Reparations Poll - vote for or against

Do you support or oppose "reparations"

• Support

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Oppose

Votes: 105 93.8%

• Total voters
Every election cycle we have some democrats trotting out the "free money" promise to supporters via "reparations". Any type of "reparations" have zero chance of becoming Law. The 2020 elections cycle is heating up and Kamala and Warren both support reparations.
Reparations for Slavery: Symbolism over Substance | National Review
Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren reportedly say they support reparations for black Americans affected by slavery

This is what reparations could actually look like in America

Reparations for Slavery Reading - Constitutional Rights Foundation

Rep. John Conyers hopes Americans are finally ready to talk about reparations
150 years of welfare,section 8,affirmative action etc is all the damn reparations they are getting.

There may be some "land grabs" that deserve to be looked at, would need to see some details for why & who get reparations. no details noted in the postings so far.

Please see the link below. It documents attempts to promote reparations since 2001, I didn't research it before 2001, but lets say from 2000 to 2020 qualifies as "every". If you prefer, I could say "every since 2000"?
Reparations for slavery debate in the United States - Wikipedia

Let's just say the following:

In living memory, no national presidential candidate ventured to do so much as bring reparations up as a policy proposal, and no national party so much as mentioned reparations in their campaign platform. Sure, there were civil society organizations advocating for reparations, even books and articles written about the matter, but that had nothing whatsoever to do with election cycles. Democrats, up to this year, stayed well clear of the issue, or rejected it. When Ta-Nehisi Coates's article in the Atlantic was published, in 2014, you could almost hear a needle drop amidst the frenetic Democratic applause.

And that's why this...

Every election cycle we have some democrats trotting out the "free money" promise to supporters via "reparations".​

... is misleading, at best. I would guess, you know better.

Nice try, but you seem to be overlooking John Conyers. He has been pushing for reparations since 1989. I take your point that the presidential candidates have been steering clear of that issue until this year, but IMHO Conyers using it in "election cycles" keeps my OP claim of "some democrats" using it as not very misleading.

Advocates still pushing for reparations to descendants of slaves
"In 2017, 150 years later, then-Rep. John Conyers of Michigan, as he had done since 1989, reintroduced bill H.R. 40, calling for the establishment of the Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act to "examine slavery and discrimination in the colonies and the United States from 1619 to the present and recommend appropriate remedies."
That's it? John Conyers?

How many times has he proposed that and where did those proposals go?

I wasn't aware that Conyers was running for President.

The CLAIM my idiot friend...was that Warren and Harris were calling for reparations.

You folks are lying?

Who'd thunk it huh?

You should read more.

"Senators Kamala Harris of California and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, both 2020 presidential candidates, have said they support reparations for black Americans to redress the legacy of slavery"

Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren signal support for reparations for slavery
"Signal Support"

That's a pretty far road from "cutting a check" isn't it...

Every election cycle we have some democrats trotting out the "free money" promise to supporters via "reparations". Any type of "reparations" have zero chance of becoming Law. The 2020 elections cycle is heating up and Kamala and Warren both support reparations.
Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren reportedly say they support reparations for black Americans affected by slavery

150 years of welfare,section 8,affirmative action etc is all the damn reparations they are getting.
So you think "welfare" (which no longer exists)food stamps and section 8 and affirmative action only help black people?

You'd be wrong

But that IS why you oppose those things

If it helps ANY black folks...it must be bad right?

Never mind the fact that those things help poor folks of ALL races

So which do you really hate?

Black folks?

Poor folks?

All of the above?

But that IS why you oppose those things

If it helps ANY black folks...it must be bad right?

Never mind the fact that those things help poor folks of ALL races

How about trying something new, like common sense. Who would get reparations, all blacks? Only blacks? Who would pay the reparations? I know I haven't owned any slaves. How about you?

One condition. Pay them and then ship them home to Africa.
This land is home.

I enjoyed the video, it was well done. It hearkens back to the old south with the imagery of a plantation and hanging tree and stars and bars. Not sure if blacks get that many people who fly the stars and bars today do so as a form of rebelling against the globalists and 1%'ers who keep them poor. For them its not a racist anti-black symbol of the old south, its a rebel symbol against the wealthy who moved their factory jobs overseas. Just sayin'...

And yet....
ship them home to Africa

I posted that video as a fitting reply to the very real sentiment offered up by Mike.

I have never heard that interpretation offered up before. I don't buy it.

Maybe they need a new symbol of rebellion. That one has too much baggage.

I don't want to ship anyone home but illegals. This is the black man's home. I am glad to see that message from our black brothers.
:beer:

How about trying something new, like common sense. Who would get reparations, all blacks? Only blacks? Who would pay the reparations? I know I haven't owned any slaves. How about you?

Can't give up your strawman huh?. No Dem candidates are talking about cutting a reparations check

Can't give up your strawman huh?. No Dem candidates are talking about cutting a reparations check

Say what? You may want to look up the definition of "reparation" before saying something stupid.

Please see the link below. It documents attempts to promote reparations since 2001, I didn't research it before 2001, but lets say from 2000 to 2020 qualifies as "every". If you prefer, I could say "every since 2000"?
Reparations for slavery debate in the United States - Wikipedia

Let's just say the following:

In living memory, no national presidential candidate ventured to do so much as bring reparations up as a policy proposal, and no national party so much as mentioned reparations in their campaign platform. Sure, there were civil society organizations advocating for reparations, even books and articles written about the matter, but that had nothing whatsoever to do with election cycles. Democrats, up to this year, stayed well clear of the issue, or rejected it. When Ta-Nehisi Coates's article in the Atlantic was published, in 2014, you could almost hear a needle drop amidst the frenetic Democratic applause.

And that's why this...

Every election cycle we have some democrats trotting out the "free money" promise to supporters via "reparations".​

... is misleading, at best. I would guess, you know better.

Nice try, but you seem to be overlooking John Conyers. He has been pushing for reparations since 1989. I take your point that the presidential candidates have been steering clear of that issue until this year, but IMHO Conyers using it in "election cycles" keeps my OP claim of "some democrats" using it as not very misleading.

Advocates still pushing for reparations to descendants of slaves
"In 2017, 150 years later, then-Rep. John Conyers of Michigan, as he had done since 1989, reintroduced bill H.R. 40, calling for the establishment of the Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act to "examine slavery and discrimination in the colonies and the United States from 1619 to the present and recommend appropriate remedies."
That's it? John Conyers?

How many times has he proposed that and where did those proposals go?

I wasn't aware that Conyers was running for President.

The CLAIM my idiot friend...was that Warren and Harris were calling for reparations.

You folks are lying?

Who'd thunk it huh?

You should read more.

"Senators Kamala Harris of California and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, both 2020 presidential candidates, have said they support reparations for black Americans to redress the legacy of slavery"

Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren signal support for reparations for slavery
"Signal Support"

That's a pretty far road from "cutting a check" isn't it...
What part of they want reparations do you NOT understand.

even if elected, their 'support' won't go anywhere.

But, they ARE for them.

So you think "welfare" (which no longer exists)food stamps and section 8 and affirmative action only help black people?

You'd be wrong

Welfare no longer exists?

Every election cycle the reprehensible right contrives ridiculous lies about Democrats – this thread being one of many examples.
So NO dem politician is floating the idea we should pay reparations?

Can't give up your strawman huh?.

seems you can't either

No Dem candidates are talking about cutting a reparations check

They're doing a damn good job of insinuating they will, aren't they?

/——/ Now Pocahontas wants reparations for Injuns. I guess she’s trying to smokem peace pipe with the tribes she pissed off. Elizabeth Warren says reparations for Native Americans should be 'part of the conversation'

Say what? You may want to look up the definition of "reparation" before saying something stupid.
So we're NOT talking about "cutting a reparations check"

Just to be clear..

You'd be wrong
So you think only blacks were slaves? You would be wrong...

Forum List

Back