Religious people seem to have more bias in these debates.

Faith is belief with no evidence that your belief is in actuality true or not.

You can have faith that Aliens will descend to earth in a mother ship to take you away to planet Gorp.

It doesn't mean they will
I'm not going to wait around for a mother ship. My faith is in what is here Today. Tomorrow. Yesterday. That is why your analogy of fails.

it isn't an analogy.

It's an example of using the word faith as it is defined in the dictionary.

Faith is belief without proof that your beliefs are actually true or not.
You don't need faith, just go outside to see God is real.

I don't see that when I go outside.

I see much beauty and much ugliness and choose to revel in the beauty and not dwell on the ugliness. I see no need to believe some god is responsible for it.
Something's you can't explain the love of a woman, the laughter of a child, people reaching out to you when you need it the most

Love is completely explainable. I know why I love my wife.

The difference is religious people seem to need their religion. If they were confronted with proof that their God isn't real I think a lot of them would be very broken on a spiritual and emotional level.
That which is not physical is not able be proven nor disproven because it is not of the physical realm. The second part is interesting. How many people do you imagine are already broken on a spiritual and emotional level? Are you imagining many of these would be spiritually and emotionally healed if they took up religion? The reason I ask is it seems you already accept there is power in having faith in God? I find that interesting.

Some of my family members were/are atheists; I am married to an atheist. While this is a small sample, there is one thing I notice between family members who are atheists and those who have faith. 'My' atheists have expectations of God and what He can do and those expectations are not met. They tested God and He failed. Think about this for a moment because the Commandment states, You shall not test the Lord your God. It is an interesting Commandment. To me it is a heads up that in seeking God, testing Him is a sure way to fail in finding Him.

People of faith seek God, get to know Him both by what He does do and what He does not do. We have the Bible from ancient times that note people's experiences with God. In modern times we have accounts of near death experiences, experiences with both angels and with God, visions of Mary. What people of faith mostly have is the Spirit working with their own spirit to make the best version of oneself and also be a guide through our personal life.

My advice for those truly interested in God is to seek Him without testing Him. The stories of others' experience (both great and small) are interesting and encouraging. But they don't hold a candle to what one's own story and experiences can be.

I'm not actually an atheist anymore. Somewhere along the line I decided I was being arrogant by having an opinion that God doesn't exist. I don't think religion is necessary for spiritual and emotional harmony, but I do recognize how much it helps a lot of people with that. Some of the seemingly happiest people I've ever met were deeply religious, though I've met some seriously twisted religious people too. I think having rules and guidelines that explain the universe just makes a lot of people a lot more comfortable. From my view it gives them a sense of control over their universe. Order makes more sense to people than chaos.
I fought the idea of God for a long time, and I looked back at my life and realize it wasn't luck

You can have faith that Aliens will descend to earth in a mother ship to take you away to planet Gorp.

I'm not going to wait around for a mother ship. My faith is in what is here Today. Tomorrow. Yesterday. That is why your analogy of fails.

it isn't an analogy.

I see much beauty and much ugliness and choose to revel in the beauty and not dwell on the ugliness. I see no need to believe some god is responsible for it.
Something's you can't explain the love of a woman, the laughter of a child, people reaching out to you when you need it the most

But why does your wife love you?

it isn't an analogy.

She has told me why and I believe her because I have years worth of evidence that she is an honest, loyal and trustworthy person.

it isn't an analogy.

She has told me why and I believe her because I have years worth of evidence that she is an honest, loyal and trustworthy person.
What is love? It comes from Jesus if you read your bible

it isn't an analogy.

No it doesn't.

Religion is personal and those that are religious can't help but inject emotion into the debate. Many take any questioning of their religion or the god they believe in as a personal attack which is why religious discussions tend to devolve
The government is the lefts god. Which is why they are all so unhinged when things don’t go their way.

Like they say, "When someone has nothing to believe in, they'll believe anything."

so your only options are to believe in some god or believe in nothing?

In case you haven't heard, there is only one God.

28 Biblical Passages Which Explicitly Teach There is Only One God

That's your belief.

I mean the Bible is hardly a good source for that since the purpose of the bible is to promote a monotheistic religion.

Did Mohamed, Buddha, Krishna, the Flying Spagetti Monster, etc. ever raise anyone from the dead? Did they heal any sick people? Did they perform any miracles like feeding the multitude, changing water into wine, casting out unclean spirits, causing a storm to be stilled, walking on water, giving the blind sight and the dumb the ability to speak, or many of the other things He did? Were those other so-called "deities" so rejected and hated by the powers that were, that they were killed and rose from the dead after three days?

Was the birth, life, death and resurrection predicted of any of those other "gods" 1,000 years before they were born? The entire Old testament is a prophesy of the coming of the Christ, and those books were written way before the New Testament.

There is no proof any any of those things.

But I did once see a doctor bring a person back to life after his heart stopped for 3 minutes.

But tell me why don't Jews believe that OT came true?

Obviously not everyone believes what you do.

And Buddha never claimed to be anything but a mortal man so you really can't include him in your list of magical beings

Of course you see no proof to those things, silly. You've already said that you see no purpose in faith.

There is no good reason to believe in anything without evidence that it is true.

The Biblical definition of faith is "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Can you see air, or gravity, or electricity? Of course not. But like faith, there is more than substantial evidence that they do exist.

and right under that is belief not based on proof.
I understand. You are confined to what is physical.

There is no proof of anything else.
Your eyes is proof of god

No they are not.

My eyes are sensory organs that transmit electrical impulses to my visual cortex which my brain then interprets as light.

The eyes are perfect and science doesn't understand how

Religion is personal and those that are religious can't help but inject emotion into the debate. Many take any questioning of their religion or the god they believe in as a personal attack which is why religious discussions tend to devolve
The government is the lefts god. Which is why they are all so unhinged when things don’t go their way.

Like they say, "When someone has nothing to believe in, they'll believe anything."

That's your belief.

I mean the Bible is hardly a good source for that since the purpose of the bible is to promote a monotheistic religion.

Did Mohamed, Buddha, Krishna, the Flying Spagetti Monster, etc. ever raise anyone from the dead? Did they heal any sick people? Did they perform any miracles like feeding the multitude, changing water into wine, casting out unclean spirits, causing a storm to be stilled, walking on water, giving the blind sight and the dumb the ability to speak, or many of the other things He did? Were those other so-called "deities" so rejected and hated by the powers that were, that they were killed and rose from the dead after three days?

Was the birth, life, death and resurrection predicted of any of those other "gods" 1,000 years before they were born? The entire Old testament is a prophesy of the coming of the Christ, and those books were written way before the New Testament.

But I did once see a doctor bring a person back to life after his heart stopped for 3 minutes.

And Buddha never claimed to be anything but a mortal man so you really can't include him in your list of magical beings

Of course you see no proof to those things, silly. You've already said that you see no purpose in faith.

There is no good reason to believe in anything without evidence that it is true.

The Biblical definition of faith is "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Can you see air, or gravity, or electricity? Of course not. But like faith, there is more than substantial evidence that they do exist.
Jeremiah 29:13

Some of the seemingly happiest people I've ever met were deeply religious, though I've met some seriously twisted religious people too.
Yes, we find that in everything. We meet some truly talented artists; some are "oh, my". I've known some truly great builders and some whose work makes me cringe. And so on. There is not one thing here on earth we can either do well with--or do miserably with. Along with this, people, like containers, hold different capacities. A thimble can be just as full as a large oak wine vat--it is the amounts that differ. None of us should be expected to be cookie stamps of others. We cannot even expect that what works for the great majority will work for all.

Keep in mind, that is the same kind of reasoning behind why Columbus (and other sailors) should never have left land; why astronauts should not have gone into space. In your mind, staying with what is physical is where to settle. Many of us want to continue exploring that which is beyond the physical. Do you discourage other types of exploring?

I just think it doesn't matter how we got here and that what we do and how we comport ourselves while we are alive is what really matters.
Just because you are happy with the limitations/boundaries you have set for yourself does not mean they work for all. Some of us are more daring. ;)

it isn't an analogy.

He used to be my best friend, everywhere I went he'd go with me.

That's your belief.

Which isn't really any different than the dictionary definition.

With air I can observe it's physical properties and I can predict what the gases that comprise what we call air will do with great reliability.

Gravity can be measured and we know what causes the force of gravity and we can predict what exactly the force of gravity will be on other planets by calculating the mass of those planets.

We define electricity as the movement of electrons and we can once again predict the flow of those electrons through various substances.

And there is no faith required to believe any any of the above because we have centuries of evidence and untold numbers of experiments.

Forum List

Back