religions.

gods are created by men
The "gods" created by men have all been proven to be but sinful -- though supposed "super" humans. They all have fallen human traits including sensual promiscuity, and moral degradation. They are all very material and full of themselves, the thing Idols are made of. The "gods" were indeed created by men ----- with the help of the one who wished to be GOD himself... I would think that even you know to whom I'm referring...

GOD alone is triune (three in one). GOD alone is love. GOD alone sacrifices HIMSELF to save that which is lost. GOD alone does reveal HIMSELF openly and with no secrets --- no mystic shrines, no secret societies, no vestal virgins. GOD alone is invisible and not some pretty nick-knack designed by man for others to admire. GOD alone is not some scaled down version of the "gods" as you suggest. But then you don't know GOD.

The "gods" created by men have all been proven to be but sinful -- though supposed "super" humans.
With the Bible god character, we didn't have to wait around for the proof. The inventors designed the sins of vanity, cruelty, jealousy, and dishonesty right into him, when they invented him.

Forum List

Back