Recall of Brock Turner judge succeeds: Voters oust Aaron Persky for sentence in sexual assault case

Did you agree with Judge Persky's sentence in this case

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Recall: Voters oust Judge Aaron Persky after Brock Turner case

The judge whose controversial sentence in a sexual assault case sparked national outrage was booted out of office Tuesday, the first sitting judge to be removed from office in California in nearly a century.

Judge Aaron Persky became the target of a well-financed recall campaign aimed at convincing Santa Clara County voters to unseat him after he sentenced former Stanford swimmer Brock Turner to six months in jail for the sexual assault of an intoxicated, unconscious woman outside a campus frat party.

Stanford law professor Michele Dauber, who led the recall campaign, hailed the outcome.

“The vote today — if the numbers hold — is a vote against impunity for high-status offenders of domestic violence and sexual violence,” Dauber said, adding in reference to the victim that, “This victory is not just for Emily Doe, but for girls and women everywhere.”

Recall opponent LaDoris Cordell told KPIX that it was unlikely Persky could catch up. “This is a sad day for the California judiciary,” said Cordell, a former Santa Clara County judge who was active in the campaign against the recall.
I posted about this vote this morning and I mentioned that I believe that much of the outrage has to do with Turner being convicted of 3 felonies yet the sentence was more in line with a misdemeanor conviction (no more than 1 year).

Forum List

Back