Profit, Fraud, Deception Drove Cold War "Defense" Spending.

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Perhaps you still believe "national security" was behind the billion$ of taxpayer dollars that went to for-profit defense contractors between 1945 and Fukuyama's End of History?

Cold War Radar System a Trillion Dollar Fraud - Lester Ernest on RAI (1/4)

"Profit and deception drove cold-war militarization, says Lester Earnest, founder of the Artificial Intelligence Lab at Stanford; Earnest says the anti-nuclear bomber SAGE radar system never worked and carried on for 25 years."

Earnest refers to himself as a young man who was a right-wing Republican racist firmly committed to fighting communism in the mid 1950s.

His views began to shift when he went to work on Boeing's ground-to-air missile system called Bomarc, as he relates in this TRNN interview with Paul Jay:

"LESTER EARNEST: ...(Bomarc) was a series of radars all across North America that could supposedly track bombers. And then both manned interceptors of various kinds, like Lockheed and [Convair] aircraft. Boeing had a ground-to-air missile system called the Bomarc. And the idea was to then shoot down any incoming bombers.

"PAUL JAY: So it was essentially a radar system, is what was being created at MIT.

"LESTER EARNEST: Correct.

"PAUL JAY: And you get hired to be part of this.

LESTER EARNEST: Yes. They hired me specifically to design the guidance and control system for the manned interceptors and missiles that were going to shoot at the bombers. However, on my first day there, I was assigned to share an office with a fellow who was already working there.

"This was in MIT’s so-called Lincoln Laboratory in suburban Boston.

"And I asked him what he did. His name was Paul [Senase].

"He said, in a Boston accent, 'I work on rada datar.'... So I said, what do you do about radar jamming? He said, we don’t do that. I thought he was kidding, because if you can’t deal with radar jamming, since all bombers since World War II do it, you’re out of business as an air defense system.

"Well, it turns out he was not kidding, as I confirmed shortly.

"And I kept bringing this up to people in higher levels, and they started holding big conferences trying to figure out a way around this problem, with no success.

"The problem is that with radar jamming you get lots of radar data coming in; more than a computer can deal with. So it would just jam up and fail.

"Well, they carefully avoided this problem.

"They were giving demonstrations of this system over time, in which... they always used bombers that did not use jamming.

"And of course the Russian spies who were observing all of this with instrumentation would know that this was a fake system. But they kept it going for 25 years.

"PAUL JAY: This fraud for 25 years.

"LESTER EARNEST: Total fraud for 25 years."

Hundreds of billion$ over a quarter-century for corporate welfare fraud in just this one example.

So you mean to say that the Pentagon is no different than HUD, the Department of Energy, and food stamps?!?

ShockedFace.jpg

From the above-

Yes. They hired me specifically to design the guidance and control system for the manned interceptors and missiles that were going to shoot at the bomber

Yet he wasn’t even there when they began work on the system. And when he left there he was hired by someone else to work on word processing.

His story does not jive.

Perhaps you still believe "national security" was behind the billion$ of taxpayer dollars that went to for-profit defense contractors between 1945 and Fukuyama's End of History?

"Profit and deception drove cold-war militarization, says Lester Earnest, founder of the Artificial Intelligence Lab at Stanford; Earnest says the anti-nuclear bomber SAGE radar system never worked and carried on for 25 years."

Earnest refers to himself as a young man who was a right-wing Republican racist firmly committed to fighting communism in the mid 1950s.

His views began to shift when he went to work on Boeing's ground-to-air missile system called Bomarc, as he relates in this TRNN interview with Paul Jay:

"LESTER EARNEST: ...(Bomarc) was a series of radars all across North America that could supposedly track bombers. And then both manned interceptors of various kinds, like Lockheed and [Convair] aircraft. Boeing had a ground-to-air missile system called the Bomarc. And the idea was to then shoot down any incoming bombers.

"PAUL JAY: So it was essentially a radar system, is what was being created at MIT.

LESTER EARNEST: Yes. They hired me specifically to design the guidance and control system for the manned interceptors and missiles that were going to shoot at the bombers. However, on my first day there, I was assigned to share an office with a fellow who was already working there.

"He said, in a Boston accent, 'I work on rada datar.'... So I said, what do you do about radar jamming? He said, we don’t do that. I thought he was kidding, because if you can’t deal with radar jamming, since all bombers since World War II do it, you’re out of business as an air defense system.

"And I kept bringing this up to people in higher levels, and they started holding big conferences trying to figure out a way around this problem, with no success.

"The problem is that with radar jamming you get lots of radar data coming in; more than a computer can deal with. So it would just jam up and fail.

"They were giving demonstrations of this system over time, in which... they always used bombers that did not use jamming.

"And of course the Russian spies who were observing all of this with instrumentation would know that this was a fake system. But they kept it going for 25 years.

Hundreds of billion$ over a quarter-century for corporate welfare fraud in just this one example.

So you mean to say that the Pentagon is no different than HUD, the Department of Energy, and food stamps?!?

View attachment 237276
Are you more shocked when the US military lies to you about graft and corruption?

"PAUL JAY: But the military must have known, too; the people that were buying this stuff. I mean, they’re spending the money on it.

"LESTER EARNEST: Yeah, but they don’t care. The important thing to them is to have a good life; that is, to have a lot of money to do things with.

"PAUL JAY: And it also helps justify their existence, that they are developing this wonderful defense system that will protect everyone from a threat that they maybe know isn’t coming.

"LESTER EARNEST: Yeah. And they put out propaganda films showing interceptors intercepting bombers, just like people today are putting out films showing anti-ballistic missile systems taking down missiles, which are also bogus. But that’s another story.

"PAUL JAY: While you’re there, you’re asked to design how to put a nuclear warhead on a Bomarc missile, which is supposed to shoot down...."

View attachment 237276
Are you more shocked when the US military lies to you about graft and corruption?

"PAUL JAY: But the military must have known, too; the people that were buying this stuff. I mean, they’re spending the money on it.

"LESTER EARNEST: Yeah, but they don’t care. The important thing to them is to have a good life; that is, to have a lot of money to do things with.

"PAUL JAY: And it also helps justify their existence, that they are developing this wonderful defense system that will protect everyone from a threat that they maybe know isn’t coming.

"LESTER EARNEST: Yeah. And they put out propaganda films showing interceptors intercepting bombers, just like people today are putting out films showing anti-ballistic missile systems taking down missiles, which are also bogus. But that’s another story.

"PAUL JAY: While you’re there, you’re asked to design how to put a nuclear warhead on a Bomarc missile, which is supposed to shoot down...."
Why would I be surprised when gubmint stooges lie?...It's what they do.

From the above-

Yes. They hired me specifically to design the guidance and control system for the manned interceptors and missiles that were going to shoot at the bomber

Yet he wasn’t even there when they began work on the system. And when he left there he was hired by someone else to work on word processing.

His story does not jive.

Les Earnest - Wikipedia

"Lester Donald Earnest
(born December 17, 1930) is a United States computer scientist.

"After receiving his B.S. in electrical engineering from the California Institute of Technology (CalTech) in 1953, he began his career as a computer programmer in 1954 during a stint as a U.S. Navy Aviation Electronics Officer & Digital Computer Project Officer at the Naval Air Development Center (NADC) in Johnsville, Pennsylvania.[1]

"In 1956, he joined the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)'s Lincoln Laboratory to help design the Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) air defense system.[1]

"In 1959, the focus of his career shifted to innovations within the field of word processing."

I'm not clear why you believe a career change after becoming aware of rampant fraud on a taxpayer-funded air defense system means Earnest's testimony should not be believed?

I checked dates on all the aspects of the programs vs when he was supposedly there.
From the above-

His story does not jive.

Les Earnest - Wikipedia

"Lester Donald Earnest

"After receiving his B.S. in electrical engineering from the California Institute of Technology (CalTech) in 1953, he began his career as a computer programmer in 1954 during a stint as a U.S. Navy Aviation Electronics Officer & Digital Computer Project Officer at the Naval Air Development Center (NADC) in Johnsville, Pennsylvania.[1]

"In 1956, he joined the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)'s Lincoln Laboratory to help design the Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) air defense system.[1]

"In 1959, the focus of his career shifted to innovations within the field of word processing."

I'm not clear why you believe a career change after becoming aware of rampant fraud on a taxpayer-funded air defense system means Earnest's testimony should not be believed?

I checked dates on all the aspects of the programs vs when he was supposedly there.
From the above-

His story does not jive.

Les Earnest - Wikipedia

"Lester Donald Earnest

What source did you use?

I used multiple sources. His own bio, mit’s, wiki, info on the sage system, bomarc, etc.
From the above-

His story does not jive.

Les Earnest - Wikipedia

"Lester Donald Earnest

What source did you use?

I used multiple sources. His own bio, mit’s, wiki, info on the sage system, bomarc, etc.
From the above-

His story does not jive.

Les Earnest - Wikipedia

"Lester Donald Earnest

What source did you use?
Got any links?

Duck duck go is your friend. I seriously get tired of doing others research. If you want to post something then verify it first. I could give you 20, but surf in private mode and closed out the tabs already. I’ll give you a hint. Start at wiki, and move out from there, researching what was happening when and where with those systems. You’ll learn something. Don’t believe every Tom, dick, and Harry. Here is one I hadn’t closed you can start with.
Semi-Automatic Ground Environment - Wikipedia

From the above-

His story does not jive.
Les Earnest - Wikipedia

"Lester Donald Earnest

What source did you use?
Got any links?

View attachment 237276

Why would I be surprised when gubmint stooges lie?...It's what they do.
Who tells government stooges which lies to tell?
group-of-thirty-fb73b70e-ebbb-4f6c-849c-ea3d1ac9465-resize-750.png

Rich white people.

Group of Thirty- Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

Military-Industrial-Congressional Frauds - Lester Earnest on RAI (2/4)
Lindorff-Pentagon-Juhasz_img.jpg

https://www.thenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Lindorff-Pentagon-Juhasz_img.jpg

"PAUL JAY: So up until now, you were working at MIT. You were then creating this great big fraud of an anti—a missile defense system, or a defense system that’s supposed to track with radar bombers that are coming in, Russian bombers that are supposed to attack. Except the whole system’s a crock, because it can’t work. That goes on for a long time. When do you [go to] Mitre, and what comes next?

"LESTER EARNEST: Well, I went into Mitre in 1958, along with my other colleagues. We were temporarily without housing. I ended up at an abandoned missile site, became my office. But eventually they built new buildings for this corporation.

"PAUL JAY: Which you just said was a very profitable nonprofit.

"PAUL JAY: Who shared the booty of the profit? Of the nonprofit? Everyone working there, I guess.

"LESTER EARNEST: Well, the management. And there was probably some bribery going on, although I have no direct knowledge of that. Because they were, in effect, supporting a whole series of fraudulent … what I call military-industrial congressional frauds.

"PAUL JAY: This is part of a theme, the enormous profit out of the hysteria created by the Cold War.

"LESTER EARNEST: Yes. And the way it worked was various corporations would bribe politicians—it’s legal, it’s called campaign contributions—and they would then fund these various projects that the Defense Department would then contract out, giving the crooks a lot of money. That’s still going strong today, 60 years later.

"PAUL JAY: So this anti—this defense system goes on for 25 years, moves from MIT to Mitre. You continue working on this system, but also you say there’s some other stuff that goes on which is a similar fraud.

"LESTER EARNEST: Yeah. Well, after I stepped aside from SAGE air defense, well, then I went to System 438L, which is the Air Force intelligence system that was supposed to computerize everything...."

Forum List

Back