Professor charged over scheme to use $4M in US grant money to conduct research for China

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I need to ask, as I've respected the history of the FBI and CIA, how are some politicians able to remain in politics if, and/or when, they or their family take money from communist China? I can't imagine a politician anywhere in the West having any suspicion against them of taking cash from Russia and not being arrested and/or exposed during the 1980's, certainly not in the 40 years prior.

So, with all of these arrests of university profs, how come nothing regarding politicians? Surely China must be operating directly with decision makers.

Professor charged over scheme to use $4M in US grant money to conduct research for China

An Ohio State University professor with ties to China is charged with using more than $4 million in U.S. grant money to develop rheumatology and immunology expertise for the Chinese government, according to an indictment unsealed Thursday.

Song Guo Zheng, 57, was arrested on May 22 at an airport in Anchorage, Alaska while preparing to board a charter flight to China, the U.S. Department of Justice said in a press release.

At the time of his arrest, Zheng was carrying three large bags, filed electronic devices, expired Chinese passports for his family, deeds for a property in China, among other items, the DOJ said.

Thursday’s indictment charges Zheng with grant fraud for not disclosing that he was engaged in a scheme to use approximately $4.1 million in grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to help the Chinese government. He has been ordered held without bond because a judge determined he is a flight risk.

Zheng is also charged with making false statements about his employment in China at the same time he was employed at Ohio State University, among other universities.

An affidavit filed after his arrest alleges that since 2013 Zheng had been participating in a Chinese Talent Plan, a program established by the Chinese government to recruit individuals with knowledge or access to foreign technology intellectual property.

Forum List

Back