Questions - What is the difference between Moderator and Senior Moderator. Also, what is "Staff Member" and "Administrator?"

Jim H - VA USA

Plutonium Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 19, 2020
1693422079871.png
1693423020898.png

I have wondered about this for a long time.

Obviously, a senior moderator has all the power of a moderator, but what super powers do they have? 🪄 🦸‍♂️:flameth:

Also, what does Staff member mean? Does that have anything to do with moderation such as defining moderation rules, or is it related to site functionality, or does it mean you are paid, or what?

Also, what is "Administrator?" Is that a site programmer?

I would appreciate a serious reply from a USMB authority figure. you guys put these banners up. It would be nice if they were explained.

Funny replies from USMB minions are also warmly welcomed.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
View attachment 822540 View attachment 822550

Obviously, a senior moderator has all the power of a moderator, but what super powers do they have? 🪄 🦸‍♂️:flameth:

Also, what does Staff member mean? Does that have anything to do with moderation such as defining moderation rules, or is it related to site functionality, or does it mean you are paid, or what?

I would appreciate a serious reply from a USMB authority figure. you guys put these banners up. It would be nice if they were explained.

Thanks very much.

Apparently,

giphy.gif

View attachment 822540 View attachment 822550

Thanks very much.
Think of Admin as being the site owners, Senior Mods as being the ones to take most of the abuse from forum members, and Mods as our slaves whipping posts. All in all, every mod has been called many things by many people here, but regardless of that, we all do our best to keep this place from turning into a cesspool of one-sidedness that has become the norm in society.

Think of Admin as being the site owners, Senior Mods as being the ones to take most of the abuse from forum members, and Mods as our slaves whipping posts. All in all, every mod has been called many things by many people here, but regardless of that, we all do our best to keep this place from turning into a cesspool of one-sidedness that has become the norm in society.
There's a saying, "It doesn't matter how good you are, you're always an arsehole in someone's story".

Thanks.

I noticed the Staff Member banner has changed to a tag, which makes sense.

Namecalling is childish, and the variety of opinions here is indeed its most valuable feature.

AND...you don't get paid for it, either. Takes some major bravery to do that and get what you get. Well, except you getting much hassle from the way you herd us cats. You are loved. :huddle:

And to answer the OPs question..think of it as a business, which it is.

Owner=administrator.
Senior Staff moderator=manager of the business.
Moderator=unpaid employees who keep the business flowing per staff policy given by Manager in behalf of Administrator.

When I had my board so many moons ago..I did the same thing, BUT...I paid my mods/mgr. And I appointed 2 other admins with all the powers I had as owner of that board. One screwed up by abusing those policies laid out and after confering with the other two admins I appointed to assist me, we let that person go. The actions of someone with "power" over the members that abuses it was not tolerated. No members? No board. Obvious choice, and we made it. Worked out well for a number of years, too.

Forum List

Back