Reloading.

That Dillon looks comparable to the Hornady.

Read more to justify the purchase but you won't go wrong with either one. Personally I feel Dillon is more bang for the buck. But I'd use either. I'm setting up a new reloading room once I am finally done moving in a couple weeks.

Oh I'll be researching for at least another month before I pull the trigger,I want a complete understanding of how it works before I make a decision. I have a habit of jumping in on hobbies before I fully know whats going on and I dont want to waste a bunch of money on bad decisions.
My reload station will be in the garage since I dont smoke in the house. I'll of course keep all my stuff that can be affected by humidity in the house until I'm ready to use it.
I do have a gun room in the house where I keep all my firearm related stuff in a controlled temp and humidity but I wanna be able to sit back and enjoy a cigar during the process.

Oh I'll be researching for at least another month before I pull the trigger,I want a complete understanding of how it works before I make a decision. I have a habit of jumping in on hobbies before I fully know whats going on and I dont want to waste a bunch of money on bad decisions.
My reload station will be in the garage since I dont smoke in the house. I'll of course keep all my stuff that can be affected by humidity in the house until I'm ready to use it.
I do have a gun room in the house where I keep all my firearm related stuff in a controlled temp and humidity but I wanna be able to sit back and enjoy a cigar during the process.

I don't smoke in the house either. Reload room will be in the basement, sharing a place with Ham radio gear. It can be humid. I'll have to keep a check on that.

It's going to cost some money by the time your all set up.

I don't smoke in the house either. Reload room will be in the basement, sharing a place with Ham radio gear. It can be humid. I'll have to keep a check on that.

It's going to cost some money by the time your all set up.

I'm guessing a couple grand to get started.
That sound about right?

That sound about right?

Spend that you will be very well set up. Honestly, look more into Dillon. Others been around longer but he came along as just an engineer type saw a need and designed very nice equipment and it's all way over engineered. Same as you mentioned on the hornady the dillon has primer, bullet, case feed for the same and very good stuff.

I still use single stage stuff. If I was still competing, shot 5-6 days a week as I did, I'd have Dillon everything.

That sound about right?

Spend that you will be very well set up. Honestly, look more into Dillon. Others been around longer but he came along as just an engineer type saw a need and designed very nice equipment and it's all way over engineered. Same as you mentioned on the hornady the dillon has primer, bullet, case feed for the same and very good stuff.

I still use single stage stuff. If I was still competing, shot 5-6 days a week as I did, I'd have Dillon everything.

If I was shooting long distance as a hobby or for hunting I'd load my big caliber rounds with a single stage since I wont need hundreds of rounds. And if I get our new property that I'm looking at I'll do that for sure. I plan on a new .338 Lapua in the near future where that will become an imperative.
As I said,I'm still researching the progressive loader for my loads that I plan on running shit loads of ammo through.
I'll definitely look at Dillon more closely.

Good, I been reloading 45 years. If I was going to buy a progressive, it would be a Dillon hands down. For single stage, the big names are all rock solid buys, just slower. Long range 338 may want a Rockchucker or similar. Spitting out 556, Dillon. I used to compete, practiced 5 days a week and still got by with a single stage but it wasn't about numbers. I'd take 50 rounds and make them count. Want to shoot alot? PROGRESSIVE! Dillon also has a great monthly catalog

Welp,just ordered the RL550c with all the extras for $851.
Added all the dies I'm going to use the most,.380ACP,.45ACP,.40SW of which I bought three sets so I can leave them set up in the tool heads so it's easy to switch from .40 to 10mm to 10mm Magnum. So six tool heads so there's no resetting em every time,you just change out the tool head and off you go.
And of course 5.56
Also got the Dillon CV2001 brass cleaner,the case trimmer for the 5.56,powder scale,case
lube and the polishing material for the brass cleaner.
For a grand total of $2653 dollars.
Thinking back on how much I've spent on ammo over the years it'll bring down my costs substantially in the long run.
1609188939227.png

Great machine! I also use heads for the dies, very convenient. Once the die is set and locked in it stays all ready. You'll add little things as you need them.

Thinking about getting a couple extra primer tubes so I dont have to reload em every 100 rounds.
Now if I can just find some reload supplies.

Primers are one of the nastiest things to work with, pain in the ass! You'll also get a great booklet/newsletter "blue press" Fine models throughout.

I found some at an out of the way sports shop last drought. I also found a seller on gunbroker I got every powder I wanted reasonable. Can't remember his name. Bullets will be easy. I cast some, I gt 500 boxes from places like "Denver Bullet" Page Title site down temp but they have nice hard cast lead, sized and lubed. I'm sure you know, never a lead bullet in a glock, the polygon rifling strips lead then you get a "glockaboom"

Great machine! I also use heads for the dies, very convenient. Once the die is set and locked in it stays all ready. You'll add little things as you need them.

Thinking about getting a couple extra primer tubes so I dont have to reload em every 100 rounds.
Now if I can just find some reload supplies.

Primers are one of the nastiest things to work with, pain in the ass! You'll also get a great booklet/newsletter "blue press" Fine models throughout.

I found some at an out of the way sports shop last drought. I also found a seller on gunbroker I got every powder I wanted reasonable. Can't remember his name. Bullets will be easy. I cast some, I gt 500 boxes from places like "Denver Bullet" Page Title site down temp but they have nice hard cast lead, sized and lubed. I'm sure you know, never a lead bullet in a glock, the polygon rifling strips lead then you get a "glockaboom"

Good to know if I ever get a glock.
Not really all that big on em myself.

They are nice but don't work for me. Grip angle is off, used to 1911's too much. I shot much competition and scored 1-3rd place every event. Popped in one once without my 45 and a guy loaned me his glock, Shotting instinctive I was 2-3 feet high every shot. Then a guy loaned me his 1911 I cleaned the clock.

Not only is a Glock a good firearm look what it did to the plactic era. After Glocks we got all kinds of sythetics. Not a bad thing realy. I like my Springfield XDS in 45 very much. Got a plastic Keltec PF9 been carrying in warm weather 16 years now, never a fail. Ever The XDS in 45 is more comfortable to shoot than the keltec 9 BTW

They are nice but don't work for me. Grip angle is off, used to 1911's too much. I shot much competition and scored 1-3rd place every event. Popped in one once without my 45 and a guy loaned me his glock, Shotting instinctive I was 2-3 feet high every shot. Then a guy loaned me his 1911 I cleaned the clock.

Not only is a Glock a good firearm look what it did to the plactic era. After Glocks we got all kinds of sythetics. Not a bad thing realy. I like my Springfield XDS in 45 very much. Got a plastic Keltec PF9 been carrying in warm weather 16 years now, never a fail. Ever The XDS in 45 is more comfortable to shoot than the keltec 9 BTW

I love my FNX .45 Tactical.
It points naturally to me even with the Trijicon RMR,it comes right up and into my sight line without even trying.
52DE9796-4C30-4BC3-B1CF-01D3E0457F93_1_201_a.jpeg

Got my Dillon press today!!!
Still waiting on several dies and my brass polisher but for the most part I'm set!!!!
Of course the search for reload supplies is about to start.
I'm looking for a local place here in Houston that can deal with all my needs even if I have to wait a bit.
Already have multiple places that I'm waiting for to send ammo that I've already paid for.
Double tap still owes me twenty boxes of 10mm Mag.

It points naturally to me even with the Trijicon RMR,it comes right up and into my sight line without even trying.
View attachment 436594

Haven't tried the FNX yet but grip angle looks right. Grip angle on the LCP kinda tp 90ish. Wife has one in 9mm, I can target shoot it well. Like that the FNX is already threaded too. Need a good host, looking at two more suppressors, maybe 3.

Still waiting on several dies and my brass polisher but for the most part I'm set!!!!
I'm looking for a local place here in Houston that can deal with all my needs even if I have to wait a bit.
Already have multiple places that I'm waiting for to send ammo that I've already paid for.
Cool! Way overbuilt aren't they.

View attachment 436594

Haven't tried the FNX yet but grip angle looks right. Grip angle on the LCP kinda tp 90ish. Wife has one in 9mm, I can target shoot it well. Like that the FNX is already threaded too. Need a good host, looking at two more suppressors, maybe 3.

The little LCP is amazingly easy to shoot!!!
Hitting four inch steel at 50 ft is child's play!!

View attachment 436594

I've been thinking about breaking down and applying for a suppressor license.
If I do I'll be getting the Osprey.
Hickock 45 gives a good showing of the combo.

Cool! Way overbuilt aren't they.

It looks beefy as hell!!
Still waiting on the mount so I wont be reloading just yet.
I was happy to get the 5.56 dies since I have a good 800 casings ready to be cleaned and loaded.

Forum List

Back