Republicans defending Big Government Surveillance, again....

This is quite revealing in that it shows that the repubs have a price that they will hand over their liberty for. SAD :(

Turnkey Tyranny: Surveillance and the Terror State
By exposing NSA programs like PRISM and Boundless Informant, Edward Snowden has revealed that we are not moving toward a surveillance state: we live in the heart of one. The 30-year-old whistleblower told The Guardian’s Glenn Greenwald that the NSA’s data collection created the possibility of a “turnkey tyranny,” whereby a malevolent future government could create an authoritarian state with the flick of a switch. The truth is actually worse. Within the context of current economic, political and environmental trends, the existence of a surveillance state doesn’t just create a theoretical possibility of tyranny with the turn of a key—it virtually guarantees it.

This is quite revealing in that it shows that the repubs have a price that they will hand over their liberty for. SAD :(

By exposing NSA programs like PRISM and Boundless Informant, Edward Snowden has revealed that we are not moving toward a surveillance state: we live in the heart of one. The 30-year-old whistleblower told The Guardian’s Glenn Greenwald that the NSA’s data collection created the possibility of a “turnkey tyranny,” whereby a malevolent future government could create an authoritarian state with the flick of a switch. The truth is actually worse. Within the context of current economic, political and environmental trends, the existence of a surveillance state doesn’t just create a theoretical possibility of tyranny with the turn of a key—it virtually guarantees it.

Do you really think this problem is isolated to republicans?

Where is the connection to Republicans? All this occurred under Obama's watch.

Blaming their crimes on Republicans is standard operating procedure for turds like dot.com

While violating the Constitution is reprehensible, as weapons technology improves, we're going to find ourselves facing down weapons and attacks that'll make 9/11 seem like the good ol' days. Government surveillance may be illegal, but it may also become something we learn to live with since the alternative is much worse. And of course as the old counter-arguement goes, if not doing anything wrong, what do you care if the government knows about it?

Oh, please. That tired old hunk of shit wont stick to the wall anymore. And as far as doing nothing wrong is concerned, the government is the one who decides when someone is doing something "wrong" and can use such sweeping information in very Orwellian ways.

So, yes, it does matter whether or not I'm doing anything wrong. I have a RIGHT to privacy in my person and property.

Other than knowing the word 'Owellian,' can you actually list any consequences of a law-abidding citizen being negatively impacted by government surveillance?

Happened to me and I'm still paying for it.
Say the wrong thing to the wrong people(none of it illegal or threatening)and you end up on a list.
Requested info using the FOI and they refused to give it to me. This happens more then you can imagine.
This started during the clinton admin.

"think"? :eusa_eh: I know.

teapartypatriotact1-thumb-475x425-302.png

:thup:

Republicans love big gov't because, as we know, all Republicans, especially after their pogrom on moderates :up: have a price. They are easily bought by special interests (insurance, banking, big agri, big pharma, etc, etc...

George W Bush famously got caught spying on American citizens without a warrant. With his Patriot Act, he tried to do an end-run around the Constitution in order to formalize and legalize spying.

Obama, who lacks the moral courage to challenge Dick Chaney and his constant appearances on FOX News defending NSA Spying and the Patriot Act, has failed to destroy the Bush Surveillance State.

Recently, because of the Snowden leaks, it has come to light that Big Government (NSA) has been over-tracking phone, internet and consumer activity of free Americans - and creating huge data bases, stored in massive data silos in Utah. Information on nearly every American now exists so that future administrations could use it however they like, despite Government assurances that they would never, ever do anything wrong or un-Constitutional with this data. But who really knows what will happen once a particular form of Government Power exists? Maybe a president will come to office who wants to analyze gun purchases, and he will use these new concentrated data collection powers for unintended purposes. This is why Libertarians (and the Constitution) protect privacy, because once compromised at the institutional level, it can be used in ways that have unintended consequences. [Don't try explaining this to Republicans because they tend to trust Big Government, and they couldn't imagine how mistakes and abuses could take place once Bush awarded concentrated surveillance powers to big government. This is why Republicans never opposed the Bush Surveillance State, because they tend to be more obedient to their leaders than the Constitution].

Fast forward to the 12/22 episode of "This Week w/George Stephanopoulos", where, once again, the Republicans are defending the invasion of privacy.

House Intelligence Committee Chair Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich, was defending Big Government Surveillance Power against one of its harshest critics, Democratic Senator Mark Udall. And now Obama, because of mounting pressure from the Democrats, is considering taking legal actions to curb Big Government's power to spy on free Americans.

Of course, everybody anticipates that Dick Chaney will appear on FOX News to intimidate the President from curbing the Government Power that he (Chaney/Bush) put in place.

But a question remains.

Why do Republicans like giving Big Government so much power? We all want a perfect utopia of total safety where big brother protects us every second of every day from terrorism, but why do Republicans ALWAYS believe that giving Government more power will solve this and other problems? What if giving Government more power will actually make things worse? When Republicans destroy the Constitution to make us safe, they are actually putting us in more danger. Do they know this?

[Psst: the Republicans are coming back in 2016, when I predict they will defeat Billary and re-take the White House. When this happens they will re-kindle the War on terrorism, and shore up the Patriot Act and NSA Spying. Remember: their last president created these new government powers, and they just need one more homeland attack to create even greater surveillance powers. Meaning: you ain't seen nothing yet. If you thought Bush's warrantless wiretapping was a turning point in American History, than just wait... and see what happens once they re-kindle the War on Terrorism, with all its strategically used fear and terminal color coded warnings on every channel. The party that created the Patriot Act and the Department of Homeland Security is coming back in 2016, and they always govern using a Big Enemy and National Security, always.]

[Psst 2: Attention Republicans, please follow this link and read about the Department of Homeland Security, which was created under Bush. This is what happens when you give government more power, despite your best intentions. Click me]

So three Republicans defend the NSA surveillance program, and one of them isn't even in office. You're forgetting that Obama defended it, and so have numerous Democrats. Most rank and file Republicans oppose it.

Oh yeah, they were for it before they were against it Of course they went against when a Dem took the office of the presidency.
And we can say the opposite about the Dems, who were against before they were for it.

For the record, I was against it under Bush, and remain against it under Obama.

That SAID, he (Obama) might just have a little more SAY in the matter with a HOUSE that doesn't disagree with ITSELF simply to block ANY thing from getting done.

I was against it when "W" and the gang did it and I'm against it now. "O" and the Dems are just as guilty.

"W" and the gang?

These are the 98 U.S. senators for voted in favor of the US Patriot Act of 2001 (Senator Landrieu (D-LA) did not vote) Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin was the only senator who voted against the Patriot Act on October 24, of 2001.

These are the 89 U.S. senators who voted in favor of the March 2, 2006 Patriot Act Reauthorizing Act.

I didn't publish the list, but I assure you none of the Democrats were part of W's gang.

So lets see a far left Obama drone uses a far left blog site to bash republicans for doing what Obama is fighting to keep in place.

Not sure that anyone other than a far left Obama drone could follow that logic.

I was against it when "W" and the gang did it and I'm against it now. "O" and the Dems are just as guilty.

"W" and the gang?

These are the 98 U.S. senators for voted in favor of the US Patriot Act of 2001 (Senator Landrieu (D-LA) did not vote) Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin was the only senator who voted against the Patriot Act on October 24, of 2001.

These are the 89 U.S. senators who voted in favor of the March 2, 2006 Patriot Act Reauthorizing Act.

I didn't publish the list, but I assure you none of the Democrats were part of W's gang.

Shhhhhh!

You can not defeat far left talking points with facts it is not allowed.

Forum List

Back