Radical Islam Will Not Go Away Unless Crushed

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Scenes from The Jihad
By Jeff Jacoby, Boston Globe
November 1, 2006

...there can't be much question that at this point in the war against radical Islam, the radicals are on the march. From Ahmadinejad's swagger to Hezbollah's war on Israel to the plot to blow up jetliners leaving London, our enemies are aggressive, relentless, and unequivocal in their determination to defeat us. Meanwhile, Western Europe is turning into Eurabia before our eyes, as a fading native population with its effete secular culture of pacifism and relativism is superseded by a surging Muslim cohort. Most Muslims are not Islamists or terrorists, of course. However, most of them keep quiet in the face of the radical offensive. That is all the radicals need to keep driving the jihad forward.

"If this country lets down its guard, it will be a fatal mistake," President Bush said last week. Yet too many Americans seem unable to recognize the threat, or to believe that they, their liberties, and the lives of innumerable human beings are truly at stake in a deadly global war.

But radical Islam is not going away. Like Nazism and c ommunism, it is (in Senator Rick Santorum's words) "an ideology that produces the systemic murder of innocents." Like those earlier totalitarianisms, it will go on murdering until it is crushed. Like them, it is impervious to appeasement and contemptuous of weakness. The longer Americans sleep, the farther the jihad advances.

for full article:
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/11/01/scenes_from_the_jihad/

Scenes from The Jihad
By Jeff Jacoby, Boston Globe
November 1, 2006

...there can't be much question that at this point in the war against radical Islam, the radicals are on the march. From Ahmadinejad's swagger to Hezbollah's war on Israel to the plot to blow up jetliners leaving London, our enemies are aggressive, relentless, and unequivocal in their determination to defeat us. Meanwhile, Western Europe is turning into Eurabia before our eyes, as a fading native population with its effete secular culture of pacifism and relativism is superseded by a surging Muslim cohort. Most Muslims are not Islamists or terrorists, of course. However, most of them keep quiet in the face of the radical offensive. That is all the radicals need to keep driving the jihad forward.

"If this country lets down its guard, it will be a fatal mistake," President Bush said last week. Yet too many Americans seem unable to recognize the threat, or to believe that they, their liberties, and the lives of innumerable human beings are truly at stake in a deadly global war.

But radical Islam is not going away. Like Nazism and c ommunism, it is (in Senator Rick Santorum's words) "an ideology that produces the systemic murder of innocents." Like those earlier totalitarianisms, it will go on murdering until it is crushed. Like them, it is impervious to appeasement and contemptuous of weakness. The longer Americans sleep, the farther the jihad advances.

for full article:
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/11/01/scenes_from_the_jihad/
Further, the great mass of Muslims that are not nominally jihadists are in fact complicit in the violence because they do not strongly condemn the terrorists. And they never take positive action against them. They are analogous to the great mass of Germans in the 30s that were complicit in the violence that engulfed Europe because they stood by and did nothing. There will be no negotiating with radical Islam because it seeks the destruction of those it perceives as enemies. Not just the cultures of the West, but also Indians, Thais, western Chinese, and others. This war will be very long and it will not be over until radical Islam is physically eliminated...erased. Thus far, radical Islam's enemies have not demonstrated the will to win, or that the threat is even understood.

Totally agree, onedomino. Now if we could only sell that message to the libs in this country and in Europe.........

Further, the great mass of Muslims that are not nominally jihadists are in fact complicit in the violence because they do not strongly condemn the terrorists. And they never take positive action against them. They are analogous to the great mass of Germans in the 30s that were complicit in the violence that engulfed Europe because they stood by and did nothing. There will be no negotiating with radical Islam because it seeks the destruction of those it perceives as enemies. Not just the cultures of the West, but also Indians, Thais, western Chinese, and others. This war will be very long and it will not be over until radical Islam is physically eliminated...erased. Thus far, radical Islam's enemies have not demonstrated the will to win, or that the threat is even understood.

Complicit, yes, that's a good way of putting it.

That's like us sitting around the table, and by our silence, and lack of action, allowing people, that use our religion, to bring terror, and death in our name.

Total bull plucky!

Wouldn't happen, people would be distancing themselves from such hate, and terror. The out cry would be deafening, and they would be shown for what they are-CRIMIANLS.

We would hunt them down, and they would be brought to pay for their crimes.

I don't see ANY of this going on in the Middle East, or the Islamic nations.

Its a shame, and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Its just one of the reasons I can't get too teary eyed when I see "collateral" damage. They finally bring it on themselves, no one else to blame.:smoke:

That's like us sitting around the table, and by our silence, and lack of action, allowing people, that use our religion, to bring terror, and death in our name.

Someone once said "Before you remove the splinter from your neighbor's eye, remove the plank from your own.

Is the muslim world complicit? Sure. They practically have a collective heart attack over a cartoon in a Dutch newspaper but are oblivious to the events swirling around them at home. There's something very, very odd about that.

But we have a Dear Leader of our own who is visiting death and destruction on others in our name because he believes God told him to do so. So.....is there THAT much difference between us'n and them all? :eek2:

Someone once said "Before you remove the splinter from your neighbor's eye, remove the plank from your own.

Is the muslim world complicit? Sure. They practically have a collective heart attack over a cartoon in a Dutch newspaper but are oblivious to the events swirling around them at home. There's something very, very odd about that.

But we have a Dear Leader of our own who is visiting death and destruction on others in our name because he believes God told him to do so. So.....is there THAT much difference between us'n and them all? :eek2:

Is it all about oil?

I'm sure you're going to say yes, which lead to my next question. If it's all about oil, do you benefit?

Well, I duuno if its all about oil. But there MUST be some reason why we are expending blood and treasure in Iraq and not in Sudan, where a government 10 times more bloody minded and cruel is presently exterminating its own citizens while the world yawns. Perhaps oil is the answer. But as far as I can tell, the only DEFINITIVE reason for being there is because our own Dear Leader says God spoke to him and told him to do this.

Around here, people who have direct, personal conversations with God get a free, one way ride to the booby hatch, but I guess if you are the president, you get some special dispensation from being labelled just plain nuts. :duh3:

First off, even if it was true, deflecting to what our President is doing, in YOUR opinion, does NOT somehow justify what Islam is doing.

And there's a WORLD of difference between us and them. If you can't see the difference between them and us, you are just part of the problem and no part of ANY solution.

Crushing the [label of choice for raghead targets here] is a good idea. But honestly I question whether we have the balls and audacity to do it. Don't get me wrong. The services have the will to do as is needed. I question the willpower of the media, the pols, and finally the public who (for the most part) have been lead like sheep by the first two.

Problem is that our mission over there is a mix of humanitarian and diplomatic taskings with our Military in a support role. But the .mil is shackled with ROES that don't allow them to fully succeed. We've heard that before haven't we? I did, in Lebanon in 1982. It was true then and it's true now. In order to crush the [label of choice for raghead targets here] we must recognize that war is an ugly place and not shy away from it. The locals will have to learn to choose sides and stay the hell away from folks with guns.

Well, I duuno if its all about oil. But there MUST be some reason why we are expending blood and treasure in Iraq and not in Sudan, where a government 10 times more bloody minded and cruel is presently exterminating its own citizens while the world yawns. Perhaps oil is the answer. But as far as I can tell, the only DEFINITIVE reason for being there is because our own Dear Leader says God spoke to him and told him to do this.

Around here, people who have direct, personal conversations with God get a free, one way ride to the booby hatch, but I guess if you are the president, you get some special dispensation from being labelled just plain nuts. :duh3:

Neither our invasions of Afghanistan nor Iraq were based on your story that God told the President to do so. Both invasions were based on real and valid reasons.

So you can try that one again.

Since you're so intelligent, instead of jumping into the clearing guns blazing, why don't try the simple tactic of reading past threads on these topics you appear to want to rehash with long-ago shot down arguments? Just a suggestion from uneducated redneckville.

Crushing the [label of choice for raghead targets here] is a good idea. But honestly I question whether we have the balls and audacity to do it. Don't get me wrong. The services have the will to do as is needed. I question the willpower of the media, the pols, and finally the public who (for the most part) have been lead like sheep by the first two.

Problem is that our mission over there is a mix of humanitarian and diplomatic taskings with our Military in a support role. But the .mil is shackled with ROES that don't allow them to fully succeed. We've heard that before haven't we? I did, in Lebanon in 1982. It was true then and it's true now. In order to crush the [label of choice for raghead targets here] we must recognize that war is an ugly place and not shy away from it. The locals will have to learn to choose sides and stay the hell away from folks with guns.

I know everyone can't know everyone, but did you know a Luis Nava or Thomas Lamb in Beirut?

I know everyone can't know everyone, but did you know a Luis Nava or Thomas Lamb in Beirut?

No sir. I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't in Lebanon. I was on the west coast RDF and we were called out when the barracks were bombed. As we made big holes in the water off long beach the ROEs were explained to us while we sharpened bayonets and kbars. I didn't know it then but seven guys I went to boot camp with were dead. Really sux that three days later the pols called us off.

Bush has stated publicly that God told him to go into Iraq.

As far as a newbie being familiar with all previous 107,642 threads and their attendant posts, well, gee, will there be a test?

I have a friend who employs the quote "I have never learned anything from someone who agrees with me." Seeing as you appear to ONLY accept input from people who agree with you, well, the conclusion is obvious, isn't it?

There's more to life than close order drill.

As far as a newbie being familiar with all previous 107,642 threads and their attendant posts, well, gee, will there be a test?

I have a friend who employs the quote "I have never learned anything from someone who agrees with me." Seeing as you appear to ONLY accept input from people who agree with you, well, the conclusion is obvious, isn't it?

Portraying President Bush as a religious loony is evidence that you do not understand what he means. Our troops are in Iraq--lives are in the balance--American and Iraqi. What do you propose as a solution to ending the WOT front in Iraq?

I saw that BBC documentary too. Would hearsay from an 'ex-Palistinain leader' hold up in court? It might, I suppose stranger things have happened, like people beliving what he said. :shrug:

Portraying President Bush as a religious loony is evidence that you do not understand what he means. Our troops are in Iraq--lives are in the balance--American and Iraqi. What do you propose as a solution to ending the WOT front in Iraq?

I think you are mixing things up here. Our troops ARE in Iraqi and lives ARE in the balance. BECAUSE we have a religious loony for a leader! As for getting out of what we have gotten ourselves into, I would start by NOT listening to the ideas of the very person who got into this mess in the first place. THAT part should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.

As to what I would do if I were King of the Universe?

I start by saying there IS no good solution. But since Iraq is a "magic" country cobbled together by the British after WW I, I would STOP trying to invest imaginary borders with magical powers. Yugoslavia broke apart into its component parts in a bloody and pitiful way, but so be it. Life in that part of the world goes on. I would allow Iraq to split into its component parts. It will be another bloody and pitiful process, but at least American soldiers will not be getting their asses shot off trying to keep the lid on the pressure cooker.

There may even be an ancillary advantage to The West. If the muslims descend into fight to the fininsh between the Sunnis, the Shi'ites and the Wahabists, at least we will know with whom we are dealing when smoke clears.

You asked my opinion and so I have given it. Do I think it is a GOOD solution? No. Do I think it is a workable solution? Yes I do, though obviously one that has some dire consequences attached to it. Its gonna be painful no matter what. Why not let the contestants inflict the pain on each other and keep OUR soldiers out of it?

Somehow, I suspect there are other opinions out there waiting to be unleashed. Let's hear 'em.

No sir. I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't in Lebanon. I was on the west coast RDF and we were called out when the barracks were bombed. As we made big holes in the water off long beach the ROEs were explained to us while we sharpened bayonets and kbars. I didn't know it then but seven guys I went to boot camp with were dead. Really sux that three days later the pols called us off.

I went to boot camp with one of the Marines. The other I knew from 29 Palms. I haven't seen the casualty list since Oct 83, but IIRC, I think I knew four-or-five Marines killed in Beirut. The two I mentioned are the only ones I recall off the top of my head.

I was at the time enjoying my first, all-expense-paid vaction to that Pacific paradise, the ryukyu islands.

Feel free to provide the evidence to support the allegation.

As I said, just a suggestion. I will point out however that I did not say a word about reading each and every post, now did I?

I can accept any argument that is based on fact/logic and/or evidence. I do not consider out-of-context intellectual idealism as fitting into any of those categories. I most assuredly don't accept intellectual elitism in and of itself to give more weight to ANY argument.

I went to boot camp with one of the Marines. The other I knew from 29 Palms. I haven't seen the casualty list since Oct 83, but IIRC, I think I knew four-or-five Marines killed in Beirut. The two I mentioned are the only ones I recall off the top of my head.

On the twentieth anniversary I sent my congress critter a note requesting a commemorative stamp. He thought I meant a USMC stamp. I said, no, an event stamp. Just like the one you will support at the twentieth anniversary of 911. Still no stamp.

Forum List

Back