Prop gun fired by Alex Baldwin on movie set loaded with ‘a live single round’, says Hollywood union

If I remember correctly Brandon Lee was also killed on a set with a "Prop" gun.... The question is why are these guns loaded with live rounds if they're supposed to be loaded with blanks? Shouldn't the actors be responsible when they're handling weapons as everyone one else is?
When handled a weapon the first thing I do is open the breech and unload it to make sure it's safe while i'm handling it.
One would hope so.

What humor?

I was being serious.

You think this was an intentional attack? Now I find humour in that statement if you actually believe it.

As for the NRA being sued, as he is a Hollywood Creature, that's more plausible in reality than him assassinating someone on set.

Still can't understand why it's being called a "prop gun". If it can fire live rounds its a gun. So that begs the question why in the hell is Hollywood using real guns?

Because they always have. Back in the old days they had expert marksmen shoot them near the actors til Cagney looked at one setup and said he would get hit by ricochets so he wouldn't do the shot.

They tested it and found he was correct. That led them to figuring out how to blank adapt machine guns.

I've never held a gun before and this is immediately on top of mind for me. I don't even pass a knife to someone blade first.
I have taken one session of firearms instruction and I can tell already the whole story is hinky. Plus, I have a naturally acquired bias against Baldwin and hope with all my heart that he eats it over this.

real prop-guns don't have a kick
clinteastwoodadhakd.gif

I have taken one session of firearms instruction and I can tell already the whole story is hinky. Plus, I have a naturally acquired bias against Baldwin and hope with all my heart that he eats it over this.
My gut tells me there is more to this than just a “freak” accident.

Question is will Hollywood circle the wagons or be honest?

Like was Alec joking around while pointing the weapon….

If there were 20 witnesses and potentially a camera rolling, he might be one of the dumbest in Hollywood.

Regardless, there is no way a competent propmaster would allow a live round anywhere near a movie set. Local 44 is a pretty damned good group, so I am really curious how this is going to turn.

Because they always have. Back in the old days they had expert marksmen shoot them near the actors til Cagney looked at one setup and said he would get hit by ricochets so he wouldn't do the shot.

They tested it and found he was correct. That led them to figuring out how to blank adapt machine guns.

You're right blank firing semi-auto and full auto weapons have to be specially modified because they don't work well in regular guns, the blow back is less than in firing live rounds fire.
In this particular case a frevolver was used and the prop manager would have had to check the weapon before it was used on the set.. The question is why didn't Alec Baldwin check the weapon handed to him? Completely irresponsible for Baldwin and he needs to account for his incompetence.

Last edited:
You're right blank firing semi-auto and full auto weapons have to be specially modified because they don't work well in regular guns, the blow back is less than in firing live rounds fire.

They simply won't function period. The work to modify a luger is an example. Even if you completely seal the barrel, a blank won't cycle it. Instead the propmaster drills holes in the top of the side rails and screws in a small set screw on either side so that the action never completely closes.

You do understand that one can be held accountable for an accident they cause???

of course.

You, on the other hand, seem to believe that the only characterization of what occurred can be "murder".

That's stupid and ignorant...

Sure, when the gun is supposed to be loaded with non-lethal rounds, definitely...

It doesn't matter. ALL actors are instructed to NEVER point the weapon, even if only loaded with blanks, directly at the other actors.

PERIOD.

Forum List

Back