Prospective impeachment oath violations: GOP senators caught between a rock and a hard place

Denizen

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2018
Any senator who has proclaimed their impeachment voting position ahead of the Senate impeachment trial is in danger of violating their oath and being expelled from jury duty by the Chief Justice.

It is arguable that a number of GOP senators are publicly stating that they will not abide by their oath of office, nor the oath for the impeachment trial.

Is it indeed possible that the Chief Justice will disqualify GOP senators form the impeachment jury on the basis that their public statements imply they are falsely swearing the oath for the trial?

Has McConnell and Graham and their ilk actually disqualified themselves from the impeachment jury?

It is an interesting argument that GOP senators could be violating their oaths ahead of the swearing-in of the jury in order to be disqualified from the impeachment jury so they are not seen to be voting for impeachment.

Or, could senators who are publicly supporting Trump be able to justify flipping and their vote to impeach or a non-vote by claiming the oath made them do it.

May you live in interesting times.

How Will Republican Senators Honor Their Impeachment Oaths? | Washington Monthly

How Will Republican Senators Honor Their Impeachment Oaths?
by Martin LongmanDecember 16, 2019POLITICAL ANIMAL

It’s not often that I cite William Kristol favorably, but he and Jeffrey Tulis have an important piece in The Bulwark. It focuses on an important constitutional requirement of any impeachment trial.

The key to the system working as it should is the understanding that the Senate as a court of impeachment is a different institution than the Senate as usual. When the Senate moves to become an impeachment court, senators take a new oath. At that moment the institution transforms itself.

That’s why, according to Article I, section 3, clause 6 of the Constitution, senators, when sitting on a trial of impeachment, “shall be on Oath or Affirmation.” Of course, when elected to the Senate, all senators swear an oath to uphold the Constitution. But the senators, when sitting as a court, are asked to take an additional oath. It is a juror’s and judge’s oath—not a legislator’s oath.

Rule XXV of the Senate Rules in Impeachment Trials provides the text: “I solemnly swear (or affirm) that in all things appertaining to the trial of ____, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws, so help me God.”

The exact wording of the oath could be changed, but the oath itself is the Senate’s answer to language of the Constitution itself. I don’t think modern Americans take oaths very seriously compared to our ancestors, but they used to be something people were very reluctant to break. ...

You know, it's really stupid for them to say that they are going to vote against impeachment before they hear the evidence at a trial.

You know, it's really stupid for them to say that they are going to vote against impeachment before they hear the evidence at a trial.
Do you think they were on Mars during the Schiff charade?....they heard the evidence...and there is none....zero...you can't tell me one impeachable offense with a straight face...

And every dem senator running for president should be removed from the trial as they all said Trump should be impeached

Oh spare us the bullshit every Democrat on the House committies knew how they were going to vote before they ever heard a single word from a single witness so did the Republicans both parties House and Senate knew how they were going to vote on this long ago.

i-need-to-report-some-hypocrisy-42750748.png

Any senator who has proclaimed their impeachment voting position ahead of the Senate impeachment trial is in danger of violating their oath and being expelled from jury duty by the Chief Justice.

It is arguable that a number of GOP senators are publicly stating that they will not abide by their oath of office, nor the oath for the impeachment trial.

Is it indeed possible that the Chief Justice will disqualify GOP senators form the impeachment jury on the basis that their public statements imply they are falsely swearing the oath for the trial?

Has McConnell and Graham and their ilk actually disqualified themselves from the impeachment jury?

It is an interesting argument that GOP senators could be violating their oaths ahead of the swearing-in of the jury in order to be disqualified from the impeachment jury so they are not seen to be voting for impeachment.

Or, could senators who are publicly supporting Trump be able to justify flipping and their vote to impeach or a non-vote by claiming the oath made them do it.

How Will Republican Senators Honor Their Impeachment Oaths? | Washington Monthly

It’s not often that I cite William Kristol favorably, but he and Jeffrey Tulis have an important piece in The Bulwark. It focuses on an important constitutional requirement of any impeachment trial.

The key to the system working as it should is the understanding that the Senate as a court of impeachment is a different institution than the Senate as usual. When the Senate moves to become an impeachment court, senators take a new oath. At that moment the institution transforms itself.

That’s why, according to Article I, section 3, clause 6 of the Constitution, senators, when sitting on a trial of impeachment, “shall be on Oath or Affirmation.” Of course, when elected to the Senate, all senators swear an oath to uphold the Constitution. But the senators, when sitting as a court, are asked to take an additional oath. It is a juror’s and judge’s oath—not a legislator’s oath.

Rule XXV of the Senate Rules in Impeachment Trials provides the text: “I solemnly swear (or affirm) that in all things appertaining to the trial of ____, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws, so help me God.”

The exact wording of the oath could be changed, but the oath itself is the Senate’s answer to language of the Constitution itself. I don’t think modern Americans take oaths very seriously compared to our ancestors, but they used to be something people were very reluctant to break. ...

You are one of the biggest LIARS and ignorant sacks of SHIT in this forum.

These Dimwinger Senators announced their position well before the Schitt Show started:

Fauxcohontas Warren
Commie Bernie
Spartacus Booker
Kamaltoe Harris.

I will await your outrage.............................

Actually, Pelosi has threatened to withhold campaign funds from any Democrat in the House of Representatives who doesn't vote for impeachment...

And to release the funds to any Democrat that votes FOR impeachment!!!

Can we say BRIBERY???

Any Democrat in the House of Representatives that SELL THEIR VOTE should be ARRESTED AND PUT ON TRIAL FOR ACCEPTING BRIBES IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE VOTE IS CONCLUDED, AND THEIR VOTE STRICKEN FROM THE RECORD!!!

Is that a gun in your pocket?

That's the nicest thing you have ever posted about me. You must be warming to me.

Or, perhaps I cured your constipation.

These Dimwinger Senators announced their position well before the Schitt Show started:

Fauxcohontas Warren
Commie Bernie
Spartacus Booker
Kamaltoe Harris.

I will await your outrage.............................

The trial is in the Senate. They have not made statements about their duty in the Senate.

Please don't thank me.

The Senate will put a quick end to this and the 2020 election season will begin. The Democrats were fools to attempt to remove Trump based on this scam. The Democrats pulled all this non sense and there was never an upside for them. I think the Dems would have held the House if they had avoided impeachment. Now, they are toast. The ultimate sign will be when Hillary will be brought at as the Savior to run for a 3rd time. It is amazing anyone thought Joe Biden could win, when he couldn't compete when he much younger and way sharper than what we see today.

That's the nicest thing you have ever posted about me. You must be warming to me.

If you came across a girl like her with a gun, it wouldn't be in her pocket.

Just sayin'.

Republican Senators flipping when confronted with their Oath vs. their Party?

Interesting construct.

Frankly, I doubt they have the balls, but stranger things have happened in Washington.

After all, it WOULD be a way for the GOP to dump the Orange Clusterphukk and retain their honor and their constituencies.

And, of course, a great many of them hate The Creature almost as much as the Democrats do.

Hell... all it takes is one man (or woman) in the Senate GOP to find their courage, to start the domino effect.

If you came across a girl like her with a gun, it wouldn't be in her pocket.

Just sayin'.

Because she would be naked and demanding?

Forum List

Back