Rainbow flag gets burned, police launch hate crime investigation

Freedom of speech means just that. Burning a flag is NOT illegal, If it was someone else's flag it means you get charged with destruction of private property but NOT a hate crime. You can not on one hand say anyone can burn this flag but not that flag.

Freedom of speech means just that. Burning a flag is NOT illegal, If it was someone else's flag it means you get charged with destruction of private property but NOT a hate crime. You can not on one hand say anyone can burn this flag but not that flag.
A political flag is different from other flags. Understand this and you will understand why the courts allow the burning of the Stars and Stripes but not others.

Burning the rainbow flag is freedom of speech, much like burning the US flag is.

Not when it's someone else's property, then it can become vandalism or possibly arson.

Of course. If the people who burned the flag didn't own it then it's destruction of property and they should be forced to compensate the flag owners. But I'm not buying hate speech.
You know...they would have to prove that charge in a court of law, right?

I understand the legal process. It still doesn't make burning a flag hate speech. I don't buy into the whole "hate speech" bs.

Burning the rainbow flag is freedom of speech, much like burning the US flag is.

Not when it's someone else's property, then it can become vandalism or possibly arson.

Of course. If the people who burned the flag didn't own it then it's destruction of property and they should be forced to compensate the flag owners. But I'm not buying hate speech.
You know...they would have to prove that charge in a court of law, right?

I understand the legal process. It still doesn't make burning a flag hate speech. I don't buy into the whole "hate speech" bs.
Legally, a person can be "convicted of a felony hate crime for burning a rainbow gay pride flag".
Desecrating American Flag Is Free Speech, Burning Gay Pride Flag Is A Felony Hate Crime

Forum List

Back