CDZ Privacy with technology in the room ?

beagle9

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2011
Was sitting around having a conversation with the wife, when all of a sudden I heard my smart phone make a noise. So I picked it up to see what was up.

The Google assistant had been promted even though no one in the room had given the app the appropriate command be it "hey Google" or "ok Google" when it did what it did. So I looked upon picking the phone up, and it had brought up a few web pages in an attempt to figure out what we might have been looking for, even though we weren't looking for anything.

Hmmmm I thought. So then I went to audio recordings in my Google activity, and it had two recordings sitting there. I clicked on one of the recordings, and I couldn't believe my ears. It was a recording of me and the wife's conversation without our knowledge or anyone prompting it to record like it did..

It had some other form of activating excuse it gave, but I thought do what ?? I only agreed to "ok Google" or "hey Google". So what's this other method I didn't remember or know anything about ??

Anyone else experienced this ?? How can we trust technology like this ?? It's crazy.

Had to manually delete the bullcrap.

My old cell once sent a text to a coworker which as best I can tell originated with a commercial on TV as it sent her a link to this bizarre location along with directions to get there. The location had key words that corresponded to different locations and businesses in our area so that is why I assume it got them from commercials.

Was sitting around having a conversation with the wife, when all of a sudden I heard my smart phone make a noise. So I picked it up to see what was up.

The Google assistant had been promted even though no one in the room had given the app the appropriate command be it "hey Google" or "ok Google" when it did what it did. So I looked upon picking the phone up, and it had brought up a few web pages in an attempt to figure out what we might have been looking for, even though we weren't looking for anything.

Hmmmm I thought. So then I went to audio recordings in my Google activity, and it had two recordings sitting there. I clicked on one of the recordings, and I couldn't believe my ears. It was a recording of me and the wife's conversation without our knowledge or anyone prompting it to record like it did..

It had some other form of activating excuse it gave, but I thought do what ?? I only agreed to "ok Google" or "hey Google". So what's this other method I didn't remember or know anything about ??

Anyone else experienced this ?? How can we trust technology like this ?? It's crazy.

Had to manually delete the bullcrap.

My smartphone in the house is kept right next to the loudish TV, and in the car right under the loudish radio. If the TV is not on, the loudish stereo is blasting. I require constant input.

Google is not permitted in this establishment, nor Alexa nor Cortana nor any other.

How to turn on and/or off a listening app like google personal assistant in my phone ?? Thanks. It was just weird to have an app listen like that without our knowledge or control of it.

We got Google home, and we keep it unplugged until use it. The grandkids use that thing mainly for music. We don't really use it ourselves. Impressive at first, but got old real quick. That's just us though.

Forum List

Back