Prominent scientist dares to ask: Has the COVID-19 response gone too far?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
An interesting read that gives two sides of the debate. The problem is the media have been so biased for so long, it's impossible to know if they push an agenda for easy cash in the system or, if the reaction is warranted. Many don't care about the consequences and many hoped for the economy to crash if it meant hurting Trump chances in 2020.

So odd isn't it? It would be different if there was a willingness to talk about the source of the virus and to discuss things rationally, give Trump credit early. However, compare their reaction now to when Obama dealt with H1N1. This bias by media can't be the norm. It's dangerous, especially in an election year.

I'm not saying this virus isn't dangerous or should be taken lightly (I doubt the scientist is either). I'm not a scientist, it's just my opinion and ideas need to be raised. There clearly has to be a strong response and Trump is using the full weight of government to address this. I'm saying, he has no choice, the panic has already set in, drastic measures were impossible to avoid.

I just hope the world focuses on the economy, normality, as well as health, because one is related to the other. Anyone whose had their career destroyed and opportunities stolen can tell you, it has a major impact on their existence. Let's not hurt generations by NOT spending and doing our best to remain normal, in a different way at least in the short term.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-covid-pandemic-response-scientists-1.5502423

It's a clash of titans — an epic battle between two famous scientists over the world's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In one corner, influential Stanford University epidemiologist John Ioannidis, who wrote a commentary asking whether taking such drastic action to combat the pandemic without evidence it will work is a "fiasco in the making."

Across the mat, prominent Harvard epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch punched back with a defiant response titled: "We know enough now to act decisively against COVID-19."

Watching from the sidelines? Everybody else. The people who worry the world has gone too far too fast.

And those afraid the response hasn't come fast enough.

The debate comes down to questions about data. What is the true fatality rate of COVID-19? How many people are already infected?

"Better information is needed to guide decisions and actions of monumental significance and to monitor their impact," Ioannidis wrote. "In the absence of data, prepare-for-the-worst reasoning leads to extreme measures of social distancing and lockdowns. Unfortunately, we do not know if these measures work."

Ioannidis told CBC News he worries about the consequences of those measures.

"Put a stall to the entire economy. Tell people to stay at their homes, get depressed, commit suicide, domestic violence. Who knows? Child abuse, children losing their education, companies crashing … unemployment, the stock market already dropping 20 per cent.

"Is that the solution?"

Last edited:
An interesting read that gives two sides of the debate. The problem is the media have been so biased for so long, it's impossible to know if they push an agenda for easy cash in the system or, if the reaction is warranted. Many don't care about the consequences and many hoped for the economy to crash if it meant hurting Trump chances in 2020.

So odd isn't it? It would be different if there was a willingness to talk about the source of the virus and to discuss things rationally, give Trump credit early. However, compare their reaction now to when Obama dealt with H1N1. This bias by media can't be the norm. It's dangerous, especially in an election year.

I'm not saying this virus isn't dangerous or should be taken lightly (I doubt the scientist is either). I'm not a scientist, it's just my opinion and ideas need to be raised. There clearly has to be a strong response and Trump is using the full weight of government to address this. I'm saying, he has no choice, the panic has already set in, drastic measures were impossible to avoid.

I just hope the world focuses on the economy, normality, as well as health, because one is related to the other. Anyone whose had their career destroyed and opportunities stolen can tell you, it has a major impact on their existence. Let's not hurt generations by NOT spending and doing our best to remain normal, in a different way at least in the short term.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-covid-pandemic-response-scientists-1.5502423

It's a clash of titans — an epic battle between two famous scientists over the world's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In one corner, influential Stanford University epidemiologist John Ioannidis, who wrote a commentary asking whether taking such drastic action to combat the pandemic without evidence it will work is a "fiasco in the making."

Across the mat, prominent Harvard epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch punched back with a defiant response titled: "We know enough now to act decisively against COVID-19."

Watching from the sidelines? Everybody else. The people who worry the world has gone too far too fast.

And those afraid the response hasn't come fast enough.

The debate comes down to questions about data. What is the true fatality rate of COVID-19? How many people are already infected?

"Better information is needed to guide decisions and actions of monumental significance and to monitor their impact," Ioannidis wrote. "In the absence of data, prepare-for-the-worst reasoning leads to extreme measures of social distancing and lockdowns. Unfortunately, we do not know if these measures work."

Ioannidis told CBC News he worries about the consequences of those measures.

"Put a stall to the entire economy. Tell people to stay at their homes, get depressed, commit suicide, domestic violence. Who knows? Child abuse, children losing their education, companies crashing … unemployment, the stock market already dropping 20 per cent.

"Is that the solution?"

Look at it this way: we have taken unprecedented, herculean steps guaranteed to devastate our economy and society to stave off a threat which merely offered the potential of doing so.

Kind of like our response to terrorism. We have resorted to terrorizing ourselves to limit the chances of someone else doing it to us first.

And for what? Mostly to limit the total deaths from Covid of people whom the data is showing as the main victims of corona were already so old and sick, they had one foot in the grave already and corona was just the final push.

lol.......our surgeon general was on TV this morning talking about how China has mitigated the spread. Zero new cases as of today. In a country that has over 1 billion population where most exist in areas of public filth! OKAY!!

Five weeks ago, I saw a vid from a hospital in Wuhan.......lines hundreds of yards ( YARDS ) long through this single hospital. People one foot from each other coughing their lungs up. But happy now!! I'm not saying it.......our surgeon general is!!

d0y

These thousands of kids swapping spit on Florida beaches. Who is tracking them? Lets see where these people are in two weeks!! But we wont........d0y.:abgg2q.jpg:

lol.......our surgeon general was on TV this morning talking about how China has mitigated the spread. Zero new cases as of today. In a country that has over 1 billion population where most exist in areas of public filth! OKAY!!

Five weeks ago, I saw a vid from a hospital in Wuhan.......lines hundreds of yards ( YARDS ) long through this single hospital. People one foot from each other coughing their lungs up. But happy now!! I'm not saying it.......our surgeon general is!!

d0y

These thousands of kids swapping spit on Florida beaches. Who is tracking them? Lets see where these people are in two weeks!! But we wont........d0y.:abgg2q.jpg:

Yet, some don't want it called the "Chinese Virus". Maybe if MSM started asking questions about China, the world wouldn't need to be reminded every day. How come only Fox ask questions about the trustworthiness of China? CNN MSNBC are blaming Trump for this virus, when their sheep have to be reminded, this came from Communist CHINA.

Whether developed or coming from bat soup (didn't they use that excuse last time for SARS?), they refused to share information with America and the world. Refused help from CDC. This virus confirms, that they do not view the world or America as an ally, but as some to be destroyed. They don't care about your health or your economy. They don't care about the world. They care about success for the Communist Party.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back