Red Cross Bans Christmas

Christmas has been banned by the Red Cross from its 430 fund-raising shops.

Staff have been ordered to take down decorations and to remove any other signs of the Christian festival because they could offend Moslems.

The charity's politically-correct move triggered an avalanche of criticism and mockery last night - from Christians and Moslems.

Christine Banks, a volunteer at a Red Cross shop in New Romney, Kent, said: 'We put up a nativity scene in the window and were told to take it out. It seems we can't have anything that means Christmas. We're allowed to have some tinsel but that's it.

'When we send cards they have to say season's greetings or best wishes. They must not be linked directly to Christmas.

'When we asked we were told it is because we must not upset Moslems.'

Mrs Banks added: ' We have been instructed that we can't say anything about Christmas and we certainly can't have a Christmas tree.

' I think the policy is offensive to Moslems as well as to us. No reasonable person can object to Christians celebrating Christmas. But we are not supposed to show any sign of Christianity at all.'

Labour peer Lord Ahmed, one of the country's most prominent Moslem politicians, said: 'It is stupid to think Moslems would be offended.

Read more: The Red Cross bans Christmas | Mail Online

It's a good thing this isn't the American Red Cross. They rely on donations from those offensive pro-Christmas people.

What on earth is the point of regurgitating an eight year old article which, incidentally, was debunked at the time! A giveaway to how dated this article is, is the reference to Sangatte refugee camp...It closed in 2002! Furthermore, if you type the headline into the the Mail's search facility it produces the listed article with a date of 21st December 2002!

Maybe the Red Cross should take out the cross from it's logo lest it offend anyone who isn't a Christian.

That's a good point.
It's called the Red Cross; not the Red Crucifix :doubt:

Yeah, right.

No, actually I was kidding.

Yeah, wrong.

It's a RED CROSS for the same reason its sister organization is called the RED CRESENT

red_cresent.jpg

• The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) was founded in 1919 and today it coordinates activities between the 186 National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies within the Movement. On an international level, the Federation leads and organizes, in close cooperation with the National Societies, relief assistance missions responding to large-scale emergencies. The International Federation Secretariat is based in Geneva, Switzerland. In 1963, the Federation (then known as the League of Red Cross Societies) was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize jointly with the ICRC.[2]
  • National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies exist in nearly every country in the world. Currently 186 National Societies are recognized by the ICRC and admitted as full members of the Federation. Each entity works in its home country according to the principles of international humanitarian law and the statutes of the international Movement. Depending on their specific circumstances and capacities, National Societies can take on additional humanitarian tasks that are not directly defined by international humanitarian law or the mandates of the international Movement. In many countries, they are tightly linked to the respective national health care system by providing emergency medical services.
source

Staff have been ordered to take down decorations and to remove any other signs of the Christian festival because they could offend Moslems.

The charity's politically-correct move triggered an avalanche of criticism and mockery last night - from Christians and Moslems.

Christine Banks, a volunteer at a Red Cross shop in New Romney, Kent, said: 'We put up a nativity scene in the window and were told to take it out. It seems we can't have anything that means Christmas. We're allowed to have some tinsel but that's it.

'When we send cards they have to say season's greetings or best wishes. They must not be linked directly to Christmas.

Mrs Banks added: ' We have been instructed that we can't say anything about Christmas and we certainly can't have a Christmas tree.

' I think the policy is offensive to Moslems as well as to us. No reasonable person can object to Christians celebrating Christmas. But we are not supposed to show any sign of Christianity at all.'

Labour peer Lord Ahmed, one of the country's most prominent Moslem politicians, said: 'It is stupid to think Moslems would be offended.

It's a good thing this isn't the American Red Cross. They rely on donations from those offensive pro-Christmas people.

What on earth is the point of regurgitating an eight year old article which, incidentally, was debunked at the time! A giveaway to how dated this article is, is the reference to Sangatte refugee camp...It closed in 2002! Furthermore, if you type the headline into the the Mail's search facility it produces the listed article with a date of 21st December 2002!

It doesn't matter how old the article is or whether it was debunked. The problem is in the continual deception regarding all the "good deeds" they claim to do at no expense to the recipients.

Colin - this is the date of the article: Sunday, Dec 19 2010 12PM 0°C 3PM -1°

The rumor was reported in the Examiner, the Gateway Pundit, Moonbattery, etc. Apparently a volunteer was asked to remove a nativity scene. That part may be true.

Last edited:

Colin - this is the date of the article: Sunday, Dec 19 2010 12PM 0°C 3PM -1°

The rumor was reported in the Examiner, the Gateway Pundit, Moonbattery, etc. Apparently a volunteer was asked to remove a nativity scene. That part may be true.

It is an article first published in the Mail on 21st December 2002. If you access the archived article it will display it with the current day's date. Whoever started this is simply being mischievous. Those media following it up as a current situation simply show their ignorance, since any self respecting journo should know that Sangatte was closed in 2002! Wait a minute...that was a rather silly statement. Since when have journos relied on the truth to get a story!

Well I've never heard of it. But I've never claimed to be a journo. Those are fairly mainstream sites. It cracks me up that they spend more time fact checking Willow Palin's facebook than they do the
Red Cross. Priorities I suppose. lol

I posted that information, too, yet no one seems to care. They want to believe that the British Red Cross is evil and apparently can't be bothered to consider the facts.

This kind of thing happens on threads all the time and it always amazes me.

The RED cross does NOT depend on charity to do its duty, folks.

Check out its IRS 990 if you doubt that.

Mostly it is a not for profit organziation that is paid by governments to provide the services it does.

If you gave it blood, good for you, but KNOW that it SELLS that blood at a profit.

I did not know that editec. And I'm getting very annoyed at the constant phone calls I get to donate. My son and I have O- blood, which they need. I've told them a dozen times that he is away at college, but no one puts that note in his file. I give twice a year and that's plenty. Yet they still call every month. Now I know why. Sheez.

All blood suppliers are nonprofits, and the prices they charge follow the cost of production. Personnel costs make up half the price hospitals pay "at the pump"—labor can be very expensive, since staffers must be brought on to recruit donors, collect their blood, and then process it and test it for contamination. The cost of the testing procedures themselves contributes about 25 percent to the final price of blood. Most of the rest goes to administrative overhead—rent payments for buildings that house the blood centers, for example. (Most blood banks also mark up a few percent extra so they can keep a little cash on hand.)

We’ve been seeing a lot of comments about the story in the Daily Mail about the British Red Cross’ alleged ban on Christmas. This story is erroneous – you can read the full explanation on the British Red Cross blog. Here is the official American Red Cross statement on the matter:

"The American Red Cross has been receiving calls and inquiries about erroneous allegations concerning a “ban on Christmas” that are based on an eight-year-old story about the British Red Cross. Unfortunately, this 2002 story is circulating again on the Internet, causing some people to think it is a new development and prompting questions about the American Red Cross policy regarding holiday decorations in its facilities. The American Red Cross does not ban seasonal or religious décor in its facilities. In fact, in many Red Cross buildings this holiday season, visitors will see Christmas trees and menorahs along with items such Kwanzaa candles, wreaths, bows, garlands and other seasonal decor. While the neutrality of our organization does not allow the Red Cross to promote any specific religious belief, we welcome all of the celebrations of the season."

IMG00266-20101217-1328-1024x768.jpg

The image above is taken from the lobby of the American Red Cross headquarters in Washington, DC. Happy Holidays!
http://www.redcross.org/

I have to say this about the Red Cross. In 2006 the town I live in had major flooding, we're talking a third of the town under water. There was no running water for a week, no electricity, roads and bridges wiped out, major employers out of operation for weeks (including mine). Those whose homes weren't inundated had raw sewage backups into their houses. We were evacuated - our home wasn't flooded but all roads leading to it were cut off and it stood on a island for three days till the water went down. There hadn't been anything like it here since 1972.

Guess who was there, the only people there I might add, with everything from food, ice and water to cleaning supplies to medicine, all free of charge? The volunteers were out stopping people on the street asking them what they needed and handing over whatever they had. There would have been a lot more misery here and in many little hamlets around us if they hadn't been here.

Red Cross does a lot more than disaster assistance, of course. As an organization run by humans they're not perfect, nothing run by people ever will be. But I have great respect for what they do, even more after seeing it first hand. And if they are seen by any government or faction as taking sides in any way, they wouldn't have the access they do or be able to provide what they provide to the people who need it. It's really that simple. They have to be strictly, completely neutral to do their job.

If that means some volunteer 8 years ago worked up a snit over not being able to put up a Christian-specific decoration in a window, so be it. There are things far more important.

I did not know that editec. And I'm getting very annoyed at the constant phone calls I get to donate. My son and I have O- blood, which they need. I've told them a dozen times that he is away at college, but no one puts that note in his file. I give twice a year and that's plenty. Yet they still call every month. Now I know why. Sheez.

Yes they sell it at what they call their "break-even cost".

Nice work if you can get it.

GEt the blood for free from good samaritans, then impose highly dubious expenses on it for processing it such that it pays the salaries of very well paid people, as it is purchased by other hospitals.

My point isn't to slam the RED CROSS, it's more to alert yoiu gusy to fact that it is a very profitable NOT for profit.

If you doubt me TAKE A LOOK at its 2007 form 990 tax returns.

I'm not saying its illegal, or unethical, either.

Merely that its a VERY WELL FUNDED not for profit that makes one hell of a lot of money doing what it does for a FEE, one usually paid for by governments.

The crescent is a symbol of Islam.
Yep, you are correct from what I have since read about it.

That doesn't mean either way that the Red Cross is meant to symbolize Christianity.

This is exactly my prob..... you guys are bickering about the "symblism" of their logo.... They could just come out and dispell the rumors and just say..."yes, it represents the christian cross", b/c what else does a "cross" represent?

The crescent is "Islamic", and the cross is "christian".... plain and simple.

This is the PC bullshit I hate....

I just do my best charity work when I give to individuals... not organizations that are always wrapped in controversy. That includes The United Way.

We’ve been seeing a lot of comments about the story in the Daily Mail about the British Red Cross’ alleged ban on Christmas. This story is erroneous – you can read the full explanation on the British Red Cross blog. Here is the official American Red Cross statement on the matter:

"The American Red Cross has been receiving calls and inquiries about erroneous allegations concerning a “ban on Christmas” that are based on an eight-year-old story about the British Red Cross. Unfortunately, this 2002 story is circulating again on the Internet, causing some people to think it is a new development and prompting questions about the American Red Cross policy regarding holiday decorations in its facilities. The American Red Cross does not ban seasonal or religious décor in its facilities. In fact, in many Red Cross buildings this holiday season, visitors will see Christmas trees and menorahs along with items such Kwanzaa candles, wreaths, bows, garlands and other seasonal decor. While the neutrality of our organization does not allow the Red Cross to promote any specific religious belief, we welcome all of the celebrations of the season."

The image above is taken from the lobby of the American Red Cross headquarters in Washington, DC. Happy Holidays!

:clap2:

Thanks Val... that does make me feel a bit better than before.

Guess that puts the OP to rest.

The crescent is a symbol of Islam.
Yep, you are correct from what I have since read about it.

That doesn't mean either way that the Red Cross is meant to symbolize Christianity.

This is exactly my prob..... you guys are bickering about the "symblism" of their logo.... They could just come out and dispell the rumors and just say..."yes, it represents the christian cross", b/c what else does a "cross" represent?

The crescent is "Islamic", and the cross is "christian".... plain and simple.

This is the PC bullshit I hate....

I just do my best charity work when I give to individuals... not organizations that are always wrapped in controversy. That includes The United Way.
:confused: Wouldn't the truth be better than PC bullshit? I have no idea if the cross was chosen for religious reasons. The guy that started up the Red Cross apparently based the symbol on the Swiss flag. Maybe because he was Swiss?

Bunch of fucking retards.

Thank Ravi...She said the same on page one. :lol:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/europe/146905-red-cross-bans-christmas.html#post3102311

Thank Ravi...She said the same on page one. :lol:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/europe/146905-red-cross-bans- christmas.html#post3102311

Well I will certainly do that... :cool:

And as for the cross... even if its from the Swiss flag, what did they get it from.

My point is, what other thing could a "cross" represent?
As far as I know no-one else died on a cross for my sins (and there are alot of sins to wash away :tongue: )

Really, its a silly debate to me, and more examples of PC run amuck.

Forum List

Back