Remington 1-1/2 .22 Rolling Block

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I saw this one yesterday at my "honey hole" shop but thought it was a bit high....Till I looked-up what they are bringing in like condition and found that the asking price was more than reasonable at $400.00 so I drove over and bought it. I did get him down to $350.00. ;)

1.50 001 (2).JPG

1.50 003 (2).JPG

These fine sporting rifles were made between 1888-1897 (it's a antique), this one sports a 26" medium weight octagon barrel (3/8" across the flats) with the original iron sights and a very strong bore, nice (no cracks) stock with steel nose cap, and it retains a bit of it color case-hardening but it's faded. The blueing is still in good shape.

I saw this one yesterday at my "honey hole" shop but thought it was a bit high....Till I looked-up what they are bringing in like condition and found that the asking price was more than reasonable at $400.00 so I drove over and bought it. I did get him down to $350.00. ;)

View attachment 779880

View attachment 779882

These fine sporting rifles were made between 1888-1897 (it's a antique), this one sports a 26" medium weight octagon barrel (3/8" across the flats) with the original iron sights and a very strong bore, nice (no cracks) stock with steel nose cap, and it retains a bit of it color case-hardening but it's faded. The blueing is still in good shape.
That looks well cared for. Great find!

Cool! .22 Short, or Long and Long Rifle too?
I'm thinking it's short or long only as I get some resistance/lead shaving with LR that I don't get with longs....22LR was not invented till 1887 so if it's a early production rifle, which I think it is, Remington might not have caught up with Stevens as far as chambering their .22s for LR yet.

I'm thinking it's short or long only as I get some resistance/lead shaving with LR that I don't get with longs....22LR was not invented till 1887 so if it's a early production rifle, which I think it is, Remington might not have caught up with Stevens as far as chambering their .22s for LR yet.

Nice chipmunk gun!