Republican, Keystone XL earmark is bad for America

That "freshwater aquifer" has been polluted for decades by agriculture.

Pipelines are nothing new, why does this one frighten people so?
Desperate scare tactics from the petrophobes.

This pipeline would alleviate bottlenecked inventories of midwestern US domestic oil.
While some volumes of the Canadian oil might be destined for export, by no means would it all be exported.
Nowhere near it.

Why are lies so easier to grasp than truth?
"some volumes"? Can you be more specific? As to spills, the existing pipeline had 10+ in < year.

Why don't you tell us? I could give a fuck if 100% of this Canadian oil headed right out the back door. You haven't addressed my concerns about agriculture pollution.

Why are we polluting our air, ground, and water with pesticides herbicides and fertilizers while BIG AG exports millions of metric tons of grain year in and year out while our grocery bills go up and up and up?

Put your shit in perspective, get a grip, and calm down.

That "freshwater aquifer" has been polluted for decades by agriculture.

Pipelines are nothing new, why does this one frighten people so?
Desperate scare tactics from the petrophobes.

This pipeline would alleviate bottlenecked inventories of midwestern US domestic oil.
While some volumes of the Canadian oil might be destined for export, by no means would it all be exported.
Nowhere near it.

Why are lies so easier to grasp than truth?
"some volumes"? Can you be more specific? As to spills, the existing pipeline had 10+ in < year.

Why don't you tell us? I could give a fuck if 100% of this Canadian oil headed right out the back door. You haven't addressed my concerns about agriculture pollution.

Why are we polluting our air, ground, and water with pesticides herbicides and fertilizers while BIG AG exports millions of metric tons of grain year in and year out while our grocery bills go up and up and up?

Ag pollution- your "concerns" :eusa_eh: This thread, started by me, is about my concerns :eusa_eh: Thats why I started it :cuckoo:

Ag pollution- your "concerns" :eusa_eh: This thread, started by me, is about my concerns :eusa_eh: Thats why I started it :cuckoo:

Fair enough. I stand bitch-slapped. :D

Firstly, surface oil spills are relatively benign given that historical quantities have been minimalized. That's an arguable point to be sure, but I'll hold to it. In contrast- surface applications of agriculture chemicals pose a very real threat on a daily basis. I point that out merely to compare and contrast the two events.

Secondly, here's a portion of my post from another thread that may address concerns over the destination of this Canadian oil...

...domestic demand for motor fuels has dropped because of the depressed economy and of course higher prices. Foreign economies aren't doing much better but there are select markets where demand for motor fuels (and other refined fuels and products) has increased quite a bit. So, rather than flood the U.S. with even more expensive motor fuels (which would not drive down the retail price), refiners are seizing the opportunity to export refined products.

Is this a bad thing? I think not. Refineries operate best at near capacity. Better efficiencies and better economics. Rather than idle capacity or shut down entire units and lay off workforce, its best to run near full-tilt. Ergo... the net export of fuels and products.

So, no - this Canadian oil would not be used for U.S. energy alone. Why should it be?
This NET exporting of refined products results in more economic activity and value that is added HERE. It's driven by overseas demand and follows the same export-led strategy that other industries use in order to compensate for lower US demand for their output.

Does this scenario sound familiar? It should.

Many years ago, we reached a threshold in this country where agriculture became such a large and efficient industry that they were producing more food and food-grade products than we could ever hope to consume. So- what did they do? Ag exports are a multi-billion dollar business. Personally, I'm wondering why my grocery bill has skyrocketed while agriculture is allowed to export millions of metric tons of grain annually. I also wonder why 30% of our corn crop is turned into something as useless as ethanol. And I'm wondering why we EXPORT 20% of the ethanol that is produced.

To make a long story longer, you can flood the market with $90 oil and you'll just have more $90 oil. You can flood the market with $4.00 gasoline and you'll just have more $4.00 gasoline.
But if you take some of that oil, and some of that gasoline, and find a way to get it to an "end market" and do so by generating economic activity, increasing jobs, contributing to the GDP of this country, and reducing the trade deficit- well why the fuck not?

24 hrs people!!!

24-Hour Message Blitz to Stop the Keystone XL Pipeline - Campus Progress
So far, these companies have doled out more than $1.6 million in campaign contributions and $65.7 million on lobbying, returning more than $30 worth of tax breaks for every dollar they invested&#8212;a 3,000 percent return on their lobbying efforts, and they&#8217;re still sitting on tens of millions in cash reserves.

Let&#8217;s add more insult to that injury.

All of the this has not led to higher employment&#8211;rather, the five big oil giants have actually reduced the work force by 11,200 employees between 2005 and 2010, according to a report distributed by members of the Natural Resources Committee called &#8220;Profits and Pink Slips: How Big Oil and Gas Companies are Not Creating U.S. Jobs or Paying Their Fair Share&#8221; [PDF].

:lol:

have to dig out old threads...how funny

You really are clueless as to the goings-on in Washington steph :banghead:

https://secure.nrdconline.org/site/...id=2673&JServSessionIdr004=3qdnghjyh5.app305a
Just a month after President Obama rejected a permit for the disastrous Keystone XL tar sands pipeline, the Senate is about to vote on a deal that could green-light construction of the project. The environmental community is mobilizing for an all-out push to deliver over 500,000 messages to Capitol Hill by noon on Tuesday. Tell your Senators to vote NO on any provision that would approve the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline!

Last edited:
Where was the environmental community when the Alberta Clipper pipeline was approved?

This, from the Department of State website:

http://albertaclipper.state.gov/clientsite/clipper.nsf?Open

The Department found that the addition of crude oil pipeline capacity between Canada and the United States will advance a number of strategic interests of the United States. These included increasing the diversity of available supplies among the United States&#8217; worldwide crude oil sources in a time of considerable political tension in other major oil producing countries and regions; shortening the transportation pathway for crude oil supplies; and increasing crude oil supplies from a major non-Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries producer. Canada is a stable and reliable ally and trading partner of the United States, with which we have free trade agreements which augment the security of this energy supply.

Approval of the permit sends a positive economic signal, in a difficult economic period, about the future reliability and availability of a portion of United States&#8217; energy imports, and in the immediate term, this shovel-ready project will provide construction jobs for workers in the United States.

Alberta Clipper pipeline- bringing Canadian crude across the border, traversing 3 states.

The environmental concerns were ironed out in three years of studies and Barry didn't even try to use them so that's a non-issue. As far as jobs go it's the king of shovel ready jobs. The pipeline would employ tens of thousands and hundreds of supporting industries would be impacted not to mention the potential of cheaper energy. It's a thousand times better than the community organizer idea of dolling out money to unions to pave a highway that doesn't need paving and building a bridge to nowhere..

Where was the environmental community when the Alberta Clipper pipeline was approved?

This, from the Department of State website:

U.S. Department of State

The Department found that the addition of crude oil pipeline capacity between Canada and the United States will advance a number of strategic interests of the United States. These included increasing the diversity of available supplies among the United States’ worldwide crude oil sources in a time of considerable political tension in other major oil producing countries and regions; shortening the transportation pathway for crude oil supplies; and increasing crude oil supplies from a major non-Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries producer. Canada is a stable and reliable ally and trading partner of the United States, with which we have free trade agreements which augment the security of this energy supply.

Approval of the permit sends a positive economic signal, in a difficult economic period, about the future reliability and availability of a portion of United States’ energy imports, and in the immediate term, this shovel-ready project will provide construction jobs for workers in the United States.

Alberta Clipper pipeline- bringing Canadian crude across the border, traversing 3 states.

thanks for the link :) :
Because the Alberta Clipper Project requires a crossing of the U.S.-Canadian border, a Presidential Permit is required from the U.S. Department of State for the Project to proceed. As a result, the Project has been environmentally reviewed by the U.S. Department of State in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), which requires public disclosure of potential environmental impacts, identification of potential mitigation measures, and consideration of alternatives to avoid or minimize potential significant impacts.
crude is also less labor intensive to process (15% less labor/carbon-producing intensive than tarsand)
Key Facts on Keystone XL | Tar Sands Action
Extraction and refinement of oil sands are more GHG-intensive compared to conventional oil.

Another fun fact :) :

2. Keystone XL Would Have Increased Domestic Oil Prices

Currently, Canadian oil reserves stored in the Midwest help suppress gas prices in the United States, particularly for farmers in our nation’s heartland.
RELATED STORIES
Obama administration rejects Keystone pipeline permit
Pipeline pushover: What Obama’s Keystone XL decision really tells the American public

In its permit application for the pipeline, TransCanada noted that the Keystone XL pipeline would allow the company to drain these reserves and export that fuel as well. According to TransCanada’s own statements, this would raise gas prices in the United States, especially in the Midwest.

Read more: Six Reasons Keystone XL Was A Bad Deal All Along | Fox News

:eusa_whistle:

3. Keystone XL Overstated Number of Jobs to be Created

In 2008, TransCanada’s original permit application to the State Department said the Keystone XL pipeline would create “a peak workforce of approximately 3,500 to 4,200 construction personnel” in temporary jobs building the pipeline.
By 2011, now facing growing opposition to the pipeline, TransCanada had inflated these numbers (using undisclosed formulas) to 20,000. Supporters of the proposal, backed by big oil, have since trumpeted these trumped up numbers.

This is truly hilarious. I said I thought it might create 6,500 jobs and Fox is saying 3,500 to 4,200? Really? Previously, they said a "million". They got "bit" by reality?

Even more hilarious were the Republicans who were against it opposing the Republicans who were for it. Strange.

So, what's your point? Alberta Clipper will also move tar sands crude to U.S. markets.

Word up, homey- Canada will produce their crude from tar sands with or without the Keystone XL and there's not a fucking thing you or your enviro-tard pals can do about it, regardless of how many signatures are garnered.

Less crude from Canada (whatever their source) means less crude from undesireable source nations.
Keep in mind that we're running a 9 million barrel per day deficit in crude consumption.

Your concerns are acedemic and esoteric. You're creating fear where none exists. Environmental causes as pertains to the Keystone XL are just that- mental.

I don't give a fuck if this Keystone project created zero jobs in this country.

The bigger picture is lost on the stoopid.

Ship millions of barrels per day by sea- from folks that want us dead, or build pipelines from a friendly adjoining neighbor.

Spin your bullshit how you will, you are the stupid leading the stupid.

Ship millions of barrels per day by sea- from folks that want us dead, or build pipelines from a friendly adjoining neighbor.

What are you getting all worked up over :eusa_eh: Also, do try to keep up. 10+ leaks in < a year in the existing pipeline. We've already gone over this :eusa_wall: Also, a sizable portion of the oil will be exported which I have ALSO already mentioned. You people just take what Fox tells you w/o question :eusa_doh:

This is not a thread where you can post your zany opinions. If you want to refute my cited material, put up some reputable links other than Fox, the oil lobby, & Koch Industries to refute my assertions :)

Last edited:
The only independent analysis of the XL pipeline concluded that it would be a net negative for the US economy due to pollution and oil spills

What are you getting all worked up over :eusa_eh: Also, do try to keep up. 10+ leaks in < a year in the existing pipeline. We've already gone over this :eusa_wall: Also, a sizable portion of the oil will be exported which I have ALSO already mentioned. You people just take what Fox tells you w/o question :eusa_doh:

This is not a thread where you can post your zany opinions. If you want to refute my cited material, put up some reputable links other than Fox, the oil lobby, & Koch Industries to refute my assertions :)

Zany Opinions! :laugh::rofl::laugh:

Zany Opinions! :laugh::rofl::laugh:

Pretty good post huh? :cool: :razz:

Where were all you eco warriors when Phase I and Phase II was built?

Why do you care now little greenies? Phase III has been in the works for quite a while and Phase IV is on the horizon as well.

Ahhhhhhh. It's an election year.

That's the ticket. You eco minions are rising to support your dear Leader, while Obama pays off old whacko Warren.

Forum List

Back