Putting The Middle East In Perspective: A Student's Four-month Journey Through Amman, Istanbul, The

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Perhaps some of the viewers will like to follow Mr. Robbins' blog as he travels around in the Middle East.

Putting the Middle East in Perspective: A student's four-month journey through Amman, Istanbul, the Dead Sea, and Syrian refugee camps in rural Jordan

15866673-mmmain.jpg

A view of one of the souks, a type of flea market, located in downtown Amman. (Photo by Matt Robbins)
By The Republican Editorials
on September 17, 2014 at 10:41 AM, updated September 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM

By Matthew Robbins

A little over a week ago, I was sitting in JFK airport waiting for my 11-hour flight to Amman, Jordan– the place that would become my new home during my four-month study abroad program, and where I will be conducting an extensive research project on Jordan’s healthcare system in terms of financing and economic development. Not once did I, a native of Western Massachusetts who considered uprooting and moving to Florida for college a big life change, believe that I would ever end up here. During the weeks leading up to my trip, I became accustomed to the concerned reactions I was getting after I responded to the inevitable, “Where are you studying abroad?”

Yes, I realize there is an immense amount of conflict surrounding the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan (the countries bordering Jordan include Syria, Israel, and Iraq). I, however, believe this is the best time to be here. The world shifted its focus to this region at the start of the Arab spring in 2011 and hasn’t turned away since. More specifically, I and my fellow colleagues chose a compelling time to study the healthcare system in the Middle East, with upwards of 1.4 million Syrian refugees now settled across rural pockets of Jordan. In addition to this, the Kingdom is also dealing with a devastating shortage of water exacerbated by an increasing refugee population– Jordan ranks as the third worst country in the world in terms of water shortage. Upon looking at the region from this perspective, one might develop an altered perception of what life is really like here.

Continue reading at:

Putting the Middle East in Perspective A student s four-month journey through Amman Istanbul the Dead Sea and Syrian refugee camps in rural Jordan masslive.com?

Forum List

Back