Quick question about the Kurds and Syria.

Andylusion

Gold Member
Jan 23, 2014
Central Ohio
So when this first started years ago, I was all for the Kurds. I agreed with it, and thought we should support it.

When Trump decided to pull out, I was not super surprised, after all he ran on disengagement, and removing troops from deployed everywhere.

However, I was at first against it..... but that was without really thinking about it.

What was the big problem the left-wing had with Afghanistan, and Iraq, and the war on terror?

We saw it thousands of times. The complain was "It will never end! We'll be in those places forever!".

Now I disagreed with that. I believed that if we stuck it out, and waiting until Iraq was strong, and Afghanistan was strong, that we would pull out, and they would be able to fend for themselves.

But I admit I could have been wrong about that, and I did understand their concern that we would be stuck in Iraq until the end of time.

So fast forward to today.

Russia is in Syria, and backing the Assad regime.
Turkey is in Syria, and attacking Kurds near their border.

We're between them. We're with the Kurds, and you have Assad back by Russia on one side, and Turkey on the other.

So what is our strategy here?

In order to stabilize the situation, we would either have to wipe out Assad, which means confronting Russia... or we would have to wipe out Turkey.

Or we would have to say in Kurdish territory in Syria, until the end of time.

What am I missing? Do any of you see another situation?

Again, you back up 6 years, and Assad was isolated, and Turkey was not thrilled, but not confrontational...... Ok I can see the logic here. Assad is removed, Kurds make a pact with the new government of Syria..... life goes on.

But after Turkey had a failed coup, and became beligerant, and Russia was invited in by Obama, to back Assad.....

What is our game plan for staying in there? Just asking an honest question. If we stayed in.... what's our end game plan?

So when this first started years ago, I was all for the Kurds. I agreed with it, and thought we should support it.

When Trump decided to pull out, I was not super surprised, after all he ran on disengagement, and removing troops from deployed everywhere.

However, I was at first against it..... but that was without really thinking about it.

What was the big problem the left-wing had with Afghanistan, and Iraq, and the war on terror?

We saw it thousands of times. The complain was "It will never end! We'll be in those places forever!".

Now I disagreed with that. I believed that if we stuck it out, and waiting until Iraq was strong, and Afghanistan was strong, that we would pull out, and they would be able to fend for themselves.

But I admit I could have been wrong about that, and I did understand their concern that we would be stuck in Iraq until the end of time.

We're between them. We're with the Kurds, and you have Assad back by Russia on one side, and Turkey on the other.

In order to stabilize the situation, we would either have to wipe out Assad, which means confronting Russia... or we would have to wipe out Turkey.

Again, you back up 6 years, and Assad was isolated, and Turkey was not thrilled, but not confrontational...... Ok I can see the logic here. Assad is removed, Kurds make a pact with the new government of Syria..... life goes on.

But after Turkey had a failed coup, and became beligerant, and Russia was invited in by Obama, to back Assad.....

What is our game plan for staying in there? Just asking an honest question. If we stayed in.... what's our end game plan?
No problem with pulling out, just not in the way this all happened. There should be a strategy involved wouldn’t you agree?

"We were dealt a bad hand by History."

Kurdish leader resignedly commenting on the european powers' decision to split the kurdish homeland and give parts of it to 4 neighboring countries after WWI.

You're completely missing the point.

Yup, you nailed it.

The kurds didn't want a peace plan with turkey...but they didn't want us to leave either...turkey wasn't being cooperative either.

Step back, let them fight...step back in after a few days & they are agreeing to things they wouldn't have 3 days ago!

And it took the brilliance of Donald J Trump to pull it off!

It's still not a done deal & could unravel at any time...But I give POTUS alot of credit for trying something new (nothing else has worked in the last 10 years).

Forum List

Back