Republicans raise taxes 300%!

Looks like the legislature JUST passed some relief too...

Businesses to be spared unemployment-tax hike

To help boost the state's economy, state lawmakers opened the annual legislative session by passing a bill to delay steep increases in unemployment taxes.

Florida lawmakers gave sweeping approval Tuesday to a measure that delays a steep unemployment compensation tax hike for businesses.

The reprieve will force Florida to borrow an additional $4.3 billion from the federal government to cover benefits for the state's growing number of unemployed workers.

It's a trade-off the Republican-dominated Legislature is willing to accept given dire predictions from the business community about how the unemployment-tax increase would only lead to more pink slips.

``The business community {Ravi} has their tax bills on their desks right now,'' said Sen. Rudy Garcia, R-Hialeah, the Senate sponsor.

The bill unanimously passed the House and Senate and Gov. Charlie Crist signed it into law just before his State of the State speech. It's the first of many initiatives lawmakers will consider this year to help boost the state's dismal economy.

``There is no better message to send to our fellow Floridians on the opening day,'' Crist said in a statement.

Democrats initially wanted to expand unemployment eligibility to tap another $440 million in federal dollars. But to avoid delaying the bill, they ceded their argument that the bill didn't address the larger problem.

``This is not going to fix the problem,'' acknowledged Rep. Ron Saunders, D-Key West. ``This is going to delay the fix.''

Republicans helped ease Democrats' concerns by including a provision to extend unemployment benefits for up to eight weeks, a move that will help about 20,000 workers.

A year ago, the unemployment compensation fund held $1.3 billion, but it was emptied by August 2009 as the jobless rate rose to the current 11.8 percent. Since then, the state has borrowed about $250 million a month to pay benefits -- a total now topping $1.2 billion.

Anticipating the deficit, Florida lawmakers passed legislation in 2009 to keep the fund solvent by increasing the unemployment taxes paid by Florida's 474,000 employers.

The rate charged to the majority of employers was expected to climb from $8.40 a worker to $100.30 a worker, a 12-fold increase.

But under the current bill, these businesses will face a $25.20 per-worker cost. The maximum rate will remain $378 per worker.

In borrowing the money, the state will owe approximately $658 million in interest. The first payment is due in September 2011 and lawmakers said businesses will pay increased assessments to cover the cost.

``The train is coming,'' Rep. Dave Murzin, R-Pensacola, said of the interest payment. ``But this gives some predictability to the business cycle so business can plan to get hit by the train.''
Businesses to be spared unemployment-tax hike - Legislature - MiamiHerald.com
I guess that's why I got my notice the other day that they were "only" raising it by 300%. :lol:

:lol: Your state doesn't have any income tax though, correct?

Why are Republicans raising our taxes 300% ??

Don't they know how hard it is for Americans right now?

:lol: :eusa_naughty:

And don't forget when Ravi's tax goes back to .0012 from .0036 it will only be a 66% decrease! So, effectively 234% just disappeared into thin air! Those bastards! :eusa_eh:

Again, idiot.. learn about the facts rather than re-spewing the misinformation vomit

I've been reading your posts for months now Diamond Dave

Since when have you been concerned with facts???

Last edited:
Wait a second... :eusa_think: Now that I think of it...

The tax went from from .0012 to .0036

The rate tripled but when expressed as a percentage increase, it is actually 200%

( If it went from .0012 to .0024 it would be a 100% increase or doubled, etc. )

Just sayin' :lol:

Again, idiot.. learn about the facts rather than re-spewing the misinformation vomit

Funny asshole.. when I post something, I back it up.... I do not feel the need to lie or attempt to fool someone into misinformation, like you do

The rate tripled but when expressed as a percentage increase, it is actually 200%

.0012 x 300% = .0036.

:eek:

.0012 x 300% = .0036.

:lol: See? Percentages can be sooo confusing/misleading.

.0012 x 300% = .0036.

:lol: See? Percentages can be sooo confusing/misleading.
Yep, just like the tax brackets... :thup:

Funny asshole.. when I post something, I back it up.... I do not feel the need to lie or attempt to fool someone into misinformation, like you do

Maybe you should consider backing up what you say with actual facts. It would be a first

Maybe you should consider backing up what you say with actual facts. It would be a first

I continually back up every assertion with any supporting facts that have been researched... I continually look further in than just the headline or what someone posted as a thread title... my stances do not waiver and are based in logic and experience.... more than we can say for you, turd burglar... as seen in this very thread where you spewed off in support of a misleading thread title without looking into the facts...

go fuck yourself

Well what would you expect from the Party of Tax, Borrow and Spend Reagan, who raised taxes 8 times in 6 years???

Last edited:
Well what would you expect with the Party of Tax, Borrow and Spend Reagan, who raised taxes 8 times in 6 years???

Yet another who read the thread title and did not look into what was behind the actual story... pitiful

And on your 'point'.. raising taxes is not inherently a bad thing... as long as it is paired with controlled spending in lines with the constitutional responsibilities of government... just as lowering taxes is not inherently a bad thing, when government cuts out spending it no longer needs to do....

Unfortunately we see tax increases and increased wasteful spending... we see unequal treatment in taxation.. we see a system saturated with loopholes, red tape, and wasted monies thanks to so many agencies and middlemen...

.0012 x 300% = .0036.

Semantics problem.

They increased the rate BY 200%.

Thus, the current rate is 300% of what it had been.

.0012 x 300% = .0036.

Semantics problem.

Correct. My shock and dismay lead me into making a math error.
:redface:

.0012 x 300% = .0036.

Semantics problem.

Correct. My shock and dismay lead me into making a math error.
:redface:

They had a choice to meet the extension of unemployment benefits. Who to tax.

So they opted to tax those that are gamefully employed.

You do realize that empoloyers bear a great deal of the unemployment burden, but many of those businesses went out of business.

So with this in mind, do you see a better alternative?

Forum List

Back