Repeal of the XVII Amendment

In the 'States Issues" part of our government -- you do realize that States have a say in our Republican form of government, right? -- the people are involved only is so much as they elect their
state legislature.

Much like the fact that the President of the United States is elected by the States, the Senators to are State elected officials. Or should be.

The 17th SHOULD be repealed.

Yes, Senators are elected by the states they represent. I don't get to vote on who is the Senator from Nevada. But I do get to vote on who is the Senator for Georgia.

Yes, Senators are elected by the states they represent. I don't get to vote on who is the Senator from Nevada. But I do get to vote on who is the Senator for Georgia.
And you shouldn't.

People vote their own interests. States also have their own interests and the way our government was set up, they have a say in how our government is run. That say is found in the US Senate.

Your vote and say along with my vote and say, can be found in the House of Representatives.

This is civics 101.

In the 'States Issues" part of our government -- you do realize that States have a say in our Republican form of government, right? -- the people are involved only is so much as they elect their
state legislature.

Much like the fact that the President of the United States is elected by the States, the Senators to are State elected officials. Or should be.

The 17th SHOULD be repealed.
They knew what they were doing when they passed the 17th amendment

Power to the people

The entire process of voting is a fraud. They impose oppressive laws and taxes on people, and they especially love going into unpayable debt and habitual perpetual legalized murder called wars.
They NEVER LET the peasants VOTE AGAINST their profit making wars!
Why vote for some guy to oppress and rob me?
That is their way.
That is why they run for political office.
There was a time when those in political office had consented to be governed by the American Man in order to get their job.
Now the politicos love to govern and rob the American Man.
They call it democracy which has been a fraud since it was first invented by the Rich dudes in ancient Greece to trick the peasants into supposing they have a say in things. But, the Rich man hires the best speakers to con the peasants into any racket the Rich dudes want. TV News, newspaper etc. are the same thing

No, we did not. State selection of Senators was perfectly and aptly designed to put a major roadblock against mob rule which you favor, Commie shitbag.
Wrong.

Amending the Constitution to repeal the 17th Amendment is solely about bad-faith partisan politics.

Absent the 17th Amendment, the Senate would be permanently controlled by Republicans; currently, 30 state legislative bodies are controlled by Republicans, which would give Republicans a 60 seat majority in the Senate.

When will you give this tripe up? I want a RETURN to the original methods wisely put forth by the founders. And if it hurts your widdle far Left "sensabilities"? GOOD!
See post #31.

Amending the Constitution to repeal the 17th Amendment is solely about advancing the tyranny of Republican minority rule – to create a permanent Republican majority in the Senate whose agenda is opposed by the majority of the people, a permanent Republican majority acting contrary to the will of the majority of the people.

The right’s war on democracy continues.

Wrong.

Amending the Constitution to repeal the 17th Amendment is solely about bad-faith partisan politics.

Absent the 17th Amendment, the Senate would be permanently controlled by Republicans; currently, 30 state legislative bodies are controlled by Republicans, which would give Republicans a 60 seat majority in the Senate.
Good! Anything to keep you Communists on a choking leash is a good.thing.

When will you give this tripe up? I want a RETURN to the original methods wisely put forth by the founders. And if it hurts your widdle far Left "sensabilities"? GOOD!

Republicans know they can’t win national elections
They do, however control state legislatures. That will allow them to stack the Senate with unelectable Republicans

We the People won’t stand for it

Im torn about this. People should decide but the voters, by a HUGE margin, are complete dumbfucks.
And the founders knew this, and were well educated as to how pure democracies have always failed throughout history. That’s why they structured our government the way they did.

And the founders knew this, and were well educated as to how pure democracies have always failed throughout history. That’s why they structured our government the way they did.

We don’t have a pure democracy, no nation does

We are talking about people electing their own representatives

We don’t have a pure democracy, no nation does

We are talking about people electing their own representatives
My initial thought was bad idea because New Mexico would never again have a Republican senator.

But. . .having slept on it now. . .I'm at least considering the concept. After all the people of the states elect their legislators so they would be electing who chooses their senators so maybe the framers were onto something.

Right now the cost of an average senate election runs between several million to five hundred million dollars and most of the cash comes from outside influences. This is a terrible situation in which Mr. or Mrs. qualified but middle income American probably is never going to be able to be elected but only those beholden to those shelling out all that money. The cost of a state legislature seat is negligible in comparison.

So maybe the Founders had it right all along. Appointed senators would keep the power in the hands of the people but remove the ability of powerful influences to buy senate seats.

Last edited:
This is a terrible situation in which Mr. or Mrs. qualified but middle income American probably is never going to be able to be elected but only those beholden to those shelling out all that money.

How many working class, middle American Senators do you think would be selected in back room deals?

Senators would owe their seat to the partisan party that selected them. They would be afraid of offending the party boss in their state and not care at all about the opinion of We the People

How many working class, middle American Senators do you think would be selected in back room deals?

Senators would owe their seat to the partisan party that selected them. They would be afraid of offending the party boss in their state and not care at all about the opinion of We the People
The reason we have an elected instead of appointed senate in the first place is not because of backroom deals but because of the problem of deadlocked legislatures so that the state went without senate representation for awhile. If I remember right, one time New York went without senate representation for several months due to that. The 17th amendment should have addressed a remedy for that instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

We're never going to get away from backroom deals. But better they be contained within a state instead of coming from outside sources over which the people have no control at all.

The reason we have an elected instead of appointed senate in the first place is not because of backroom deals but because of the problem of deadlocked legislatures so that the state went without senate representation for awhile. If I remember right, one time New York went without senate representation for several months due to that. The 17th amendment should have addressed a remedy for that instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

We're never going to get away from backroom deals. But better they be contained within a state instead of coming from outside sources over which the people have no control at all.

To me, it comes down to accountability of Senators

Are they accountable to the people that elected them or the politicians who selected them?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back