Programming language

shoshi

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2020
What was the first you learned? Python? or something else such as SQL or html?

I recommend Python because it has so many applications and looks good on your resume. Gives you good base for learning other languages. SQL is from 1974 and you still need it today for data analysis. impressive.

1617828910014.png

ASCII

*****SMILE*****

:)

I played around with Basic (just "Basic") and command line, DOS and Unix scripts but didn't get serious until I started application programming in the unique languages they used. Eventually they matured and all use Python now. I also did a bunch of javascript, asp, aspx, and php to build some web sites. Good times. I can't recall how many OS I learned that don't exist anymore.

I played around with Basic (just "Basic") and command line, DOS and Unix scripts but didn't get serious until I started application programming in the unique languages they used. Eventually they matured and all use Python now. I also did a bunch of javascript, asp, aspx, and php to build some web sites. Good times. I can't recall how many OS I learned that don't exist anymore.

javascript is good to know. every interactive website uses it. Did you find it more difficult to learn than Python?

javascript is good to know. every interactive website uses it. Did you find it more difficult to learn than Python?
Hard to say, the Javascript I used was NOT the asynchronous stuff we have today. If I had to guess, I'd say Python is the easiest language (and the most useful) if only because it has the largest community behind it. It won't do everything great but it will do everything. A Swiss Army knife of a language.

I started with C. There are some advantages to that - you'll have a better handle on how memory management works and you'll learn to work with fewer "conveniences". But it's probably more fun to start with something that will give you quicker results - Javascript, Ruby, Python.

SQL and HTML are supporting languages with a very specific purposes designed in (querying for data and rendering webpages, respectively). You'll probably need them, depending on what kind of programming you want to do, but there's no point in starting there.

Hard to say, the Javascript I used was NOT the asynchronous stuff we have today. If I had to guess, I'd say Python is the easiest language (and the most useful) if only because it has the largest community behind it. It won't do everything great but it will do everything. A Swiss Army knife of a language.

Modern Javascript has moved far beyond its original purpose (scripting for web pages). The async-first mindset can make for some confusing code to a newb. It's also makes it possible to write some really bad code, that never-the-less, kinda-sorta works. Something like Ruby or Python might be a better place to start.

The real key is to find something you want to make, and do it. Grab whatever tools get the job done. I think that's the best way to learn.

Modern Javascript has moved far beyond its original purpose (scripting for web pages). The async-first mindset can make for some confusing code to a newb. It's also makes it possible to write some really bad code, that never-the-less, kinda-sorta works. Something like Ruby or Python might be a better place to start.

The real key is to find something you want to make, and do it. Grab whatever tools get the job done. I think that's the best way to learn.
I want a Bunny Ranch in Mizzouri like they have in Vegas....

Power Basic. Wrote my tranny shop software with it. 40,000 lines of code and sold several copies too.

Forum List

Back