Requiring a license to vote might not be a bad idea

lennypartiv

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2019
Dumb voters are definitely a problem. IQ tests would be my first choice, but I doubt Dems would let that happen. While this candidate isn't calling for licensing, he does realize that letting incompetent people vote does damage to America.

---Wisconsin Senate Candidate Says Old People Shouldn't Get To Vote Because They're almost dead---

There was a time not so long ago when several Southern states had "Literacy" tests that had to be passed in order for folks to register to vote. It was rumored that the scoring for such tests was subjective, and often "colored folks" were failed, thus being denied a voter registration card. Indeed, that was proven to be the case.

When challenged, the United States Supreme Court ruled that the way those tests were implemented in Louisiana presented an illegal and unconstitutional impediment to Negro voters, and that test was shot down. Other states were pressured to do likewise, and there are no states that still have literacy tests for new voters.

But it is instructive that the Court did not rule that literacy tests were an unacceptable impediment to voting; it ruled that that particular test in that particular state was unacceptable. So by reverse inference, the USSC ruled that it would be acceptable to have a literacy test, as long as it did not demonstrably screen people on the basis of traits mentioned in the 14th Amendment or applicable laws.

In recent years it has become accepted wisdom that any "test" that results in a "disparate impact" between or among the races and/or various genders is presumed to be a manifestation of illegal discrimination. But this is manifestly not the case. If the test could be shown to be race and gender-neutral, such a test would be perfectly legal, even today.

My own suggestion would be to require everyone applying for a new voter registration card to pass the same Civics test that immigrants must pass - in English - in order to be naturalized. What could be fairer than that?

Of course, a large percentage of would-be Democrats would be denied a voter registration under my plan, so it will never be implemented. But we can dream, can't we?

There was a time not so long ago when several Southern states had "Literacy" tests that had to be passed in order for folks to register to vote. It was rumored that the scoring for such tests was subjective, and often "colored folks" were failed, thus being denied a voter registration card. Indeed, that was proven to be the case.

When challenged, the United States Supreme Court ruled that the way those tests were implemented in Louisiana presented an illegal and unconstitutional impediment to Negro voters, and that test was shot down. Other states were pressured to do likewise, and there are no states that still have literacy tests for new voters.

But it is instructive that the Court did not rule that literacy tests were an unacceptable impediment to voting; it ruled that that particular test in that particular state was unacceptable. So by reverse inference, the USSC ruled that it would be acceptable to have a literacy test, as long as it did not demonstrably screen people on the basis of traits mentioned in the 14th Amendment or applicable laws.

In recent years it has become accepted wisdom that any "test" that results in a "disparate impact" between or among the races and/or various genders is presumed to be a manifestation of illegal discrimination. But this is manifestly not the case. If the test could be shown to be race and gender-neutral, such a test would be perfectly legal, even today.

My own suggestion would be to require everyone applying for a new voter registration card to pass the same Civics test that immigrants must pass - in English - in order to be naturalized. What could be fairer than that?

Of course, a large percentage of would-be Democrats would be denied a voter registration under my plan, so it will never be implemented. But we can dream, can't we?
Literacy tests are still a good idea

Forum List

Back