Reversing Type 2 Diabetes

I think diet and exercise have a bigger impact on your blood sugar
EXACTLY, rw. I have Type 2 Diabetes, I've changed my diet completely. Due to diabetes and currently dealing with the effects of Covid-19, I've lost close to 60-70 lbs. in ONE YEAR.

I was diagnosed Type 2 a year ago.
I lost 45 lbs just by cutting out sugar, carbs and starches.
A1c dropped from 9.3 to 5.8
WOW! Good for you, rw. My last A1c was under 6, as well. It was OVER 11 when I was first diagnosed about a year ago. I COULD have died then. Now I've got COVID, as well, which I most likely caught spending 5 days recently in a shelter for those with mental problems. I started having crazy hallucinations (it was determined this was PROBABLY caused by a wrong mix of medications). I have OCD, depression AND Manic depression on top of everything else. Most of the people there were nice, ESPECIALLY the other patients staying there. I don't EVER want to go there again, but the people there, both MOST of the staff and virtually all of the other patients who were there were great. THE best thing about my stay was the FOOD, which was excellent. I MAY have to go to an assissted living place after I get over COVID, but NOT without my DELL computer!
I wish you well
Do what needs to be done to get your health under control. Been a bad year with COVID. Lost my Sister-in-Law to COVID last month. Not something to take lightly
Sorry to hear that about your sister-in-law. My sincere condolences to you and your family. You are one of the smartest people that posts on here, I know this especially from your sports knowledge and memories of big moments over the years in sports. We may not agree on politics, but I can tell you are a good man. Henry Aaron passing recently made me wept. He IS, of course, the REAL all-time home run leader. I even named our cat, Oh! Henry, in honor of Henry Aaron, writer O. Henry, and writer, Henry James. RIP, Mr. Aaron. Keep up the good work with your handling of diabetes, rw.

Badger has camped out every night since 1 April 2020 and not a penny for heat 10+ hours per day. Badger’s A1c shows a diagnosis of pre-diabetes, so we’re not yet ready to buy the low-temperature scenario. However, a convenience-store diet triggered by the pandemic might tip the balance. Boycott this type of diet immediately. Importantly, pre-diabetes (is [italics]) a diagnosis, and can be reversed. Let none tell you otherwise. A1c is a marker on erythrocytes that determine diabetic tendencies.

So I spent about 2 minutes in the shower under cool water yesterday and felt so energized when I walked out of the shower! I realize that the best way is gradual acclimation and very slowly spending more time under colder and colder water. It takes some getting used to. The benefits are listed in the links, too numerous to list.

The doctor said “fruits and vegetables.” V8 makes Sweet Greens, a juice consisting of sweet potatoes, yellow carrots, cucumber, spinach, celery, kale, romaine lettuce, green pepper, apples, white grapes, pineapple, strawberries, banana puree, etc.

Texas or Florida red grapefruit ($1.29) can be quartered in a bowl large enough to hold half and use a steak knife and fork, forming smaller pieces, peels are cleaned in the mouth then discarded, juice collects in bowl without making a mess.

Fuji apple (Washington State) $0.60, kiwi $0.79. Leaving the peels on, the kiwi is de-haired with a pocket knife And eaten as is. We are currently hunting the rare purple sweet potato for colorful solar-cooked kabobs in summer, and there may be wild greens to speak of in reversing A1c.

Badger has camped out every night since 1 April 2020 and not a penny for heat 10+ hours per day. Badger’s A1c shows a diagnosis of pre-diabetes, so we’re not yet ready to buy the low-temperature scenario.

I find that fascinating, I really do. Is this sleeping outdoors voluntary, or a result of the pandemic?

We deliberately self-evicted from the apartment house due to lax security precaustions such as tenants allowing visitors to open the front door at will by inserting a piece of thin cardboard into the lock. Traffic at all hours of the night, and strangers in your face in a narrowed, remodeled hallway, some of which could have been coming from the Hot Zone in Milwaukee (March 2020). In another scenario by the same real estate agency, negligence of structural damage, which badger as resident manager pointed out to management, caused an electrical fire. One man, hard of hearing and asleep at the time, woke up to a fireman breaking down his door with an axe to remove him to safety.

So why does heat shock also decrease A1C?

Heat Shock / Type 2 Diabetes
’....One underlying mechanism supporting the development of type 2 diabetes among obese individuals and the worsening of glucose control is the attenuation of the heat shock response (HSR), which is closely associated with heat shock protein (HSP) 72 expression. HSP72 acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti-apoptotic, and cell protective molecule, and the regulation of HSP72 expression is tightly related to insulin signaling.’

That's interesting badger, thanks so much for posting that. Mild electrical stimulation (MES) with heat shock also showed positive benefits, albeit less robust than thermogenesis. I would guess much of that reason is you can withstand a greater temperature variation from cold shock than you can from either heat shock or electrical stimulation, both of which would be too painful to try and simulate the effects of cold shock.

If you want to learn more about the benefits of cold shock, the worlds greatest practitioner is Wim Hof, AKA The Iceman.

We’re not that surprised with either heat or cold temperatures in metabolism. Woolly mammoth genes also show this connection to cold-shock and HbA1c:

Woolly Mammoth Cold Adaption in Extreme Environments

Woolly Mammoth Haemoglobin
’....show many features reminiscent of human Hb.’

It is the thickness of the blood, a person from Ohio going down to Georgia will have trouble breathing for a few days (the haemoglobin connection).

When looking to natural phytochemistry for anti-T2D compounds, we find that the James A. Duke database of phytochemicals seems defunct. For instance, a search ‘urtica’ yields no results. Duke died in 2017 and it looks like they are now hawking his book while preventing access to his marvelous database, which he would likely oppose were he still alive. If the database has truly been disabled, this is capitalist exclusionary violence in your face with Chicago grills

I went from a 6.6 insulin resistant to a 5.6 in less than three months, on a half-assed Keto diet. It's easy enough, just leave off the bread and sugar, if you got a sweet tooth just buy the Russell Stover sugar free candy with stevia. I did the shakes for breakfast and supper 3-4 days a week, threw in a big salad with crackers and varied from poached eggs with bacon to double meat cheeseburgers with onion rings or something. Lost 25 # in 2.5 months and never starved myself even a little bit. Now I'm at 4.9, still high but not diabetic or pre-diabetic.

What if there is a family history of diabetes? Does diet really matter then?

A family history may implicate many genes, though sans a family history, it looks like diet is a strong factor. The trick is to know more about diet-gene connections in both familial and non-familial contexts.

What if there is a family history of diabetes? Does diet really matter then?

Don't know enough, and there are all kinds of conflicting opinions, but as SmokeALib said, avoiding carbs seems to work in all cases I know of; that certainly works in my case. A 'family history' merely indicates one is more susceptible to the disease, not an absolute certainty; just lose the weight and avoid the carbs. Exercise too, if you don't get any routinely; I do a lot of outside work and manual labor around my place year round, so i don't do calistenics or long walks or stuff, but the latter do work at burning off sugar and carbs as well. Keto diets are high protein and retrain your body to burn fats for energy instead of carbs. Ask your doctor about that first, though, as it is hard on some people's body's, according to some doctors.

Last edited:
A genetic basis for type 2 diabetes has been confirmed. Here is a large, comprehensive Swedish study:

Familial Type 2 Diabetes
’....Much of the familial clustering remains yet to be genetically determined....The data from adoptees confirmed the genetic basis of familial associations.’

One of my best childhood friends had diabetes almost from birth, had to give himself insulin shots all the time. He lived to be 63. Nobody else in his family had it, even in old age, which we all thought was weird.

Forum List

Back