Real Time with Bill Maher: Middle Class Economics

I have used this several times over the years to illustrate wages vs. inflation in America.
In 1977, my parents bought a 3 bdrm home. and happen to also bought a 1977 Chevy Malibu. My Father earned a little over $10 an hour in a factory.
Price of the home -- $26,000
Price of the 1977 Malibu - $4,500
His wages - $400 a week.

In 2015, that same house where I live will cost you about $110,000
A new 2015 Malibu is about $22,000.
Earnings for a factory worker in this area is about $12 an hour.

Get it?
The point is that the inflation of the 1970s meant prices skyrocketed but wages did not. There's the problem right there.

I have used this several times over the years to illustrate wages vs. inflation in America.
In 1977, my parents bought a 3 bdrm home. and happen to also bought a 1977 Chevy Malibu. My Father earned a little over $10 an hour in a factory.
His wages - $400 a week.

Get it?
Yes We get it you elected democrats,.you did it to yourselve

His wages - $400 a week.

Get it?
Yes We get it you elected democrats,.you did it to yourselve
Its not a Dem/GOP issue. The inflation started under LBJ, increased with Nixon, got going more under Ford, constinued with Carter, and finally was killed by Reagan.

The middle class has been pummeled for decades? You actually buy that crap? The middle class has been pummeled for the last 6 years. Thanks to Democrats' stupid policies. See my thread on Obamanomics.
The Middle Class has been under pressure since the 60's. The extent of the damage wasn't fully realized until 2008. The foundation to our declining Middle Class started crumbling in the 60's, and steadily progressed to the point we're at today. It was in the 60's when we started closing our plants and factories, thus taking away self-supporting opportunities that covered all education and skill levels. We started by closing the steel factories, then we lost the electronics industry ( when was the last America made TV produced? ), then those were soon followed by the textile mills, furniture and appliances, tools, farm equipment, automotive parts, toys, housewares, etc. etc.

Back in the 50's and early 60's, the men went to work and the women stayed home and raised the kids. One income was enough to live the good life. The Middle Class was doing great. Then, as plants and factories closed, the women entered the work force, and their numbers have been growing every since. And, now, two incomes aren't enough to support families in many cases. Steadily, over time, government assistance programs became a necessity in order to supply families with basic needs and necessities.

Once we started closing our plants and factories, taking away the self-supporting opportunities that covered all education and skill levels, the Middle Class was basically doomed. The proof to that statement makes daily headlines. We have 50% of our children living at or below the poverty line. We have 48 million citizens receiving food stamps. We have a growing homeless population. We have shameful unemployment, and employment consist of part-time jobs, temporary jobs, low paying jobs, and jobs with reduced company paid benefits. We have created a poor and dependent society. And, as I have stated, the foundation was laid back in the 60's with the closings of our plants and factories that supported the Middle Class.

Over the past 50 plus years, we've sacrificed our economic well-being in favor of strengthening foreign economies. And, the Middle Class has paid the highest price. Our socioeconomic woes didn't start 6 years ago, they just became front and center 6 years ago. They became more pronounced and damaging. They opened our eyes to the fact that we'd been sold out by the very ones that we entrusted with our well-being. Trace the roots of our economic decline and see what you find. I think that you'll be surprised.
All of these woes you spout can be tied to one single villain.

Government.

I take it your solution is more government?
Yes, the government is responsible. Yes, the government has sold us out. I have no idea as to why you think my solution would be more government. The solution is NOT more government. I have detailed my solution many times on this forum, and did so again this morning on another thread. I give my solution almost every single day on this forum.
What gave you the idea that my solution would be more government? Just curious.
Your detailed solutions have government involvement.

You want to fix the middle class? Get government out of the lives of all Americans.
It's impossible to get government out of our lives. We are under government rule and authority. It's been like that since 1776. And, it's not going to change anytime soon. We're at their mercy.

The middle class has been pummeled for decades? You actually buy that crap? The middle class has been pummeled for the last 6 years. Thanks to Democrats' stupid policies. See my thread on Obamanomics.
The Middle Class has been under pressure since the 60's. The extent of the damage wasn't fully realized until 2008. The foundation to our declining Middle Class started crumbling in the 60's, and steadily progressed to the point we're at today. It was in the 60's when we started closing our plants and factories, thus taking away self-supporting opportunities that covered all education and skill levels. We started by closing the steel factories, then we lost the electronics industry ( when was the last America made TV produced? ), then those were soon followed by the textile mills, furniture and appliances, tools, farm equipment, automotive parts, toys, housewares, etc. etc.

Back in the 50's and early 60's, the men went to work and the women stayed home and raised the kids. One income was enough to live the good life. The Middle Class was doing great. Then, as plants and factories closed, the women entered the work force, and their numbers have been growing every since. And, now, two incomes aren't enough to support families in many cases. Steadily, over time, government assistance programs became a necessity in order to supply families with basic needs and necessities.

Once we started closing our plants and factories, taking away the self-supporting opportunities that covered all education and skill levels, the Middle Class was basically doomed. The proof to that statement makes daily headlines. We have 50% of our children living at or below the poverty line. We have 48 million citizens receiving food stamps. We have a growing homeless population. We have shameful unemployment, and employment consist of part-time jobs, temporary jobs, low paying jobs, and jobs with reduced company paid benefits. We have created a poor and dependent society. And, as I have stated, the foundation was laid back in the 60's with the closings of our plants and factories that supported the Middle Class.

Over the past 50 plus years, we've sacrificed our economic well-being in favor of strengthening foreign economies. And, the Middle Class has paid the highest price. Our socioeconomic woes didn't start 6 years ago, they just became front and center 6 years ago. They became more pronounced and damaging. They opened our eyes to the fact that we'd been sold out by the very ones that we entrusted with our well-being. Trace the roots of our economic decline and see what you find. I think that you'll be surprised.

Government.

Yes, the government is responsible. Yes, the government has sold us out. I have no idea as to why you think my solution would be more government. The solution is NOT more government. I have detailed my solution many times on this forum, and did so again this morning on another thread. I give my solution almost every single day on this forum.

You want to fix the middle class? Get government out of the lives of all Americans.
It's impossible to get government out of our lives. We are under government rule and authority. It's been like that since 1776. And, it's not going to change anytime soon. We're at their mercy.
So because government sets standards on weights and measures that means they get to control what we eat and what health insurance we have? Im not following you here.

His wages - $400 a week.

Get it?
The point is that the inflation of the 1970s meant prices skyrocketed but wages did not. There's the problem right there.
We live in a global economy now, those wages will never ever go back to the 50's

Get used to it.

His wages - $400 a week.

Get it?

Now.....assign blame for that situation accurately and then get right with your politics.

Government.

So because government sets standards on weights and measures that means they get to control what we eat and what health insurance we have? Im not following you here.
Where did you get all of that? I have never mentioned any of that. Nor did I ever imply that. The government sets the rules. We live by government rules. We do not set our own rules. We do what the government says to do. The government runs this country, we don't.

His wages - $400 a week.

Get it?
We live in a global economy now, those wages will never ever go back to the 50's

Get used to it.
Thats probably true. Somewaht irrelevant but true.

I don't know therefore I wanted to ask participants of the forum.
Put America back to work, producing what America uses and consumes. Severely penalize the off-shore out-sourcing of jobs, severely penalize importing labor, and severely penalize anyone hiring or assisting an illegal immigrant. Re-write our unfair, unjust, and one sided foreign trade agreements and policies, so that they become fair, equal, and balance foreign trade agreements and policies. End our dependency on cheap foreign imports. Stop sacrificing our economic well-being in favor of strengthening foreign economies. Put the "Made In U.S.A." label back on store shelves.

Elect pro-America representatives to serve in government. Stop electing and re-electing professional politicians to run this country. Rewind the clock to the 50's and 60's when our plants and factories provided living wage jobs that covered all education and skill levels.

The above will create a strong Middle Class, and provide self-supporting opportunities across the board. As it stands now, we're consumers and not producers. This has created a poor and dependent society, living off of government assistance programs and unemployment checks. The above steps will reverse that trend.
Your a fucking idiot, trade wars never work and you want to pay $5,000 for a t v. or computer?
I have never ever said anything about trade wars, never. And, I certainly don't want to pay $5,000 for a TV. Also, I'm no idiot, thank you. Childish and silly name calling and personal attacks do absolutely nothing to enhance conversation, nor do they help prove a point. Please try to be civil and appear to be adult. Thank you.

Put America back to work, producing what America uses and consumes. Severely penalize the off-shore out-sourcing of jobs, severely penalize importing labor, and severely penalize anyone hiring or assisting an illegal immigrant. Re-write our unfair, unjust, and one sided foreign trade agreements and policies, so that they become fair, equal, and balance foreign trade agreements and policies. End our dependency on cheap foreign imports. Stop sacrificing our economic well-being in favor of strengthening foreign economies. Put the "Made In U.S.A." label back on store shelves.

Elect pro-America representatives to serve in government. Stop electing and re-electing professional politicians to run this country. Rewind the clock to the 50's and 60's when our plants and factories provided living wage jobs that covered all education and skill levels.

The above will create a strong Middle Class, and provide self-supporting opportunities across the board. As it stands now, we're consumers and not producers. This has created a poor and dependent society, living off of government assistance programs and unemployment checks. The above steps will reverse that trend.
Your a fucking idiot, trade wars never work and you want to pay $5,000 for a t v. or computer?
I have never ever said anything about trade wars, never. And, I certainly don't want to pay $5,000 for a TV. Also, I'm no idiot, thank you. Childish and silly name calling and personal attacks do absolutely nothing to enhance conversation, nor do they help prove a point. Please try to be civil and appear to be adult. Thank you.
OK s what do you think the solution is?

Actually, it started with the 'Marshall Plan'.

I have given my solution many times on this forum. I gave it again this morning in another thread. I'll cut and paste it here for your benefit. Basically, it's to put American back to work, producing what America uses and consumes. I'll be back shortly and paste the solution for you. Or, you can check my many comments and you shouldn't have any problem finding it since this subject comes up on this forum almost every single day. Be back shortly.

I have given my solution many times on this forum. I gave it again this morning in another thread. I'll cut and paste it here for your benefit. Basically, it's to put American back to work, producing what America uses and consumes. I'll be back shortly and paste the solution for you. Or, you can check my many comments and you shouldn't have any problem finding it since this subject comes up on this forum almost every single day. Be back shortly.
Already know what your going to post, you can not write laws to dictate morality you should know better

Alright, I will give you respect and Applogize but your wrong

You're such an ignorant piece of shit. Even when you agree with me you're a douche. You must be really butt hurt that I show you up all the time.
You live ina cardboard box outside a cess pool in Kansas. That doesnt count.

I believe that this is Rabbi's way of admitting that his numbers are goat shit that he pulled out of his own ass.
Butt hurt much? You support what I say and still maintain I am wrong. How stupid is that? Now run along.

Actually no, I don't support what you are saying. You are saying that inflation has caused prices to become out of reach, resulting in a two earner household becoming necessary. This is pretty much the opposite of my earlier thread discussing the effect of two income households on wages. Your hypothesis is that inflation has been rampant, thus causing wages to be worth less. That, of course, is absurd because inflating prices cannot occur without increases in personal spending. So, your idea is in fact backwards. Inflation did not necessitate the onset of the two income household. It is the two income household that caused the inflation.

Your hypothesis also fails because you seem to attribute the relative decrease in wage trends to inflation, which (aside from making no sense whatsoever) is entirely different than anything I said. I attribute the relative decrease in wage trends over the past several decades to a reduced sense of urgency and increased apathy in individuals associated with their wages, due to the net increase in income that results from a two income situation.

Well that would be good. But I'm afraid we are too far gone. It's because of this Government and both parties we are in this position.
It's because voters continue to elect and to re-elect professional politicians to run this country. Yet, they expect a different result each election cycle.
[/QUOTE]

I agree about the voters. You're right we have a bunch of elected idiots running our country. I just don't know if we can turn things around. I hope so

Last edited:
His wages - $400 a week.

Get it?

The question is: Why?

It seems to me that housing and cars were under priced back then, and workers were overpaid.

His wages - $400 a week.

Get it?

The question is: Why?

It seems to me that housing and cars were under priced back then, and workers were overpaid.
That Interested me That you would post that

My mom had one.of those cars, you could see the pavement on the rusted out floor board, I used to throw my army men out when she used to drive,

Forum List

Back