Racist Film Director Arrested For Trying To Rob Bank

Yep. So if your account is full of cash due to illegal activity and you try withdraw a large amount of cash with a note an inexperienced teller may panic. But you just go to racism immediately.
Directing Major Motion Pictures is “illegal activity”

Anyhoo, hard to tell if racism or just a silly teller who panicked or misunderstood her BSA training.

But it doesn't surprise me one bit when a black person suspects racism. And yes, even sometimes from blacks. We have training just to help people overcome their inherent, subconscious biases and to work around them. It's not just race. Age, clothing, speech, lots of things can evoke biased responses, even from (especially from!) the unwitting.

Last edited:
A withdraw that big requires filling out a special form. You don’t just walk up to a teller and hand them a note to withdraw $12k from an account. It could be construed as an attempt at robbery.
It's NOT "robbing a bank" you fucking retard

It was his own account

"The "Black Panther" director was in Atlanta, attempting to withdraw $12,000 from his account with Bank of America. The teller received an alert on his account, according to the police report obtained by CNN, because the amount was more than $10,000. The teller notified her superior that she thought Coogler was trying to rob the bank and 911 was called. Coogler had written a note on the back of his withdrawal slip stating that he wanted the money to be counted discreetly, given the amount, according to the report.

When police arrived, two of Coogler's colleagues, who were waiting for him in a parked vehicle outside the bank, were detained and placed in the back of a police car. Coogler was placed in handcuffs while police investigated the call.
"We deeply regret that this incident occurred. It never should have happened and we have apologized to Mr. Coogler," Bank of America said in a statement to CNN. Coogler was in Georgia at the time of the incident, working on production of "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever," the sequel to his 2018 blockbuster."

I doubt this was as much a case of racial profiling as it is a case of why would you go to a bank and withdraw 12K?? Of course someone is going to think you are robbing the bank. Why do people think they should be able to put their money into a bank and simply waltz in and withdraw large amounts of that money without them being detained and investigated?? How do we know that he wasn't being kidnapped and extorted? How do we know he wasn't indeed robbing that bank?

Most bank robberies are done by signing a withdrawal slip with your name and account number on it; then handing it to a teller along with your ID - it's not always a matter of someone going into a bank with guns drawn. This guy may be some multi-millionaire director just because he directed some racist movie -- but he is clearly too dumb to know how to handle money. Hopefully this incident has taught him a much needed lesson.
I have a bank account at BofA----they are crooks don't get me wrong--I should be banking elsewhere.... And I take out large amounts of Cash---especially now as I like to pay CASH for items and am doing home renovations that small business's appreciate CASH as well. Each time I withdraw a few thousand---I get to talk to the teller and one his/her higher ups at a minimum. They always quiz me on what the money is for etc etc and ask me for additional information and then try to get my life story so they can sell me banking products--bad banking products. I never take out more than $10,000 as anything over $10,000 can lead to your money being "arrested" by the government and triggers the banks to report and verify. You have to tell them how you plan on spending the money---if he refused to or didn't have a good made up answer, they would have called the police. So if he was just getting drug money or got defensive and stupid because they asked and didn't want to tell them what the money was for---then yeah they would become suspicious and call the cops.

He is to dumb to handle money---I suspect that he doesn't have that much money in the bank---as BofA would have done like they do me everytime I go in for cash or even an ATM replacement----the bank trips all over themselves trying to sell me products hard sell style that I don't want after verifying who I am wasting a massive amount of my time each and everytime---I could see where people would tell them to f off like he likely did----but unlike him, I keep my cool and just insult their bank products. People with some money are expected to have some business etiquette in banks.

Last edited:
She didn’t know who he was or what he did.

Ummm…..you need something more than a big banking account to be suspected of illegal activity.

A $12,000 cash withdrawal is not that big a deal for most banks

"The "Black Panther" director was in Atlanta, attempting to withdraw $12,000 from his account with Bank of America. The teller received an alert on his account, according to the police report obtained by CNN, because the amount was more than $10,000. The teller notified her superior that she thought Coogler was trying to rob the bank and 911 was called. Coogler had written a note on the back of his withdrawal slip stating that he wanted the money to be counted discreetly, given the amount, according to the report.

When police arrived, two of Coogler's colleagues, who were waiting for him in a parked vehicle outside the bank, were detained and placed in the back of a police car. Coogler was placed in handcuffs while police investigated the call.
"We deeply regret that this incident occurred. It never should have happened and we have apologized to Mr. Coogler," Bank of America said in a statement to CNN. Coogler was in Georgia at the time of the incident, working on production of "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever," the sequel to his 2018 blockbuster."

I doubt this was as much a case of racial profiling as it is a case of why would you go to a bank and withdraw 12K?? Of course someone is going to think you are robbing the bank. Why do people think they should be able to put their money into a bank and simply waltz in and withdraw large amounts of that money without them being detained and investigated?? How do we know that he wasn't being kidnapped and extorted? How do we know he wasn't indeed robbing that bank?

Most bank robberies are done by signing a withdrawal slip with your name and account number on it; then handing it to a teller along with your ID - it's not always a matter of someone going into a bank with guns drawn. This guy may be some multi-millionaire director just because he directed some racist movie -- but he is clearly too dumb to know how to handle money. Hopefully this incident has taught him a much needed lesson.
/----/ I'm glad my Credit Union takes precautions to protect my money. Elderly people are fleeced daily by scammers, people's identities are stolen constatnly. How would any of you feel if you went to the bank and was told your balance was zero because someone drained the account that morning?

/----/ I'm glad my Credit Union takes precautions to protect my money. Elderly people are fleeced daily by scammers, people's identities are stolen constatnly. How would any of you feel if you went to the bank and was told your balance was zero because someone drained the account that morning?
My Credit Union gives me alerts of large withdrawals, they don’t call the police and have me handcuffed

Actually it is for most branches. Have you ever withdrawn that much cash?

No more than a few thousand
Many businesses will deal in amounts that large
Some people buying a car or boat will withdraw that much

No more than a few thousand
Many businesses will deal in amounts that large
Some people buying a car or boat will withdraw that much
Businesses rarely deal in cash. Wires and ACH payments mostly. The people you mention get bank checks not cash for such purposes.

Forum List

Back