Religion and mental illness

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv9_YOL38MM]He's a Mutant! Scene - Waterworld Movie (1995) - HD - YouTube[/ame]

The "law of karma" is just common sense. Actions have consequences. What goes around, comes around.

Religion and mental illness

Well GOD said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe said, "Man! you must be putting me on"
God said, "No," and
Abe said "BWHA?"
And God said, "You can do whatcha want Abe, but..
The next time you see me coming,
You better start to run."

Religions are crazy?

Say it ain't so!

The belief is that the prevalence of schizophrenia throughout history is about 1%. That means 1 out of every 100 people are schizophrenic.

Psychiatrists love to provoke impressionable medical students by telling the story of "Legion" who was cast out by his village because he was commanded by demonic voices.

Then Jesus cured him, put the demons into a herd of swine and the swine ran off the cliff.

Psychiatrists love to point out that "Legion" was most likely schizophrenic.

Whether you agree with that or not is a matter of personal faith. However, it's interesting to contemplate.

Psychosis has always been among us. How did society explain psychosis before modern Medical Science got a grip on it?

Possessions, delusions, mania have all changed our society. Martin Luther translated the bible into German in 8 days. Do you suppose he might have been manic? Could a normal person do that?

Further interesting: All delusions are time relevant. In biblical times hallucinations or delusions were centered around religion as that was the way man described everything to include the creation of the cosmos and life.

Mothern delusions and hallucinations often still involve religion, but the majority of them seem to be based around governmental agencies and technology. "The CIA controls my thoughts through a microchip they implanted in my spine."

If there was an account of someone in bibilical times claiming to be controlled by some secret agency through a "microchip like" device inmplanted into them, that would certainly be interested.

However, since ultimately delusions and hallucinations are produced by the schizophrenic mind, it would be impossible for someone to create an impression of something that didn't exist yet.

The Causes of Mental Illness are as follows:

What Biological Factors Are Involved in Mental Illness?

Some mental illnesses have been linked to an abnormal balance of special chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters help nerve cells in the brain communicate with each other. If these chemicals are out of balance or are not working properly, messages may not make it through the brain correctly, leading to symptoms of mental illness. In addition, defects in or injury to certain areas of the brain have also been linked to some mental conditions.
Other biological factors that may be involved in the development of mental illness include:

• Genetics (heredity): Many mental illnesses run in families, suggesting that people who have a family member with a mental illness are more likely to develop a mental illness. Susceptibility is passed on in families through genes. Experts believe many mental illnesses are linked to abnormalities in many genes -- not just one. That is why a person inherits a susceptibility to a mental illness and doesn't necessarily develop the illness. Mental illness itself occurs from the interaction of multiple genes and other factors --such as stress, abuse, or a traumatic event -- which can influence, or trigger, an illness in a person who has an inherited susceptibility to it.
  • Infections: Certain infections have been linked to brain damage and the development of mental illness or the worsening of its symptoms. For example, a condition known as pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorder (PANDA) associated with the Streptococcus bacteria has been linked to the development of obsessive-compulsive disorder and other mental illnesses in children.
  • Brain defects or injury: Defects in or injury to certain areas of the brain have also been linked to some mental illnesses.
  • Prenatal damage: Some evidence suggests that a disruption of early fetal brain development or trauma that occurs at the time of birth -- for example, loss of oxygen to the brain -- may be a factor in the development of certain conditions, such as autism.
  • Substance abuse: Long-term substance abuse, in particular, has been linked to anxiety, depression, and paranoia.
  • Other factors: Poor nutrition and exposure to toxins, such as lead, may play a role in the development of mental illnesses.
What Psychological Factors Contribute to Mental Illness?

Psychological factors that may contribute to mental illness include:

• Severe psychological trauma suffered as a child, such as emotional, physical, or sexual abuse
  • An important early loss, such as the loss of a parent
  • Neglect
  • Poor ability to relate to others
What Environmental Factors Contribute to Mental Illness?

Certain stressors can trigger an illness in a person who is susceptible to mental illness. These stressors include:

• Death or divorce
  • A dysfunctional family life
  • Living in poverty
  • Feelings of inadequacy, low self-esteem, anxiety, anger, or loneliness
  • Changing jobs or schools
  • Social or cultural expectations (For example, a society that associates beauty with thinness can be a factor in the development of eating disorders.)
  • Substance abuse by the person or the person's parents

The Causes of Mental Illness Web MD

That doesn't sound like religion to me.

Oh yup, I'm just a crazy woman. All those church buildings you see; all the people that go to them, they are all crazy; have mental illnesses. All those charity organizations with Christian affliations - all the people are just crazy. All the people who are affliated with:

World Relief
World Vision
Salvation Army
Operation Blessing
Blessings International
Christian Blind Mission
Gideons International
Christian Disaster Relief
Food for the Hungry
Mission of Mercy
Christian Word Adoption
Christian Freedom International

..yup...are all crazy. Yes, it must be all of these all have mental illnesses because of their religion.

It's one thing to be "antiChrist"; it's quite another to call those who believe in Christ, crazy. If that makes you feel better about not understanding people's faith or fearing them, then so be it.

Who said they were all crazy?

Some of the finest people I know are true Christians.
Many that I know just use religion to justify their other earthly beliefs and wants.
And religion does feed upon the mental instability of a minority of people.

freedombecki said:
That doesn't sound like religion to me.
so you can add to this list religion, then it will sound

Marie888 said:
All those church buildings you see; all the people that go to them, they are all crazy
on basing of OP, yup

Forum List

Back