Republicans vote in support of Biden's COVID mandates

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
Well, heck. I dunno. Maybe the electorate can just vote harder?

Anyway. Another day in the neighborhood....

''Democrats needed to pass Biden’s budget, funding all the mandates and immoral activities of executive agencies. Republicans needed to give their base the impression they were fighting the mandates while concurrently ensuring that the budget passes. So, they hatched a plan to guarantee that one more Republican than Democrat would be absent, thereby assuring that even if they held an up-or-down vote (with a simple plurality), it would lose.

Democrat leader Chuck Schumer agreed to allow Sen. Mike Lee’s amendment to come up without a 60-vote threshold because four Republicans were out of town: Mitt Romney (R-Utah), James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), and Richard Burr (R-N.C.). This allowed every Republican present in the chamber to vote for his amendment, which would have defunded the vaccine mandates. However, as always, it came up one vote short and failed, 46-47. The Cruz amendment, which would have blocked school vaccine mandates, failed 44-49, with GOP Sens. Collins and Blunt joining the Democrats.

Some might focus their ire solely on those four GOP senators who were absent. Undoubtedly, they should be condemned for missing such an important point. But the broader picture reveals that the problem is not just in a few GOP senators but the entire leadership. They only agreed to hold these votes because they knew (or ensured) there would be one more Republican than Democrat missing in the chamber. That was the perfect outcome for them, whereby they got to hold a protest vote for the base but give away their leverage. This is proven by the fact that the other amendment they voted on – a balanced budget requirement by Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind.) – actually did “win” by 47-45 (Democrat Sens. Manchin and Sinema joined), but that was cleverly set at a 60-vote threshold because they knew they needed it. It’s all kabuki theater.

But the real revealing vote was the cloture vote to proceed with the bill knowing that they didn’t have the votes present to pass the amendment. Seventeen Republicans, including all of leadership, voted for cloture, thereby relinquishing the leverage, knowing they could never secure the votes to change the budget bill. Those Republicans were: Rubio (R-Fla.), Hagerty (R-Tenn.), Rounds (R-S.D.), Capito (R-W.V.), Moran (R-Kan.), Shelby (R-Ala.), Cassidy (R-La.), Murkowski (R-Alaska), Tillis (R-N.C.), Cornyn (R-Texas), Portman (R-Ohio), Wicker (R-Miss.), Blunt (R-Mo.), Collins (R-Maine), Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.), Kennedy (R-La.), and McConnell (R-Ky.). Ultimately, 19 Republicans voted for final passage of the continuing resolution, which passed 65-27: the original 17 plus Barrasso (R-Wyo.) and Rounds (S.D.).''

Continued - Horowitz: Senate GOP helps codify Biden’s mandates by supporting his budget

Good to see another source instead of the Breitbart one I posted this morning as it did nothing to flesh the situation out. :)

Ha! If the gop thought they were going to get away with a mere protest vote they had another think coming to them.....I'd like to see where the money leads on this one.

Then again both Lee and Cruz are famous for putting forward things that have no hope of passing just to pander to their base....That time is past, we know panderers when we see them.

Good to see another source instead of the Breitbart one I posted this morning as it did nothing to flesh the situation out. :)

Ha! If the gop thought they were going to get away with a mere protest vote they had another think coming to them.....I'd like to see where the money leads on this one.

Then again both Lee and Cruz are famous for putting forward things that have no hope of passing just to pander to their base....That time is past, we know panderers when we see them.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see another thread on it.

It's called >you snooze you lose<

Only nine Republican senators have signed on to the call for defunding the mandates in the budget bill.

They are as follows:

Mike Lee (R-Utah)
Rand Paul (R-Ky.)
Ron Johnson (Wis.)
Ted Cruz (Texas)
Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.)
Roger Marshall (R-Kan.)
Mike Braun (R-Ind.)
James Lankford (R-Okla.)
James Risch (Idaho)
Kevin Cramer (N.D.).

Only nine Republican senators have signed on to the call for defunding the mandates in the budget bill.

They are as follows:

Mike Lee (R-Utah)
Rand Paul (R-Ky.)
Ron Johnson (Wis.)

Ted Cruz (Texas)
Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.)
Roger Marshall (R-Kan.)
Mike Braun (R-Ind.)
James Lankford (R-Okla.)
James Risch (Idaho)
Kevin Cramer (N.D.).
I figure just the ones I put in bold are serious about it.

''Democrats needed to pass Biden’s budget, funding all the mandates and immoral activities of executive agencies. Republicans needed to give their base the impression they were fighting the mandates while concurrently ensuring that the budget passes. So, they hatched a plan to guarantee that one more Republican than Democrat would be absent, thereby assuring that even if they held an up-or-down vote (with a simple plurality), it would lose.

Democrat leader Chuck Schumer agreed to allow Sen. Mike Lee’s amendment to come up without a 60-vote threshold because four Republicans were out of town: Mitt Romney (R-Utah), James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), and Richard Burr (R-N.C.). This allowed every Republican present in the chamber to vote for his amendment, which would have defunded the vaccine mandates. However, as always, it came up one vote short and failed, 46-47. The Cruz amendment, which would have blocked school vaccine mandates, failed 44-49, with GOP Sens. Collins and Blunt joining the Democrats.

Some might focus their ire solely on those four GOP senators who were absent. Undoubtedly, they should be condemned for missing such an important point. But the broader picture reveals that the problem is not just in a few GOP senators but the entire leadership. They only agreed to hold these votes because they knew (or ensured) there would be one more Republican than Democrat missing in the chamber. That was the perfect outcome for them, whereby they got to hold a protest vote for the base but give away their leverage. This is proven by the fact that the other amendment they voted on – a balanced budget requirement by Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind.) – actually did “win” by 47-45 (Democrat Sens. Manchin and Sinema joined), but that was cleverly set at a 60-vote threshold because they knew they needed it. It’s all kabuki theater.

But the real revealing vote was the cloture vote to proceed with the bill knowing that they didn’t have the votes present to pass the amendment. Seventeen Republicans, including all of leadership, voted for cloture, thereby relinquishing the leverage, knowing they could never secure the votes to change the budget bill. Those Republicans were: Rubio (R-Fla.), Hagerty (R-Tenn.), Rounds (R-S.D.), Capito (R-W.V.), Moran (R-Kan.), Shelby (R-Ala.), Cassidy (R-La.), Murkowski (R-Alaska), Tillis (R-N.C.), Cornyn (R-Texas), Portman (R-Ohio), Wicker (R-Miss.), Blunt (R-Mo.), Collins (R-Maine), Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.), Kennedy (R-La.), and McConnell (R-Ky.). Ultimately, 19 Republicans voted for final passage of the continuing resolution, which passed 65-27: the original 17 plus Barrasso (R-Wyo.) and Rounds (S.D.).''

Continued - Horowitz: Senate GOP helps codify Biden’s mandates by supporting his budget
The Rinos in bed with the Demonrats have exposed themselves.

I figure just the ones I put in bold are serious about it.

Hard to say, really. The board isn't really set up to keep tabs on Washington critters the way they need to be watched. And it never will be.

Really wish there was a sub forum for each state. That way you can keep a trail of exactly what these folks are doing in meaningful context.

It's these types of pitiful showings that make Independents throw-up their hands and stay home.....Just sayin'.

Or run someone else.

The party-of-one is ripe for the plucking.

There's no valid reason why independents shouldn't be organizing and running in all 50 states.

Hard to say, really. The board isn't really set up to keep tabs on Washington critters the way they need to be watched. And it never will be.

Really wish there was a sub forum for each state. That way you can keep a trail of exactly what these folks are doing in meaningful context.
Those types of sub-fourms are usually pretty dead on other sites I belong to except during election time.

They usually devolve into "I'm moving to NOtVA" type of shit on the Virginia ones.....Blah.....It's enough to make you want to puke coat-hangers.....Here comes another fuckin' transplant. :eusa_wall:

What the FUCK are you people talking about, and what the FUCK are you going to do about it?!?

I just say, wear a mask. Unless you're Chinese.

Still an Assclown:
D781FA44-1331-4B8C-805B-55565A46C216.jpeg

March 1st: Senators, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Supreme Court, Presidential Cabinet, POTUS, First Lady, Vice POTUS. The most powerful people in the country, packed in the US House, with NO masks....

FM5FC_5XEAI5cqO

us-soldiers-fight-in-shade.jpg

They look like morons wearing those masks.

Forum List

Back