Requiem for the Internet

I don't have a problem with most of that disappearing. If it was important, I saved it on my own hard drive, and if it wasn't, I don't need my less than completely considered remarks or pictures from back then biting me on the ass.

Interesting article. No surprises, but a reminder that the internet is fleeting. It comes, it goes.
I would love to see many of the conversations etc, I had on another message board I belonged to, and was an administrator of, that around 2010 or so was listed in the top 10 most popular message boards.
All gone. Perhaps still sits on a server somewhere that isn't even hooked up, but most likley gone.
As will all posts made here when this site eventually disappears

On a sad note, several people I knew back then that made 1000's of posts - died. And we got news they died. Their content is gone also.
One I think here is Sunshine. I also knew her from the other board, going back 15 years or so.
She had some issues and was quite old I knew about, she simply stopped posting and hasn't returned in going on 5 years.
As an example.

Was anything of value honestly lost?

A lot of it was just a sewer, so who cares?

Last edited:
Hey, it's OK with me....life is a fleeting thing....here today gone tomorrow!

9Lgh0KY.jpg

Not every forum is a sewer, especially specific forums.
I am a homebrewer, there are a couple of forums that have invaluable information on them that can help brewers through numerous issues.
As well as an abundance of product experience and reviews.

Windows 10 pisses me off- does that count? Even the solitaire on Windows 10 is on the internet- I have to subscribe to "the cloud" to access documents I saved with Word from Windows 7- some of those documents were from another message board I chose to get banned from vs apologizing for a copy and paste headline from yahoo- fascist enterprises piss me off I don't care what political stripe they wear-

Not every forum is a sewer, especially specific forums.
I am a homebrewer, there are a couple of forums that have invaluable information on them that can help brewers through numerous issues.
As well as an abundance of product experience and reviews.
Questioner appears to think life is one continuous sewer. I guess if ya live in one that's going to be your view on life....... :eusa_whistle:

Windows 10 pisses me off- does that count? Even the solitaire on Windows 10 is on the internet- I have to subscribe to "the cloud" to access documents I saved with Word from Windows 7- some of those documents were from another message board I chose to get banned from vs apologizing for a copy and paste headline from yahoo- fascist enterprises piss me off I don't care what political stripe they wear-
Well good for you........ (dripping with sarcasm)
Well let's see, I have a local account which means I don't log in with Microsoft unless I choose to. Cortana and all telemetry are shut off, the only documents I have saved to the cloud are the ones I saved there myself, I don't use Word I use LibreOffice (it's free) and I don't get pissed off at shit I can't control.........
Oh and this specific desktop I'm on right now is running Linux Mint 19.2

Open Office

Well let's see, I have a local account which means I don't log in with Microsoft unless I choose to. Cortana and all telemetry are shut off, the only documents I have saved to the cloud are the ones I saved there myself, I don't use Word I use LibreOffice (it's free) and I don't get pissed off at shit I can't control.........

You're above average...... digitally speaking. When you mention Linux......the crowd thins significantly.

habNATAm.jpeg
View attachment 299117 View attachment 299117

View attachment 299118 View attachment 299117 View attachment 299117
Everyone has their favorite distro. I prefer not to have to code to make things work and I prefer the land yachts of operating systems. Typically KDE is my favorite but it's often a little buggy from time to time though it is getting better which is why I currently use Mint with the Cinnamenu applet, super stable. One day maybe KDE will be as stable.

Microsoft is patching a major Windows 10 flaw discovered by the NSA (updated)

Microsoft is patching a major Windows 10 flaw discovered by the NSA (updated)
linux pc vulnerability 2019 - Google Search

Oops........

New Topics

Forum List

Back