Reagan Was A Shitty President

IMO, the greatest president (certainly in my lifetime, and mebbe in all) was LBJ. He gave up his political ambitions and popularity to pass the Civil Rights Act and attendant legislation. Yes, he was a fuck up where Vietnam was concerned, but what he did took guts and propelled this nation forward in a way no other president has done.

That is what I want in a president: someone with the brains and guts to do the right thing wihout pandering to his critics or his supporters. Just Get It Done.

I never got that from Reagan that it was all about being "Christian Enough".

He DID make it a morality issue and believed in objective-absolutist morals. That is why the cold war became a good vs evil issue, because he truely believed that the US was the last example of Good in the world. And at that time, that was a very powerful thing to realize. That feeling lasted till the second term of Clinton, and the impeachment trial and constant drumbeat of the media that we as a nation sucked dispelled it.

He's the reason why the Religious Right controls the GOP today.
ROFL... the religious right controls the GOP...! Whatta joke! As compared to the DNC, they have influence, but control? Shit... we wouldn't have had McCain then. we woulda had Huckabee.

I wouldn't say that the religious right CONTROLS the GOP but I WOULD say that they wield great influence...

when g bush the 2nd was in office for 8 years he (or his people) had weekly (thursdays, I believe) meetings with representatives of the religious right

where-as...
I wasn't invited to ANY of those meetings....

as for mccain (a man I like and admire and would have GLADLY voted for president because I trust him to represent ALL Americans), most people agree that his choice of palin was a gesture to the christian right

however
I agree with part of your statement; if the gop were CONTROLLED by the religious right then mccain would NEVER have been nominated

perhaps that is an indication that MOST republicans are NOT as enamored of the right wing as ann coulter and rush limbaugh wish they were...?

that would be encouraging....

moderation in all things!
especially politics

IMO, the greatest president (certainly in my lifetime, and mebbe in all) was LBJ. He gave up his political ambitions and popularity to pass the Civil Rights Act and attendant legislation. Yes, he was a fuck up where Vietnam was concerned, but what he did took guts and propelled this nation forward in a way no other president has done.

That is what I want in a president: someone with the brains and guts to do the right thing wihout pandering to his critics or his supporters. Just Get It Done.

“I'll have those ******* voting Democratic for the next 200 years” -- Lyndon B. Johnson.

Also, Ike passed the first Civil Rights Act.

You can keep lying all you want, but Progressive loss of the Media Monopoly makes you look ridiculous

Last edited:
Reagan referred to God -- and he meant it. I think it must have burned Progressive ears to hear him speak so affectionately that he was the servant of a higher power that wasn't Mo' n Bigga Gubbamint
That's what scared the moral relativists and atheists. To them, he was the personification of religious insanity. He said it, and believed it and lived it.

This man whom you idolize for his faith was busy getting his tarot cards read to decide matters of national importance. He was a terrible christian by any measure...a hypocrite, a manipulator and a coward.

And BTW, my Big Fizzy friend, since you have bitched about what crappy parents hippies were I assume you were in diapers while Reagan was in office. Is there some reason you are writing as if you remember him?

“I'll have those ******* voting Democratic for the next 200 years” -- Lyndon B. Johnson.

You can keep lying all you want, but Progressive loss of the Media Monopoly makes you look ridiculous

What Civil Rights Act are you referring to Frank?

Eisenhower, perhaps the most Liberal President of the 20th century and another man who would be considered a RINO in the modern day GOP.

Thanks for pointing that out Frank.

ROFL... the religious right controls the GOP...! Whatta joke! As compared to the DNC, they have influence, but control? Shit... we wouldn't have had McCain then.

Control of what matters most in the GOP, positions. As Barry Goldwater, Mr. Conservative himself once said, he'd be considered a Liberal in his party at the rate the party was going.

Barry Goldwater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the 1980s, with Ronald Reagan as president and the growing involvement of the religious right in conservative politics, Goldwater's libertarian views on personal issues were revealed; he believed that they were an integral part of true conservatism. Goldwater viewed abortion as a matter of personal choice, not intended for government intervention.[36]

After his retirement in 1987, Goldwater described the conservative Arizona Governor Evan Mecham as "hardheaded" and called on him to resign, and two years later stated that the Republican party had been taken over by a "bunch of kooks".[39]

In a 1994 interview with the Washington Post the retired senator said,
When you say "radical right" today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye.[40]

A few years before his death he went so far as to address the right wing, "Do not associate my name with anything you do. You are extremists, and you've hurt the Republican party much more than the Democrats have."[48]
The peak of the "Religious Right's" supposed control was in the first term of the Bush admin. It has rapidly collapsed ever since because it was exposed as nothing more than social progressivism in the guise of religion. It was quickly exposed to just wanting to push government to forward religion, and W's Compassionate Conservatism was no different than the lib's social justice except using Churches instead of atheistic non-profits.

And now in this age of not being able to pay for this out of control spending, who, in the Christian Coalition is left to run and is looking successful? Hardly anyone.

What Civil Rights Act are you referring to Frank?

Digital Documents and Photographs Project

"In 1957, President Eisenhower sent Congress a proposal for civil rights legislation. The result was the Civil Rights Act of 1957, the first civil rights legislation since Reconstruction. "

Seriously? You never heard of the 1957 Civil Rights Act? Are you THAT brain washed?

Are you THAT uninformed?

You see now why Progressives only way to keep lying is to shut down the Internet, right?

It took my breath away when I realized how badly I've been lied to by Progressives in school and in the media

Last edited:
No, Ike stood up for the Constitutional rights of individuals, that makes him a Conservative.

:lol: You let me know when he starts sounding like a Conservative:

Presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eisenhower believed that taxes could not be cut until the budget was balanced. "We cannot afford to reduce taxes, [and] reduce income," he said, "until we have in sight a program of expenditure that shows that the factors of income and outgo will be balanced." Eisenhower kept the national debt low and inflation near zero.[7]

Gosh, he refuses to cut taxes. And what is one of the GOP's main issues today? Extending the Bush Tax Cuts!

Democrats attacked Eisenhower for not taking a public stand against Senator Joseph McCarthy's anti-communist campaigns. Privately he held McCarthy in contempt, saying, "I just won't get down in the gutter with that man." Eisenhower worked behind the scenes to weaken McCarthy, and helped cause his downfall in 1954.

Gosh Frank! He just attacked your hero that you've created countless threads on USMB over the past couple days! :eek:

Eisenhower promoted the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, which created the United States' Interstate Highways.[10] It was the largest public works program in U.S. history, providing a 41,000-mile highway system. Eisenhower had been impressed during the war with the German Autobahn system, and also recalled his own involvement in a military convoy in 1919 that took 62 days to cross the U.S. Another achievement was a 20% increase in family income during his presidency, of which he was very proud.

But wait! You attack the New Deal all the time, and that included numerous amounts of public works! :eek:

Throughout his presidency, Eisenhower preached a doctrine of dynamic conservatism.[43] He continued all the major New Deal programs still in operation, especially Social Security. He expanded its programs and rolled them into a new cabinet-level agency, the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, while extending benefits to an additional ten million workers. His cabinet, consisting of several corporate executives and one labor leader, was dubbed by one journalist, "Eight millionaires and a plumber."[44]

:eek:

And for the nail in the coffin:

Ike Wanted to Spread Wealth, Too | CommonDreams.org

In some countries, this notable stated, “a few families are fabulously wealthy, contribute far less than they should in taxes, and are indifferent to the poverty of the great masses of the people.” “A country in this situation,” he went on, “is fraught with continual instability.”

Just who made this spread-the-wealth declaration against the dangers societies invite when they let wealth concentrate? The then-president of the United States, Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Ike’s words back in 1960 created no controversy. Americans overwhelmingly shared his spread-the-wealth convictions. Societies that discourage vast accumulations of private wealth, they believed, simply work better.

The U.S. tax code, back then, reflected this consensus. Income more than $400,000 a year — that’s a bit more than $3 million today, after adjusting for inflation — faced a 91 percent tax rate.

The rich of Ike’s day, of course, exploited tax loopholes, just like today’s rich. But even after exploiting loopholes, the wealthy of the Eisenhower years still paid a hefty share of their income in taxes.

No, Ike stood up for the Constitutional rights of individuals, that makes him a Conservative.

:lol: You let me know when he starts sounding like a Conservative:

Presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eisenhower believed that taxes could not be cut until the budget was balanced. "We cannot afford to reduce taxes, [and] reduce income," he said, "until we have in sight a program of expenditure that shows that the factors of income and outgo will be balanced." Eisenhower kept the national debt low and inflation near zero.[7]

Gosh, he refuses to cut taxes. And what is one of the GOP's main issues today? Extending the Bush Tax Cuts!

Gosh Frank! He just attacked your hero that you've created countless threads on USMB over the past couple days! :eek:

But wait! You attack the New Deal all the time, and that included numerous amounts of public works! :eek:

:eek:

And for the nail in the coffin:

Ike Wanted to Spread Wealth, Too | CommonDreams.org

In some countries, this notable stated, “a few families are fabulously wealthy, contribute far less than they should in taxes, and are indifferent to the poverty of the great masses of the people.” “A country in this situation,” he went on, “is fraught with continual instability.”

Just who made this spread-the-wealth declaration against the dangers societies invite when they let wealth concentrate? The then-president of the United States, Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Ike’s words back in 1960 created no controversy. Americans overwhelmingly shared his spread-the-wealth convictions. Societies that discourage vast accumulations of private wealth, they believed, simply work better.

The U.S. tax code, back then, reflected this consensus. Income more than $400,000 a year — that’s a bit more than $3 million today, after adjusting for inflation — faced a 91 percent tax rate.

The rich of Ike’s day, of course, exploited tax loopholes, just like today’s rich. But even after exploiting loopholes, the wealthy of the Eisenhower years still paid a hefty share of their income in taxes.

Have a grown up read this to you, you clearly didn't understand it:

If that's the case, then why did Reagan oppose these Civil Right Acts? :eusa_think:

You didn't even bother to read what I posted because it goes against all you wish to believe. Problem with the internet these days is there's always a place for people such as yourself to have your beliefs validated whether they be true or not. ;)

If that's the case, then why did Reagan oppose these Civil Right Acts? :eusa_think:

You didn't even bother to read what I posted because it goes against all you wish to believe. Problem with the internet these days is there's always a place for people such as yourself to have your beliefs validated whether they be true or not. ;)

Progressives claim Reagan was a racist like FDR and LBJ, who am I to argue?

Also, Reagan never used blacks in ways that would influence the Nazis like FDR did with his Tuskegee Experiments.

Further, Reagan never claimed that he'd have "them ******* voting" Republican "for the next 200 years" the way your boy LBJ claimed.

Yeah, Reagan, such a racist! :eek:

Probably because he used to be a democrat.

October 13, 1858
During Lincoln-Douglas debates, U.S. Senator Stephen Douglas (D-IL) states: “I do not regard the Negro as my equal, and positively deny that he is my brother, or any kin to me whatever”; Douglas became Democratic Party’s 1860 presidential nominee

April 16, 1862
President Lincoln signs bill abolishing slavery in District of Columbia; in Congress, 99% of Republicans vote yes, 83% of Democrats vote no

July 17, 1862
Over unanimous Democrat opposition, Republican Congress passes Confiscation Act stating that slaves of the Confederacy “shall be forever free”

January 31, 1865
13th Amendment banning slavery passed by U.S. House with unanimous Republican support, intense Democrat opposition

April 8, 1865
13th Amendment banning slavery passed by U.S. Senate with 100% Republican support, 63% Democrat opposition

November 22, 1865
Republicans denounce Democrat legislature of Mississippi for enacting “black codes,” which institutionalized racial discrimination

February 5, 1866
U.S. Rep. Thaddeus Stevens (R-PA) introduces legislation, successfully opposed by Democrat President Andrew Johnson, to implement “40 acres and a mule” relief by distributing land to former slaves

1964 civil rights act vote tally
Senate: 77–19

Democrats: 47–17 (73%-27%)
Republicans: 30–2 (94%-6%)

House: 333–85

Democrats: 221–61 (78%-22%)
Republicans: 112–24 (82%-18%)

George W. Bush signs 25 year extension of The National Voting Rights Act of 1965

Que the .... "But all the racist democrats are now republicans" rebuttal in 3...2...1...

Eisenhower, perhaps the most Liberal President of the 20th century and another man who would be considered a RINO in the modern day GOP.

Thanks for pointing that out Frank.

That's the litmus test for conservatism? You've tossed any specific policy out the window and decided to make it something everyone agrees upon?

What's next? You're a creationist if you agree the sun rises in the east? Someone who believes in the evolutionary theory is someone who agrees that mammals are birthed? I could come up with these straw-man arguments all day.

Also, Reagan never used blacks in ways that would influence the Nazis like FDR did with his Tuskegee Experiments.

Further, Reagan never claimed that he'd have "them ******* voting" Republican "for the next 200 years" the way your boy LBJ claimed.

So those two things make it okay for Reagan to oppose the Civil Right Acts? Got it. :thup:

Probably because he used to be a democrat.

October 13, 1858
During Lincoln-Douglas debates, U.S. Senator Stephen Douglas (D-IL) states: “I do not regard the Negro as my equal, and positively deny that he is my brother, or any kin to me whatever”; Douglas became Democratic Party’s 1860 presidential nominee

April 16, 1862
President Lincoln signs bill abolishing slavery in District of Columbia; in Congress, 99% of Republicans vote yes, 83% of Democrats vote no

July 17, 1862
Over unanimous Democrat opposition, Republican Congress passes Confiscation Act stating that slaves of the Confederacy “shall be forever free”

January 31, 1865
13th Amendment banning slavery passed by U.S. House with unanimous Republican support, intense Democrat opposition

April 8, 1865
13th Amendment banning slavery passed by U.S. Senate with 100% Republican support, 63% Democrat opposition

November 22, 1865
Republicans denounce Democrat legislature of Mississippi for enacting “black codes,” which institutionalized racial discrimination

February 5, 1866
U.S. Rep. Thaddeus Stevens (R-PA) introduces legislation, successfully opposed by Democrat President Andrew Johnson, to implement “40 acres and a mule” relief by distributing land to former slaves

George W. Bush signs 25 year extension of The National Voting Rights Act of 1965

Que the .... "But all the racist democrats are now republicans" rebuttal in 3...2...1...
All I'm going to say about Ike is that he was a disappointing president in that he was a very 'do nothing' president. His major accomplishment was the interstate system, and that's a fantastic accomplishment on par with the Transcontinental Railroad.

In all fairness Jeremy, remember, the Republican party was formed as a fusion of the Whig Unionists and Abolitionist forces.

Hello there! The Southern Strategy would like a word with you when you have a moment!

Oddly enough, seems like you just accidentally forgot to include that in your little timeline. :eusa_whistle:

Dude, dude, dude, give credit where credit is due. Woodrow Wilson was far more of a dickbag in terms of racism that any politician we've had. He re-segregated the federal government after it got de-segregated after the Civil War and was a friggin' white supremacist.

Forum List

Back