Advice On Proper Graphics Card Needed...

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
I don’t know much about computers at all. But I know some you do... The situation is this. I’m trying to upgrade the graphics card in this PC( HP Pavilion 690-0013w Gaming Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support ). Apparently HP is douchy about their builds. And this one meets that expectation. From what I gather; they use a proprietary mother board, and this PC is practically impossible to upgrade in any meaning full way, that isn’t more expensive than its worth.
From what I’ve read I can update the graphics card to a 1050ti. Is that right? The HP site says so, so... Which 1050ti? When I went to look em’ up to buy one; there are apparently different ones. And I don’t know the differences.
Any insight would be appreciated.

I don’t know much about computers at all. But I know some you do... The situation is this. I’m trying to upgrade the graphics card in this PC( HP Pavilion 690-0013w Gaming Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support ). Apparently HP is douchy about their builds. And this one meets that expectation. From what I gather; they use a proprietary mother board, and this PC is practically impossible to upgrade in any meaning full way, that isn’t more expensive than its worth.
From what I’ve read I can update the graphics card to a 1050ti. Is that right? The HP site says so, so... Which 1050ti? When I went to look em’ up to buy one; there are apparently different ones. And I don’t know the differences.
No advice but Dell did the same thing to me. Proprietary hardware, in Dells it was RAM. I'll never make that mistake again.

The motherboard should accept the nvidia cards. Not sure why there are so many flavors of the 1050. Lot of reviews on YouTube and the web though, looks like homework time. Good luck.

The motherboard should accept the nvidia cards. Not sure why there are so many flavors of the 1050. Lot of reviews on YouTube and the web though, looks like homework time. Good luck.
The variety is what has me wondering. I don’t want to buy one that my motherboard won’t accept...

EVGA cards are the best NVIDIA cards on the market and the TI is the best "higher end" card compatible with your system. MSI is probably the next best card you can get. You can't upgrade past the TI due to the fact your 310 Watt power supply cannot be upgraded because it has non standard proprietary power wiring so it can't power the better mid range to higher range graphics cards that require direct power connections. Why HP only put a 310 Watt PSU in a "gamer" is beyond me.
If you're trying to play some of the newer higher graphics games on the market today with the system you have then forget it, your current HP can't handle them even with an upgrade to the TI.

EVGA cards are the best NVIDIA cards on the market and the TI is the best "higher end" card compatible with your system. MSI is probably the next best card you can get. You can't upgrade past the TI due to the fact your 310 Watt power supply cannot be upgraded because it has non standard proprietary power wiring so it can't power the better mid range to higher range graphics cards that require direct power connections. Why HP only put a 310 Watt PSU in a "gamer" is beyond me.
If you're trying to play some of the newer higher graphics games on the market today with the system you have then forget it, your current HP can't handle them even with an upgrade to the TI.
Fair enough. Then what is the best option for a plug and play graphics card upgrade? Even if it isn’t stellar?

Fair enough. Then what is the best option for a plug and play graphics card upgrade? Even if it isn’t stellar?
Any 4 GB MSI, ASUS or PNY listed here will work.
msi GeForce GTX 1050 ti newegg - Google Search

Any EVGA, MSI, ASUS or PNY here will work.

evga GeForce GTX 1050 ti newegg - Google Search

Don't worry about the GDDR5 listing, it's backwards compatible.

I buy all my computer components through Newegg, awesome customer service. If there's a problem you can send it back free of charge within the prescribed time frame.

Forum List

Back