Raising Masculine Sons

As a real man I stink therefore I am. My son's are super muchisimo because they are Germanic, so, the masculinity comes naturally.

I've been working for three weeks at my new job, which allows me to work from home. Friday was my first payday with them, and I took the opportunity to buy myself a proper computer desk and ergonomic chair (I've been working at the dining room table, and my neck feels permanently cramped). Today my two sons assembled the chair and the desk, while teasing me that my lack of any mechanical ability is due to my being a girl.

This sparked a conversation which got me thinking about raising sons to be men with a healthy masculinity in this day and age. Specifically, I'm pondering over the role a mother can play in this. Obviously, a father's role is to exemplify healthy masculinity in his own behavior. But how does a woman instill healthy masculinity in her sons? I think my oldest son, who is 26, stands as evidence that I've managed this in his case (his younger brother is 13, so we'll see), but I'll be damned if I could tell you exactly how.

What thoughts do you guys have on this subject?
As a mother, be a good example of femininity and teach them how to respect women. Respect for women is one of the most positive masculine traits I know of. I look at men who display a lack of respect for women and they all look like sniveling cowards.

As a mother, be a good example of femininity and teach them how to respect women. Respect for women is one of the most positive masculine traits I know of. I look at men who display a lack of respect for women and they all look like sniveling cowards.
Young girls need to learn this as well. Maybe more.

Just don't hover over the young one.....Hell at 13 (when I wasn't working/in school) I'd be down on the river hunting, fishing, and yeah, getting into things I likely should not have but my only real requirement was to be home at supper time if I was not working.....Mom insisted that we take our meals together.

LOL....She always said I was the cheapest kid she raised because I never asked for anything. ;)
I was the same way. My mother a widowed housewife, we grew up poor and I was one of the few of my 8 siblings that understood and accepted that there were things that were out of my mom's reach to give me. No big deal. If wanting was painful, I just stopped wanting and decided to be happy with what I had.

I was the same way. My mother a widowed housewife, we grew up poor and I was one of the few of my 8 siblings that understood and accepted that there were things that were out of my mom's reach to give me. No big deal. If wanting was painful, I just stopped wanting and decided to be happy with what I had.
Halfway to Buddhist.

The whole "landlord" thing is a left over from the aristocracy.
Originally we were all hunter/gatherers who could never even conceive of the lie that anyone can "own" land.
You can't really "own" that which you did not create.
Landlords were those who the ruling tyrant wanted to award with an arbitrary edict.
I am a successful landlord because I understand the laws, taxes, and economics, but it is totally unethical.
All I do is provide the credit, and then I can get people to line up in order to buy the property for me.
No one should be forced to rent, and everyone should own their own home, with a few exceptions.
That might be the stupidest thing ever posted on this site.

That might be the stupidest thing ever posted on this site.

Do you understand what feudalism is, where some evil dictator bribes his supporters by giving arbitrary ownership off fiefdoms, so that the real workers are forced to support them.
That is exactly what landlords mean and come from.
The problem with the world is that we still have the remnants of feudalism.
They own and control the means of production, our homes, the media, the IRS, the police, etc.

Do you understand what feudalism is, where some evil dictator bribes his supporters by giving arbitrary ownership off fiefdoms, so that the real workers are forced to support them.
That is exactly what landlords mean and come from.
The problem with the world is that we still have the remnants of feudalism.
They own and control the means of production, our homes, the media, the IRS, the police, etc.
Do you have some sort of POINT here, dude?

Do you have some sort of POINT here, dude?

I was responding to WinterBorn, who wrote:
{...
But the last line puzzles me. If a landlord evicts you, it is almost always because you didn't pay rent or did something to violate the rules. Why would you be aggressive towards him for what you did?

And why shouldn't a landlord exist? If you aren't buying a place, someone else has to own it.
...}

And my point is that aggression should be appropriate when justified.
And with those who manipulate capital to force an inappropriate share of your labor, that can become appropriate.

I was responding to WinterBorn, who wrote:
{...
But the last line puzzles me. If a landlord evicts you, it is almost always because you didn't pay rent or did something to violate the rules. Why would you be aggressive towards him for what you did?

And why shouldn't a landlord exist? If you aren't buying a place, someone else has to own it.
...}

And my point is that aggression should be appropriate when justified.
And with those who manipulate capital to force an inappropriate share of your labor, that can become appropriate.
You're so full of shit it's bubbling out your ears. Pay your rent, deadbeat.

Just don't hover over the young one.....Hell at 13 (when I wasn't working/in school) I'd be down on the river hunting, fishing, and yeah, getting into things I likely should not have but my only real requirement was to be home at supper time if I was not working.....Mom insisted that we take our meals together.

LOL....She always said I was the cheapest kid she raised because I never asked for anything. ;)
Sounds like you had everything a kid needs.

I've been working for three weeks at my new job, which allows me to work from home. Friday was my first payday with them, and I took the opportunity to buy myself a proper computer desk and ergonomic chair (I've been working at the dining room table, and my neck feels permanently cramped). Today my two sons assembled the chair and the desk, while teasing me that my lack of any mechanical ability is due to my being a girl.

This sparked a conversation which got me thinking about raising sons to be men with a healthy masculinity in this day and age. Specifically, I'm pondering over the role a mother can play in this. Obviously, a father's role is to exemplify healthy masculinity in his own behavior. But how does a woman instill healthy masculinity in her sons? I think my oldest son, who is 26, stands as evidence that I've managed this in his case (his younger brother is 13, so we'll see), but I'll be damned if I could tell you exactly how.

What thoughts do you guys have on this subject?
Sans a father in the home your boys will likely find other male role models. Stay informed about this, without prying. Be very aware of who their friends are as well, and whether they are choosing them or are chosen by them. Make sure you meet them as well.

Sans a father in the home your boys will likely find other male role models. Stay informed about this, without prying. Be very aware of who their friends are as well, and whether they are choosing them or are chosen by them. Make sure you meet them as well.

Whatever gave you the idea that there was no father in my home? If I remember correctly, I didn't specifically say either way; as it happens, I've been happily married for 27 years, as of this coming Friday.

Forum List

Back