Remember when Disneyland had the attraction known as "Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln"?

The TRUTH is, since slaves DID NOT found this nation, DID NOT write the rules, laws, or set up the government and system, etc

They did not do any of those things because the people that did those things viewed black people as less than human.

If it is your position, that slaves built the confederacy, one hundred and seventy years ago? Fine, we are in agreement. Let's not over exaggerate the the impact of these various plantations, or variously held former involuntary workers.

Any slave, or their direct descendant, that is still alive, I agree, should be able to sue the families or the corporate organizations of the respective owning plantations/businesses or bond holders of their family members.

Other than that? No, there is no reason for a government wide, social revolution based upon a half truth, and an exaggeration.

Please remember that "built" also includes inventing, creating, planning, money, and many other issues that slaves had little or nothing to do with.
So please be truthful and accurate when you erroneously say that "slaves built the Confederacy!!! They HELPED build the Confederacy.

They did not do any of those things because the people that did those things viewed black people as less than human.

I don't disagree with you, but keep in mind your acknowledgement of their exclusion, means you agree with me, when I say that "slaves HELPED build this country", and not "slaves BUILT this country"!

Please remember that "built" also includes inventing, creating, planning, money, and many other issues that slaves had little or nothing to do with.
So please be truthful and accurate when you erroneously say that "slaves built the Confederacy!!! They HELPED build the Confederacy.
Slaves did more than pick cotton

They also planted it, took care of it, harvested it and brought it to market.
Many slaves were also skilled craftsmen

Slaves did more than pick cotton

They also planted it, took care of it, harvested it and brought it to market.
Many slaves were also skilled craftsmen

Yes, they provided labor, I already acknowledged that fact. They "HELPED" build this nation. They DID NOT "build this nation".

Not sure if it's still there, but I remember it well, it was one of their early animatronics exhibits. Probably around 1967 when I first saw it.

Today's Disney, however, sees Lincoln as no hero, and instead they are teaching kids that "slaves built this country".
In this putrid cartoon where the characters chant "slaves built this country" they also take a shot at Lincoln.

By the way, spare us the arguments about whether or not Lincoln fought the war to free the slaves or not.
The truth is, Lincoln's primary goal at the start of the war was to 'preserve the Union'.
Later, during the war, Lincoln did indeed desire to fight to end slavery.

Woke Disney sparks outrage with new kids cartoon that claims America was 'built on slavery' - as it pushes reparations and says Lincoln had no desire to liberate the enslaved​

Lincoln was not an evil man but he was racist, an innocent product of his culture. He honestly opposed slavery of any kind and saw it as evil, indefensible, immoral, cruel, but that did not equate with him seeing black people as equals. In fact he did not approve of any mingling of the races and considered how freed slaves and other black people might be expatriated to Liberia where they would be more welcome.

Nor did he have any intention of freeing the slaves which he did not see as a federal interest but one best left to the states. But when the South seceded, one of the weapons he used against them was an executive order to free the slaves in those states. He hoped by allowing the slaves easier means to escape their owners, he would further cripple the southern economy making it easier to force them to return to the union.

He understood what many of us know now: we must judge what people do by the mores and understanding of their culture, of their time, of their circumstances. To judge them by our mores, our time, of our culture, of our circumstances is a great injustice to those people.

As of the south itself, he said in a speech in Peoria:
"Before proceeding, let me say I think I have no prejudice against the Southern people. They are just what we would be in their situation. If slavery did not now exist amongst them, they would not introduce it. If it did now exist amongst us, we should not instantly give it up. This I believe of the masses north and south. Doubtless there are individuals, on both sides, who would not hold slaves under any circumstances; and others who would gladly introduce slavery anew, if it were out of existence. We know that some southern men do free their slaves, go north, and become tip-top abolitionists; while some northern ones go south, and become most cruel slave-masters."

And it is important to understand that the Emancipation Proclamation freed only the slaves in the seceding states and not those in the northern states.

President Lincoln and all the people of the North and South were all people conditioned, taught, inspired by the beliefs and mores and traditions of the culture of their time. Serious students of history will not condemn them for not seeing things as we see them now.

Why not?
I lived in the NY Suburbs at the time. I went twice

I suppose. you could have, I just have a feeling however that you are simply being grandiose.

If I start a thread on the anniversary of Neil Armstrong's historic steps, you would probably post that you were there at the launch.

I suppose. you could have, I just have a feeling however that you are simply being grandiose.

If I start a thread on the anniversary of Neil Armstrong's historic steps, you would probably post that you were there at the launch.

No, I didn’t see the launch but I could see the moon

Lincoln was not an evil man but he was racist, an innocent product of his culture. He honestly opposed slavery of any kind and saw it as evil, indefensible, immoral, cruel, but that did not equate with him seeing black people as equals. In fact he did not approve of any mingling of the races and considered how freed slaves and other black people might be expatriated to Liberia where they would be more welcome.

Nor did he have any intention of freeing the slaves which he did not see as a federal interest but one best left to the states. But when the South seceded, one of the weapons he used against them was an executive order to free the slaves in those states. He hoped by allowing the slaves easier means to escape their owners, he would further cripple the southern economy making it easier to force them to return to the union.

He understood what many of us know now: we must judge what people do by the mores and understanding of their culture, of their time, of their circumstances. To judge them by our mores, our time, of our culture, of our circumstances is a great injustice to those people.

As of the south itself, he said in a speech in Peoria:
"Before proceeding, let me say I think I have no prejudice against the Southern people. They are just what we would be in their situation. If slavery did not now exist amongst them, they would not introduce it. If it did now exist amongst us, we should not instantly give it up. This I believe of the masses north and south. Doubtless there are individuals, on both sides, who would not hold slaves under any circumstances; and others who would gladly introduce slavery anew, if it were out of existence. We know that some southern men do free their slaves, go north, and become tip-top abolitionists; while some northern ones go south, and become most cruel slave-masters."

And it is important to understand that the Emancipation Proclamation freed only the slaves in the seceding states and not those in the northern states.

President Lincoln and all the people of the North and South were all people conditioned, taught, inspired by the beliefs and mores and traditions of the culture of their time. Serious students of history will not condemn them for not seeing things as we see them now.

Well said!

The Submarine Ride was epic ( The Jungle Cruise was the best Ride closely followed by the Go Cart Car Ride) , and if you wanted to pull shit you did it on Tom Sawyer Island in the Rock Caves

I didn’t see JFK get shot, but I did see Oswald get shot

You're the guy in the back without the hat!!
Always wondered who that was!

The Submarine Ride was epic ( The Jungle Cruise was the best Ride closely followed by the Go Cart Car Ride) , and if you wanted to pull shit you did it on Tom Sawyer Island in the Rock Caves

Oh those caves, I remember them well. Me and Becky, mmmmmmmmm!

Not sure if it's still there, but I remember it well, it was one of their early animatronics exhibits. Probably around 1967 when I first saw it.

Today's Disney, however, sees Lincoln as no hero, and instead they are teaching kids that "slaves built this country".
In this putrid cartoon where the characters chant "slaves built this country" they also take a shot at Lincoln.

By the way, spare us the arguments about whether or not Lincoln fought the war to free the slaves or not.
The truth is, Lincoln's primary goal at the start of the war was to 'preserve the Union'.
Later, during the war, Lincoln did indeed desire to fight to end slavery.

Woke Disney sparks outrage with new kids cartoon that claims America was 'built on slavery' - as it pushes reparations and says Lincoln had no desire to liberate the enslaved​

Lincoln had slaves. He must be cancelled.

Forum List

Back