Repeal of the XVII Amendment

No, we did not. State selection of Senators was perfectly and aptly designed to put a major roadblock against mob rule which you favor, Commie shitbag.
It was also meant to keep federal budgets in check, as it's the states which are in charge of collecting federal taxes.

Senators beholden to state legislatures would tend to pour buckets of cold water on bailouts and other "rescue" spending sprees.

I have long believed that the Senate should focus solely on issues that affect the states as a whole. This is why we should and MUST go back to state legislatures selecting Senators, rather than relying on the vote.

I fully agree but Benjamin Franklin predicted this.

“When people find out they can vote themselves all the money in the treasury, they will.” ~Benjamin Franklin

Putting the Senate in the hands of the people took one layer of protection from mob rule. Just hang out for 20 years or so, the United States will have a new country or two or three. Everything is in place to destroy our country. Now it is just a waiting game to see what happens. Get the popcorn ready.

No, having senators elected by state legislatures was one of the checks and balances to limit the power of the mob. The Senate was supposed to act like the House of Lords in the British Parliament, a brake on transitory popular enthusiasms.
Just love it when righties call their fellow Americans “the mob”! Why would anyone vote for someone that insults them? :rolleyes-41:

The candidates are actually picked by the media and the media tell us who they want to win, so is that any different than the back room deals?
Many Senators have been defeated

It would help in this economy. It is much cheaper to buy a few state legislators than the people.

No, we need more input from the people, not less.
I would argue that when State legislatures choose Senators they are more accountable to the people in their state than when elected by direct election. Especially given the short attention span of today‘s electorate. Senators, having a 6 year term hardly have to pay attention to the people they represent accept for their election year. But when they are elected by the state legislature that body can recall Senators much more easily and quickly than the general populace if they aren’t doing what’s in the best interest of their state.

Just love it when righties call their fellow Americans “the mob”! Why would anyone vote for someone that insults them? :rolleyes-41:
That's the way educated, successful men viewed the uneducated people back then. I'm pretty sure they still do but aren't as blatant about it.

I would argue that when State legislatures choose Senators they are more accountable to the people in their state than when elected by direct election. Especially given the short attention span of today‘s electorate. Senators, having a 6 year term hardly have to pay attention to the people they represent accept for their election year. But when they are elected by the state legislature that body can recall Senators much more easily and quickly than the general populace if they aren’t doing what’s in the best interest of their state.
Why not make the Senators directly accountable to We the People

Problem is now the vote buying and pandering become amplified. Senators need to be beholden to STATE'S interests and STATE"S interests alone. the "people" have the House of Representatives, be happy with that, Communist.
The State is…….We the People

They do not have separate interests

Uhhh, you do understand the irony of what you just said, right? Who would vote for someone who called them:

Deplorables?
Bitter clingers to God and guns?
Semi-fascists?

See where I'm going with this?

Uhhh, you do understand the irony of what you just said, right? Who would vote for someone who called them:

Deplorables?
Bitter clingers to God and guns?
Semi-fascists?

See where I'm going with this?
Don’t forget “whiny titty babies”. I’m afraid that works both ways. It’s the right slinging the most trash and keeping anything from getting done in DC, though that’s probably the agenda anyway. Why talk about how we can improve things, when you can talk about furries, litter boxes and chicks with dicks, as if they’re everyday concerns for most Americans?

Don’t forget “whiny titty babies”. I’m afraid that works both ways. It’s the right slinging the most trash and keeping anything from getting done in DC, though that’s probably the agenda anyway. Why talk about how we can improve things, when you can talk about furries, litter boxes and chicks with dicks, as if they’re everyday concerns for most Americans?
Thank God for that. Reagan was right, government IS and always will be the problem.

The bottom line remains, democrats routinely insult American voters, then get upset when said voters vote for Republicans.

Forum List

Back