Zone1 Question about Genesis.

BrickHouse88

Mar 5, 2022
Serious question: How did God create light on the first day if he didn’t create the sun, moon, and stars until the 4th day?

Serious question: How did God create light on the first day if he didn’t create the sun, moon, and stars until the 4th day?
So obviously the first day was not according to the sun and a day as we reckon one now.

2 Peter 3:8
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

So obviously the first day was not according to the sun and a day as we reckon one now.

2 Peter 3:8
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Yes in the end, with a new heaven and earth, darkness will disappear. And God will be our eternal light.

But clearly, God references the evening and the morning being one day. The sun has nothing to do with a day. That is measured by one revolution of the earth.

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Yes in the end, with a new heaven and earth, darkness will disappear. And God will be our eternal light.

But clearly, God references the evening and the morning being one day. The sun has nothing to do with a day. That is measured by one revolution of the earth.

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
True, the earth's days are determined by the rotation of the earth. However, what we know as a day now is one revolution in relation to the sun. If the earth was not even in its current solar system, can we assume that the earth was still rotating at the same speed it is now rotating at? I believe that the earth was created near the kingdom of heaven and the days that were being counted were according to the Lord's time. Now if there was a morning and an evening, perhaps this was due to the earth rotating more slowly. But apparently it was in relation to another source of light since the sun and moon were not brought near the earth until the 4th day. So where ever the earth was during the first days of creation, it may not have needed to rotate at its current rotation speed. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe it was not until after the seven days of creation that the earth received its current time of reckoning.

Abraham 3:1-4
1 And I, Abraham, had the Urim and Thummim, which the Lord my God had given unto me, in Ur of the Chaldees;
2 And I saw the stars, that they were very great, and that one of them was nearest unto the throne of God; and there were many great ones which were near unto it;
3 And the Lord said unto me: These are the governing ones; and the name of the great one is Kolob, because it is near unto me, for I am the Lord thy God: I have set this one to govern all those which belong to the same order as that upon which thou standest.
4 And the Lord said unto me, by the Urim and Thummim, that Kolob was after the manner of the Lord, according to its times and seasons in the revolutions thereof; that one revolution was a day unto the Lord, after his manner of reckoning, it being one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest. This is the reckoning of the Lord’s time, according to the reckoning of Kolob.

Abraham 5:
11 And the Gods took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden, to dress it and to keep it.
12 And the Gods commanded the man, saying: Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat,
13 But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it; for in the time that thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die. Now I, Abraham, saw that it was after the Lord’s time, which was after the time of Kolob; for as yet the Gods had not appointed unto Adam his reckoning.

So even though the sun and moon were brought into relation with the earth, Adam was not given his current time of reckoning until after the seven days of creation according to the Book of Abraham.

So even though the sun and moon were brought into relation with the earth, Adam was not given his current time of reckoning until after the seven days of creation according to the Book of Abraham.

So, you believe it took God thousands and thousands of years to create the earth and heavens?

Sorry. but I don't. We'll just have to disagree and rejoice in our belief in a creator.

How did God create light on the first day if he didn’t create the sun, moon, and stars until the 4th day?

The Bible is in great part metaphorical, related and handed down to man in parts and not any direct eyewitness accounts.

When God said Let There Be Light, he might have been referring to the universe becoming transparent to light or light from some superluminal source long since gone. Or maybe there already were stars.

And God's saying on the fourth day about the Greater and Lesser light and the stars, he might have been referring to the lighting of the Sun and the illumination of the moon as a result, and the circumsolar nebular clouds finally getting blown away and broken up enough to start seeing the stars farther out beyond local space.

The Sun and moon were placed in the heavens by God to mark the seasons and days.

He appointed the moon for seasons: the sun knoweth his going down. psalm 104:19

Because two creation stories were combined. Israel and Judea had slightly different stories.

Return to basic science. A nebula (also known as the birthplace of stars) emits light.

Also return to basic Hebrew. Just as 'in our day' in English vernacular indicates a period of time longer than 24 hours, 'day' in Hebrew often indicates a time period longer than 24 hours. It is simply a period of time where something started and ended--and could cover eons.

Try starting with God created a nebula on the first day and you have your light, and also the beginning of the formation of suns and moons.

It is interesting that the Lord told Adam and Eve that in the day they would eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil that they would surely die.

Genesis 2:16-17
16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Adam's actual life span was 930 years. Interesting that he lived many days after eating of the fruit according to our current time of reckoning. However, if one day to the Lord was 1000 years, and if they were going by God's time, Adam did die within the day.

Genesis 5:5
5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died. 6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos:.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back