Reasons why the "invisible hand" doesn't work in the health care sector

The purpose of this thread is to document reasons why the invisible hand seems to be invisible in the health care sector.

Reason #1 : Health care is extremely inelastic :
The price of a certain procedure can go up and , if it will cure you , you will pay the price. This is specially true in life or death situations.

Here's the error in your reasoning. Unless you need the procedure immediately, you can still shop around. Furthermore, your insurance company can shop around, and you can shop around for insurance.

not to mention that long before you need a high quality car like a Rolls you know Rolls makes a high quality car.

Liberalism is based in pure ignorance.

not to mention that long before you need a high quality car like a Rolls you know Rolls makes a high quality car.

Liberalism is based in pure ignorance.

What I find so amusing about your posts is your endles rant is supported by nothing else but your pre-conceived ideas of how the world actually works.

Say : would the treatment for a Pyoderma gangrenosum on the leg due to Crohn's disease would be a Rolls or a VW ?
How would you know if the diagnostic is correct.
And then how would you know if you're not been over or under prescribed ?

In the health care area your life is at stake , not a car.

In the health care area your life is at stake , not a car.

and thats the very reason why you want competition based on price and quality!! Do you have any idea why quality of soviet goods and services was so low??

We estimate that capitalist health care would cost 20% of current prices and add 10-20 years to our life spans.

How would you know if the diagnostic is correct.

let me guess, there would be a lib Nazi bureaucrat regulating the situation who was much smarter than I and cared far more about my health than I do.

A liberal is a liberal because he lacks the IQ to understand capitalism.

too stupid!! the USSR had about 20% of our standard of living and that was after stealing product designs from us. I guess the regulators didn't regulate too well!!

Hmm.. Baiamonte . To be honest your behaviour makes me think you are not a "real" person but rather a webcrawler/bot. I can't find any other reason for your barely rational answers and complete lack of capacity to produce a web reference to support your claims.

So once more: what is the base for your following claim :

"We estimate that capitalist health care would cost 20% of current prices and add 10-20 years to our life spans."
1.Who is we?
2. How was the 20% figure calculated?
3. How do you calculate that 10 years would be added to the lifespans of Americans, unhealthy eating habits notwithstanding.

"We estimate that capitalist health care would cost 20% of current prices and add 10-20 years to our life spans."

dear, we know things were so expensive in the USSR, Red China, East Germany, Cuba and 132 other liberal countries that the people lived in dire subsistance poverty. I guess each had their own special libturd regulators swarming all over the place but none lifted them out of dire poverty?? Yet our liberals spied for Stalin, gave him the bomb and always want more and more soviet regulation.

Do you understand now?

dear, we know things were so expensive in the USSR, Red China, East Germany, Cuba and 132 other liberal countries that the people lived in dire subsistance poverty. I guess each had their own special libturd regulators swarming all over the place but none lifted them out of dire poverty?? Yet our liberals spied for Stalin, gave him the bomb and always want more and more soviet regulation.

Do you understand now?
Baiamonte,
But then your figures are based on purely anecdotal evidence. Not on a projection of the cost of healthcare before medicare/medicaid and the inflationary rates of health insurance primes, plus rising costs due to an ageing population. You have no evidence to support your figures. How am I supposed to take seriously any of your claims?

Cuba, ah , you really want to meassure the efficiency of their healthcare system ?

The per capita healthcare in cuba is a lot less cheaper than in the usa : 414 USD per capita vs 8,233 that's about 5%, 20 times cheaper !!!
Their infant mortality rate is lower than in the USA.( 4.76 in cuba vs 5.2 in the USA )
Ant their life expectancy is roughly the same ( 79.4 in cuba , vs 79.8 in the USA ).

Yes, it's a poor country with low industrialization indexes, and yet their per capita income is higher than in the country you claim to be the pinacle of republican capitalism: China ( Cuba : 10,200 , China : 9800)
Now all this is backed by references. Whereas your arguments are supported only by absolutely nothing... you actually remind me the Dothraki from "Game of Thrones", all their misconseptions about the world ended with a :
"It is known Khalesi."
No more proof was needed , because it was something every Dothraki gave for certain.

List of countries by GDP PPP per capita - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

List of countries by total health expenditure PPP per capita - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
List of countries by infant mortality rate - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

But then your figures are based on purely anecdotal evidence.]

dear it is not anecdotal that USSR and Russia were slowly starving 120 million to death with
the poverty caused by liberal regulation. Whats wrong with you??

See why we say liberalism is based in pure ignorance?

dear it is not anecdotal that USSR Russia were slowly starving 120 million to death with liberal regulation. Whats wrong with you??
But then your figures are based on purely anecdotal evidence.]

dear it is not anecdotal that USSR Russia were slowly starving 120 million to death with liberal regulation. Whats wrong with you??

See why we say liberalism is based in pure ignorance?
Baiamonte, that's not what I asked at all !! Let me repost my questions :

1.Who is we?
3. How do you calculate that 10 years would be added to the lifespans of Americans, unhealthy eating habits notwithstanding?

I was refering to this sentence --> "We estimate that capitalist health care would cost 20% of current prices and add 10-20 years to our life spans." ... I am starting to feel I am having a discussion with a web-bot.

by looking at what people in USSR Red China East Germany Cuba could afford thanks to liberal regulation.

Do you understand now?

Imagine how stupid you have to be to want to emulate a regulatory failure that slowly starved 120 million to death?

by looking at what people in USSR Red China East Germany Cuba could afford thanks to liberal regulation.

Do you understand now?

Imagine how stupid you have to be to want to emulate a regulatory failure that slowly starved 120 million to death?
"It is known Khaleesi."

Do you understand now?

"It is known Khaleesi."

The purpose of this thread is to document reasons why the invisible hand seems to be invisible in the health care sector.

The price of a certain procedure can go up and , if it will cure you , you will pay the price. This is specially true in life or death situations.

Insurance.

Insurance.

competition. the liberal will not know about competition.

Insurance.

Special Ed. Please.

Insurance.

Special Ed. Please.

competition drives prices lower and lower. Econ 101 dear!!

competition drives prices lower and lower. Econ 101 dear!!

Has it occured to you that insurance works as a buffer which diminishes competition , drives more money into the system and creates inflation ?

Economy 102!

That liberals don't know competition ? WTF. Do you think I work in the public sector ?

The reason is that the invisible hand has been replaced by the very visible hand of government. It's pretty ridiculous to think government can make anything inexpensive. Why need taxes if you are more efficient than the private sector?

Of course, health care costs are decreasing wherever the invisible hand has not been replaced by the hand of father Karl Marx.

Residing in a country with both public and private health care I know that the private sector is a lot more efficient than the public... And in addition there is no line that lasts six months. What is the reason everyone is always comparing the private system in USA to that of a other country. Would it not be more honest to make an apples apples comparison?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back